Hardware Queestions - DSLR with no headphone jack

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

eager to learn

Hardware Queestions - DSLR with no headphone jack

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 7:44 pm

Hi my esteemed list-mates,

Is there a hardware section on this forum?

If not, would you please share any good video/audio related forums for video creation?

Audacity was great for pure audio but I've got a DSLR I record with that doesn't have a headphone jack to check for audio sound so I'm interested in what other video creators have used as work-arounds.

Thank you so much.

Sid Jervis

Re: Hardware Queestions - DSLR with no headphone jack

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 8:26 pm

eager to learn wrote:Hi my esteemed list-mates,

Is there a hardware section on this forum?

If not, would you please share any good video/audio related forums for video creation?

Audacity was great for pure audio but I've got a DSLR I record with that doesn't have a headphone jack to check for audio sound so I'm interested in what other video creators have used as work-arounds.

Thank you so much.

Hi,
I wouldn't record audio with just a camera, the audio usually isn't good enough. I use a field recorder (Tascam DR70D in my case) and the camera.
The better audio from the field recorder is used with the video. The camera audio is used as a sync track only,
In my limited experience, automatic audio synchronization works quite well in Resolve.
What are you recording?

Jim Simon

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 3:21 pm

I think Sid has good advice. Send the audio to a separate recorder that does have a headphone jack, and feed that to the camera as a scratch track for later sync.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

eager to learn

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 5:51 pm

In Option 2 this guys talks re: using an HDMI to VGA adapter when your DSLR camera has no headphones. We have a limited budget so no $ for a sound mixing board nor a better camera. The problem happens when a subject inadvertently turns the lavaliere mic off on him and we can't tell because we have no headphone jack on the camera. This is supposed to give you a headphone jack.

I saw some on Amazon here.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=male+full+hd ... nb_sb_noss

Any you think might be worth a try for $10 or less?

Thank you.

jameslandry

PostSat Feb 26, 2022 7:17 am

I love the FOINNEX VGA to HDMI Adapter for the convenience it brings. I only have to plug the VGA male adapter, the USB connector, the audio jack, and the HDMI on the opposite side.

Return to DaVinci Resolve