"Reset Speed Curve" Option on Track

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lychon

"Reset Speed Curve" Option on Track

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 3:40 am

I was measuring the loudness levels on my video by tracking the blue line that is graphed in the "Main" audio track (enabled through the "Index" menu) and wanted to reset the blue line. I right-clicked on the Main track and clicked "reset speed curve"- apparently, this was not the function I was looking for, but am wondering what, if anything, that did. Nothing appeared to change afterward, but I am concerned that I accidentally removed or added some effect by accidentally clicking "reset speed curve". Again, this was on the "Main" track- no clips were selected. Thank you.

Lychon

Re: "Reset Speed Curve" Option on Track

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 4:35 pm

Anyone used this feature? Bueller? Bueller?

Andy Mees

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 5:05 pm

Elastic Wave Audio Retiming ... pg 3288 in the manual
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Lychon

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 5:33 pm

There's a manual??? Haha, just kidding- I think I read that part in the reference manual after searching for "reset speed curve", but still couldn't figure out if clicking that option on the "Main" track did anything, since the manual only references using that option on a specific clip (pg. 3290). I am guessing no since I don't recall ever implementing any elastic curves or speed key frames in my project, though I do have many video segments that are reversed and slowed down (using the standard retime controls, which seems to be something completely different from a "speed curve" applied to audio). Even if I did have speed key frames, I'm not sure if clicking "reset speed curve" on the "Main" track with no clip selected would do anything? Thank you for the page reference so I didn't have to search it again, though.

Andy Mees

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 7:38 pm

Fair points Alexander ... I'd have thought, logically, that the menu option wouldn't be enabled if there was nothing it could act on... and no amount of right clicking on the (Main) track on my laptop here is enabling that option ... but when I right click on a regular clip then it does immediately enable that 'reset' option seemingly regardless of whether the clip in question has any retiming applied or not... so much for my logical assumptions! Best wait for a Fairlight expert to jump in.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Lychon

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 8:35 pm

Yeah, it is a bit strange- hopefully a Fairlight expert catches wind of this post. Thanks for the info on how it looked on your laptop, btw.

Lychon

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 3:22 am

Gonna bump this one last time to see if anyone familiar with Fairlight can opine about what clicking "reset speed curve" on the "main" audio track (or on any track, for that matter) does.

Jim Simon

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 2:01 pm

I get that option only by right-clicking on the clip. Doesn't show up for tracks.

Studio 17.2.1 for Windows.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 3:10 pm

Lychon wrote:what clicking "reset speed curve" on the "main" audio track (or on any track, for that matter) does.
Andy provided the answer previously.

“To remove all speed keyframes and eliminate the Elastic Wave retiming effect: Right-click a clip and choose Reset Speed Curve.”

DaVinci Resolve Manual | Page 3290 | Chapter 176 | Audio Effects

Lychon

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 8:38 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:Andy provided the answer previously.

“To remove all speed keyframes and eliminate the Elastic Wave retiming effect: Right-click a clip and choose Reset Speed Curve.”

DaVinci Resolve Manual | Page 3290 | Chapter 176 | Audio Effects

That was why I was/am confused: I am able to select the option on a track (see image below), and the manual does not appear to mention what, if anything, selecting the option on a track does. The picture below shows the option menu when right-clicking on the "main" track, but the same option for "reset speed curve" appears when I right click on any of the audio tracks in my project. I am in Resolve 16 still, by the way.
Attachments
Reset Speed Curve.jpg
Reset Speed Curve.jpg (264.71 KiB) Viewed 374 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve