B&W day for night footage help

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

gabexwolf

B&W day for night footage help

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 6:49 pm

Hello! I am editing some footage that was shot during the day that is supposed to look like night. It looks very nightlike, and I was able to make a mask of the sky and darken it. There are still some spots of the image that I would like to darken and need some ideas with how to go about it. The shot is the side of a garage, and there is a moving shadow of some branches and some very bright spots of the garage from the sun. Is there a feature where I can select the specific shade of grey made by the sun and replace it with a darker grey? Or maybe there's an easier way!

Thank you!

Jim Simon

Re: B&W day for night footage help

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 5:21 pm

Shadows in Day for Night shots have long been a problem, even for Hollywood. The moon just doesn't cast the same kind of shadows, and that difference has always been pretty obvious in films.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 5:37 pm

There is no difference in shadows between moonlight and sunlight besides absolute light intensity. How does photon know to shade differently?

I will believe it if someone can articulate the difference from sunlight on this photo: https://www.123rf.com/photo_69692382_lo ... north.html

Or on landscape shots on this page: https://twistedsifter.com/2014/01/long- ... en-almond/
Last edited by Hendrik Proosa on Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do stuff

Jim Simon

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 5:39 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:There is no difference in shadows between moonlight and sunlight
There is to my eye. The sun's shadows are harder, with more defined edges, more contrast between shadow and non-shadow.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 5:43 pm

Edge softness is a product of angular area of light source. Sun and moon are roughly the same size in the sky.

Shadows on that photo are just as hard and contrasty, look at the snow covered rocks on lower right area.
I do stuff

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 5:48 pm

I do stuff

Andy Mees

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 9:49 pm

gabexwolf wrote:Is there a feature where I can select the specific shade of grey made by the sun and replace it with a darker grey?

You can use the Qualifier tool in the Color page to select the luma range you want to adjust and, if necessary, further isoloate / target that selection with power windows.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Return to DaVinci Resolve