How best to organize projects

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Arborglyph

How best to organize projects

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 2:37 pm

Howdy,

I'm switching to Resolve and could use some advice about how to organize projects.

I produce a video every month for the YouTube Channel Driving Line. We generally use new footage and almost always mix in old footage. So having a repository of the file footage in the project is necessary.

Would you make one project and have a new timeline for each new video or have a project for each new video and import the file footage into it?

Thanks,

-M

Frank Glencairn

Re: How best to organize projects

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 3:44 pm

Use smart bins. So you can make a new project for every video, but your footage is always already there.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Jim Simon

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 3:44 pm

Not sure there is an objective 'best' here, only preferences.

I would probably prefer to keep the projects separate. You can add media that gets reused to a Power Bin, so those clips will show up in all projects in that database.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Arborglyph

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 4:04 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Use smart bins. So you can make a new project for every video, but your footage is always already there.

Thanks for the tip. I will look in to more info on smart bins. You're saying Smart bins can span projects?

-M

Jim Simon

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 5:51 pm

Ability to Save Smart Bins and Smart Filters Across Projects (version 17)

If you have a commonly used Smart Bin or Smart Filter set up, you can now use it across multiple projects in your database.

To set up Smart Bins or Smart Filters across projects:
– Create a new Smart Bin or Smart Filter, and turn on the “Show in all projects”
checkbox in the upper right corner of the Create Smart Bin dialog.

These persistent Smart Bins will be found in the User Smart Bins folder in the Smart Bins pane in every project. Persistent Smart Filters will be found in the User Smart Filters section of the Clips drop-down menu in the Color page.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve