DaVinci Resolve 17.2.1 crashes when selecting Preferences

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peelings

DaVinci Resolve 17.2.1 crashes when selecting Preferences

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 5:11 pm

Hi there,

Apologies if this is answered in another thread, but my searching didn't yield anything that was helpful for me. When I try to access the Preferences menu (DaVinci Resolve > Preferences...) DaVinci crashes. I'm able to use DaVinci perfectly fine otherwise (I've only started using it, but was able to make two short and simple video clips with no problems whatsoever).

Other than updating my driver, are there any other troubleshooting steps I should take? I've attached a link to my logs in case that's helpful. Thank you!

Graphics Driver: NVIDIA Studio Driver v462.59

Latest log files:
https://drive. google.com/file/d/1uwDCQ6J_hGYU7g7pyvqPPsUHGIr4uLAa/view?usp=sharing

Screenshot of menu selection: https://imgur .com/a/qNyB0ci

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17.2.1 crashes when selecting Preference

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 8:16 pm

That's a new one.

Does it only happen with a project loaded?

If you launch Resolve, and then at the Project Manager page, press the CTRL and , (comma) keys at the same time, does it crash, or does the Preferences display open?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Peelings

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 9:36 pm

Great question! I just gave it a try from the Project Manager and it still crashed

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 10:57 pm

Lets try the simple thing first.

In the Windows Control Panel Programs and Features panel, right click DaVinci Resolve and select uninstall. This will not affect your current projects.

Then reinstall it with the 17.2.1 installer. Did that change anything?
Dwaine Maggart

Peelings

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 4:30 am

Sorry for the delay! Just tried to uninstall and reinstall and unfortunately the problem still persists.

Peelings

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 4:40 pm

Ah so sorry, I thought I replied to this. Yesterday I tried uninstalling/reinstalling from a freshly downloaded executable and the problem still persists

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 6:35 am

Then it looks like we'll need to do a clean install of Resolve, which will delete all your current project data and user info.

Sounds like Resolve is running if you don't open preferences. If you care about the few projects you've already done, in the Resolve Project Manager page, right click the desired projects (one at a time) and select Export Project. If you have stills or LUTs in the project you'd like to keep, then select Export Project with Stills/LUTs.

Exit Resolve. Now we'll do the clean install.

Uninstall Resolve using the Windows Control Panel - Programs and Features.

In the Programs and Features panel, right click DaVinci Resolve and select Uninstall.

Also uninstall any other Resolve related apps, such as Resolve Keyboard, Resolve Panels and Fairlight apps.

Don't uninstall PostgreSQL 9.5, if it's installed.

After Uninstalling Resolve, in File Explorer, check that the C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve folder has been removed. If the DaVinci Resolve folder still exists, delete it.

For the next steps, you need to make sure you can see hidden files/folders in File Explorer.

In the Cortana search window, type: file explorer options, and then open the File Explorer Options window.

In the File Explorer Options window, select the View tab and In the Hidden files and folders area, select:

"Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Also uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

In File Explorer, go to folder C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design

Rename the DaVinci Resolve folder to DaVinci Resolve.bak

In File Explorer, go to folder C:\Users\Peelings\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design

Rename the DaVinci Resolve folder to DaVinci Resolve.bak

Now reinstall Resolve. Don't install any Fairlight related items.

Launch Resolve. What you should see is the onboarding video. Watch or skip that and do the Quick Setup.

Once Resolve is running, check that you can go into Preferences without crashing.

If you made Project Export .drps of your existing projects, you can Import those back into your database.
Dwaine Maggart

Peelings

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 5:46 pm

Hey again,

Sorry I didn't get a chance to try this out until now. I followed your steps and reinstalled DaVinci and it still crashes when I open preferences.

Where were two small differences when I was doing the reinstall though:
1) There was no DaVinci Resolve folder in the C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design folder for me to rename (presumably because of the uninstall. Also a previous step says to delete it, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a hidden folder or not)
2) When I launched DaVinci for the first time, I did not get an onboarding video (I don't recall doing an onboarding video on my initial install either)

Unsure if this means I didn't completely uninstall it, but in any case DaVinci still crashes when I try to open preferences with the keyboard shortcut or through the menu.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 10:33 pm

You said:

1) There was no DaVinci Resolve folder in the C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design folder for me to rename (presumably because of the uninstall. Also a previous step says to delete it, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a hidden folder or not)

The uninstall does not touch that folder. It absolutely has to be there, and it has to be renamed, for the clean install to work.

