New Mini Panel, odd behavior on Highlight used with offset

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ElliotMSmith

New Mini Panel, odd behavior on Highlight used with offset

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 6:15 am

I just picked up a new Mini Panel and I love it. I saw some interesting behavior and I'm not sure what to make of it but it's neat.

Last night I went to begin grading a shot on the first node I'm putting the panel into Offset mode, then moving the trace to the middle of the scopes, then turn off Offset, in the same node I'm bringing the primaries lift down, tweak gamma, and gain up. Bringing the Lift down works fine, gamma works fine too, but the highlights do something strange: when I use the gain ring it added really nice contrast instead. Honestly it looks fantastic, but I don't know if what I'm doing is a glitch, something advanced or obscure, or how to do it on purpose to use it consistently or in other scenarios. The way the contrast is "split" is different than normal, perhaps as if the pivot had been set somewhere other than standard. The darks went down and the highlights went up, it was not a standard gain nor a standard contrast adjustment.
On the GUI the contrast values don't change, the only thing I'm seeing change is the gain value, but clearly the Lift is moving as well though there's no numerical value associated with it. Not on contrast either.

I added serial nodes and adjusted highlight and contrast after the first node and both behaved normally, neither behaved in the same way as what I was seeing by adjusting the highlight in node 1 that also has offset adjustments made to it, the contrast splits differently than normal, and I like it but I want to know what it is.

I've quit out of Resolve between then and now and turned the panel off and back on, I went back and tested it again tonight and the behavior was not exhibited the first time. I even tried to adjust it on the same clips, but the gain ring worked as standard. Then I put the computer to sleep, turned it back on and now it's happening again.

Perhaps it was a glitch, but if anyone knows more about it I'm interested. I'm on Resolve 16.2.7.010 , panel software 1.3.2. The footage is h.264 with ProRes422 optimized media. 2017 iMac running Mojave with Blackmagic EGPU pro. Maybe this has already been fixed and I'm just running older software.

I'd like to know what's causing it so I can both do it on purpose and prevent it on accident.
ElliotTheColorist.com

ElliotMSmith

Re: New Mini Panel, odd behavior on Highlight used with offs

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 3:56 am

Here's a video -
ElliotTheColorist.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve