This is new is it a bug or a feature

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tasio Liberakis

This is new is it a bug or a feature

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 6:21 am

I have this effect heavy 8 min timeline that I'm trying to finish some time now, and I am rebuilding it because the renders don't stick, (I still think it has something to do with timeframes in the inspector, that were set in a previous version). My workflow when I start a session is to check show all frames (because the setting is not sticking), enable loop and press play in order to allow it to render, then wait for it to finish (30m+) and then render the other version I am working on. And then I am set to get in a couple of hours work on this very demanding personal project.

Recently, (17.2.1) It does not complete a render, and will crash, I checked the windows logs and monitored what was going on, apparently when rendering and playing at the same time, usage of RAM ramps up at a specific point in the timeline with three tracks overlays, time effects keyframes etc. And crashes when it exceeds the 32 GB I have (which were more than sufficient for this project previously, the problem would be video ram, which is not a problem now).

What is interesting is that if I monitor the render and stop playback it will ramp down ram usage and render up to where the timeline is and if I repeat the process I can render (blue line) the whole project. It used to render the whole timeline on its own. Setting smart or user doesn't seem to make a difference

I have been extremely supportive of your efforts since many years, gradually I replaced avid at my home studio and the school I am teaching, we are buying some bmpcc4k, because they come with the studio version and I presume we won't have any problems with light student projects.

But for the first time I am seriously considering reverting to Avid MC, mainly because I cannot finish this specific project which is very important to me, The reasons are that I am continuously obliged to jump through hoops because I started a project in a previous version and I made the mistake of updating as well as the fact that some minor fixes are extremely annoying to work around as well as time consuming.

A) renders don't stick across projects

B) various settings don't stick across projects

C) the optimized media workflow has been broken (while davinci keeps almost all legacy workflows relevant)

D) I need to select a clip and select retime or dig through properties or mark in and out to see its duration (Am I the only one that needs to know this frequently?

E) Has Davinci become a mac only affair?

I have praised your work repeatedly, and I understand the difficulties in integrating fusion and fairlight and all the new features. But editing is in the core of audiovisual production, and workflows which have been established in the last 25 years have proven indispensable and reflect greatly on the quality of the content produced. Thus I allow myself to post these thoughts unedited. Respectfully for your efforts.
W10 pro 22H2|X399 Taichi|TR4 1920x|64GB Hyper X@2133|
3060 12GB/Nvidia 531.41
Nvme system&scratch disks

Jim Simon

Re: This is new is it a bug or a feature

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 6:56 pm

A.) Cache normally does persist across sessions, if that's what you meant. I wouldn't expect a clip Cached in Project A to automatically show up Cached in Project B, though.

B.) A persistent annoyance to many. Add your vote to try and get this remedied.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=96350

C.) Define 'broken'. While we can no longer tell which clips have OM generated, those that do still function correctly.

D.) Select a clip and hit Ctrl+D. A dialog will pop up showing the Duration of that clip segment. (I never need this one myself. Just not critical to my editing.)

E.) Thankfully, no. :)
But regretfully, mac does still seem to be the preference at BMD. :(
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 12:36 am

Tasio Liberakis wrote:I have this effect heavy 8 min timeline that I'm trying to finish some time now, and I am rebuilding it because the renders don't stick, (I still think it has something to do with timeframes in the inspector, that were set in a previous version).

What specific source material are you using?

If your system specs are:

"W10pro|X399 Taichi|TR4 1920x |32GB Hyper X|1060 6GB GTX|Nvme system & scratch disks"

then I would say if you're trying to do a heavy grade with some Fusion clips or a lot of OFX plug-ins, or noise reduction and blur nodes, it could be a strain. Worse case, you could try Render in Place for the most stressful clips, then see if that helps. If you only have to deliver HD, you could try an HD timeline and see if that's less of a load on your system.

Otherwise, more RAM and a more-powerful GPU(s) will help. If you're dealing with Raw source files, it's possible Proxy media could be an effective workaround.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Tasio Liberakis

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 4:53 am

Thank you both for your postitive outlook, I am currently monitoring RAM usage, stopping playback waiting till the blue line reaches the playhead and then I continue rendering. I do that every morning and I keep resolve open all day. I consider this jumping through hoops, since it took me a while to figure out this workflow.

Moving the playhead to a clip and pressing control D to change the duration in order to see the duration, is also a convoluted work around, especially when I would need at a glance to see the duration of adjoining clips, or audio clips etc. In order to trim a couple of frames here and there. This is an old school editing habit--hard to kick. Not to mention the other settings that don't stick.

Resisting the temptation to define "broken", being able to see which clips have optimized media and at what resolution is absolutely necessary in a workflow that often requires rendering from higher bitrate transcodes. It was a trusted workflow developed and perfected for many years (easy to teach, and very useful in controlling limited storage space) that is know missing an essential part, thus does not work as it did, thus... I presume that the new workflow is equally effective, since you can use the cached clips anyway you want, but I don't necessarily have the time to integrate it into my workflow and/or my classes.

Already ordered more RAM, first generation Ryzen is finicky with Ram, that is why I hesitated (and I was covered up till know, my timelines aren't that heavy). GPU is out of date, of course, but upgrading is out of the question currently, due to prices and availability in Europe.

I much appreciate all the upgrades and BM's response to the community, but as I am rapidly turning into an old dog, learning new tricks is starting to deplete my fading resources.
3060 12GB/Nvidia 531.41

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 6:26 am

This doesn’t sound normal
Can u detail the source clip res, codec and frame rate.
Does this play in real time in the media pool viewer?

Is the timeline res HD? And frame rate the same as the source clips?
If u have no text + or fusion effects does the timeline play?

What is the playback speed in the color page?

Have u un-installed the GPU driver and done a clean install, not update, of the current driver?

Failing all these, u could post link to nfo and resolve generated logs.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jim Simon

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 9:35 pm

Tasio Liberakis wrote:being able to see which clips have optimized media and at what resolution is absolutely necessary
Agreed.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Tasio Liberakis

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 9:24 am

I updated the gpu driver, did a clean install, and this solved the ramping RAM usage issue, and the crashes. Thanks Peter, for your input.

Rendering is consistently at 12- 15 fps, and RAM usage is low, I can deal with the blue line not staying blue across saves, in this short project, since it is much faster to render. It is an HD timeline and source material is mostly UHD mp4, but I export most effects that are heavy to MXF, and re import then. fps are 25p, always. I maybe using optimized media but since I don't know which clips are trancoded, :D I really can't tell you.
3060 12GB/Nvidia 531.41

Return to DaVinci Resolve