I just did a test to see if Resolve would launch if that folder was not there. And it does, and it creates that folder, if it doesn't already exist. And opening Preferences works with that created folder.

C:\ProgramData IS a hidden folder. Do you see that? And if so, do you see the Blackmagic Design folder. And if so, there is no DaVinci Resolve folder?
Dwaine Maggart

Peelings

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 10:57 pm

Hey again,

I misread ProgramData as Program Files! But I tried all of the steps again properly and the preferences are still making DaVinci crash

Peelings

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 5:31 pm

Hey again,

Inexplicably I'm now able to access Preferences using both the keyboard shortcut and the menu. I'm still on 17.2.1 so maybe there was some issue with Windows that was preventing it from opening it previously.

Sorry if there was no definitive cause to this problem, but thank you for all your help!

JussiP

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 7:27 pm

Hi! I have exactly the same problem, the DaVinci Resolve (v. 17.3.1 Build 5) crashes when selecting Preferences. I tried to do all the tricks, uninstall all stuff related to Resolve and then installed it again, but the problem stays still there. Also the program crashes, when tuning colors of the clips and images in timeline, but that's another story.
Any hints, what I can try?

Br, Jussi

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 10:36 pm

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

blankdotantho

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 3:42 am

Hello I have the same issue. I've tried everything you said and it still crashes when I select preferences. I have the latest version 17.4
Have you guys found a solution or reason for this problem

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 4:24 pm

In the Resolve Help menu, select "Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop"

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

blankdotantho

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 7:03 am

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 2:11 am

It says the file does not exist. Can you please try sending the NFO file again?
Dwaine Maggart

blankdotantho

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 8:46 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:It says the file does not exist. Can you please try sending the NFO file again?

https:// drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SJGE3a3ZANjqI9gFJ0re8zQLlM4AoW0_?usp=sharing

This should work hopefully.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 4:17 pm

Thanks for the file.

Open Windows Control Panels - Programs and Features panel.

Right click DaVinci Resolve Control Panels, and select Uninstall.

After the uninstall, check Resolve and you should be able to access Preferences now.

Assuming that works, run the Resolve 17.4 installer again. It should allow you to install the Control Panels app. Do that. Then verify you can still access Preferences.
Dwaine Maggart

blankdotantho

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 4:27 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Thanks for the file.

After the uninstall, check Resolve and you should be able to access Preferences now.

Assuming that works, run the Resolve 17.4 installer again. It should allow you to install the Control Panels app. Do that. Then verify you can still access Preferences.

It works thanks! Who knew hours of headache and research can be solved by such a simple solution.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 5:43 am

I do, now. But only after days of headache and research.
Dwaine Maggart

blankdotantho

PostMon Nov 01, 2021 3:49 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I do, now. But only after days of headache and research.

:D :D :D

I appreciate what you do!

GuillemV

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 8:20 am

I'm experiencing a similar issue, with Resolve sometimes crashing when I open the Preferences (mainly with the Cmd+, shortcut).
I do that often to modify the Ripple node changes behaviour. it crashes one out of every 5 times, randomly.
Much more when in a Collaborative project.

There is no way to uninstall the BM Control Panels in mac, is there?
I'm on a 7.1 Mac Pro with a dual 6900XT, OS 11.6.1 and DR v17.4.2
Last edited by GuillemV on Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
12-core Mac Pro 7,1 / 96GB RAM
2x 6900XT
DR 17.4.5
macOS 11.6.4

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 5:43 pm

You can delete the DaVinci Control Panels Setup app from the DaVinci Resolve folder in Applications. Then run the Resolve installer to reinstall it (and Resolve).

But if the issue is intermittent, it's not going to be the same as above.

