Manually Sync Audio and Append Track

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

pbuedi

Manually Sync Audio and Append Track

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 1:57 pm

Hi there,

I hope this is possible. I know the "Auto Sync Audio" feature from the Edit page and it has that neat option to just add the Audio to a 2nd Track. So You can switch back and forth between the original Audio and the Synced Audio in the Timeline as needed.

Now when manually syncing Audio in the Media page, you can just link / unlink the Audio to a clip and this always seems to "overwrite" the original Audiotrack from the Clip.
Is there an option to keep the original Audio and just add the linked Audio to an additional track like we can do with the Auto Sync Audio feature?

Thank you very much in advance :-)

greenwoodt

Re: Manually Sync Audio AND Append Track

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 9:03 am

Please implement this feature.

I'm working on a 30 minute narrative and I have a dinner scene where I'm syncing multiple lavalier microphones with a boom to two separate cameras.

If I separate each take into bins I can often manage to get the auto sync based on waveform and append to connect all the tracks to each camera take so that I can edit off the media pool and it brings all the tracks in with the clips while editing BUT
occasionally I get a track sync failure from the auto sync and then I have to manually sync the tracks - ONLY it won't let me sync more than ONE so I'll be missing tracks down the pipeline when I pass this along to the sound designer.

I wouldn't think this would be too hard to implement. You already have the functionality built in with the auto sync feature and part of it with the manual sync under the audio tab. You would just need to add functionality to add more than one track when doing it manually.

ALTERNATIVELY
I wonder if it would be possible to add this feature on the timeline page.
We could dump the clip with all the tracks on a timeline and drag them around manually to sync them up and then once we have them all synced on the timeline we could select all and use perhaps a right click option to sync clip based on timeline (So that the audio tracks aligned under the video clip sync to that video clip as they've been manually placed in the timeline). And then when you pull the video clip from the media pool on a timeline once you've done this, it brings in the video synced with all the tracks (just like if you'd auto sync in media pool and it was successful).

Either would be an ENORMOUS help for organizing sound media on larger projects.

Thanks!

Nick Pair

Re: Manually Sync Audio AND Append Track

PostFri May 12, 2023 3:35 am

+1

jcodeglia

Re: Manually Sync Audio and Append Track

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 11:49 pm

+1. Productions run into this situation all the time. Multiple audio recordings for a single camera recording. Auto-sync with waveform isn't always available for cameras without scratch audio. Need a way to manually sync multiple audio files to the same take.

Return to DaVinci Resolve