Next time it crashes when you attempt to open Preferences, when you restart, load or start a new project (so you can access the Resolve Help menu) then in the Resolve Help menu, select Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop, and send us the log file it creates. It will likely be too large to attach, so put it on a file sharing site and provide a link.
Dwaine Maggart

rbhughes538

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 5:56 pm

Thanks, I had the same issue. Uninstalling DaVanci Resolve Control Panels worked for me.

vmiceli

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 10:38 pm

This was almost perfect :-(

I have DaVinci Studio 17.4.2 and it will always crash by going to preferences [Ctrl] + [,] 100% of the time.
Following the instructions above and uninstalling the DaVinci Control Panels app, the issue will go away, reliably. However after installing the Control Panels back again, the crashing behaviour will come back in all cases once more. Since I'd like to use my speed editor, I think I need the Control Panels to enable bluetooth and do firmware updates... so it would appears I'm stuck with a crashing Control Panel App...
BTW, starting the DaVinci control panels app from the windows menu by itself (without even running Studio 17), it will pop up the app window for about 1 sec and then it will disappear (I'm assuming this is not the expected behavior). So it looks like the issue is with the Control Panels app somehow and I'm not sure there is any way to capture crashing logs for it... Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Vince

racs9941

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 7:39 pm

Hi,

I was having the same issue, and this thankfully worked. However, when I install the Control Panels app again, the problem comes back. What can I do?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 5:05 am

What version of Resolve? And free or Studio?
Dwaine Maggart

vmiceli

PostTue Dec 14, 2021 4:49 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:What version of Resolve? And free or Studio?

Dwaine, I'm on 17.4.2 Studio. There is something going on with the control panels app...

Thx,

V.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 14, 2021 11:52 pm

Vincenzo and Oscar: Install the DaVinci Resolve Control Panels app, and immediately after a crash when trying to open Resolve Preferences, restart Resolve and load or start a new project, just for the purposes of accessing the Resolve Help menu, and select "Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop" to generate a Resolve log, and send that.

Also immediately after the crash, open the Windows System Information app, and select File - Save to generate a .NFO file with the system info. And send that.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 11:10 am

Another test to try: Does the Preferences crash happen if you don't have the Resolve panel/speed editor connected?
Dwaine Maggart

vmiceli

PostFri Dec 17, 2021 6:21 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Another test to try: Does the Preferences crash happen if you don't have the Resolve panel/speed editor connected?

Hi Dwaine, the problem was occurring irrespective of the speed editor being plugged in or not.

However, since I reinstalled the control panel setup as per your instruction on the earlier post I can now enter the preferences without a crash, in fact I cannot make it crash at all. What is still broken though is the control panel setup itself. As previously described, it won't run for more than a second once it is invoked by plugging the speed editor. Should I create a new thread specific to that issue?

Thanks,

Vincenzo

GuillemV

PostSat Dec 18, 2021 10:11 am

Thanks Dwaine, sorry it took me long to get back.

Please download the crash log:
https://we.tl/t-mL6zRfKaoU

It crashes on a project that's become very heavy -working collaborative on 8x 1h episodes with multiple formats, and my 2x 6900XT mac Pro in performing very poorly.
I'll get rid of all versions, stills and timelines, but the project is heavy and collaboration is, despite overall a great job, somehow unstable.
Thanks!!
2x 6900XT
DR 17.4.5
macOS 11.6.4

Rohit Singhal

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 04, 2022 4:07 am

Hi Guillem. Can you please resend your logs.
Rohit Singhal
DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

GuillemV

PostTue Jan 04, 2022 11:57 am

Rohit Singhal wrote:Hi Guillem. Can you please resend your logs.

Thanks Rohit! There it goes:
https://we.tl/t-asifpEreP1

It's a recurrent issue, I can open preferences right after launching Resolve, but the longer I am working with it, the higher the chances Cmd+, will make it crash with no further warning.

Let me know if I can be of further help.
2x 6900XT
DR 17.4.5
macOS 11.6.4

rborroto

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 7:02 pm

This fixed the crashing problem for me. I had written a post about this that has not been approved, so ignore it. Thank you.

jeasolar

PostTue May 24, 2022 1:00 am

I had the same problem with a newly installed v17.4.6, the program closed when I tried to look at Preferences. I took the advice to uninstall the davinci control panel and indeed that solved the problem! I don't think I need the control panel anyway. So thanks for that.

Return to DaVinci Resolve