Re-Linking Original Media to Proxy Edit keeping synced audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

samueloliversiegel

Re-Linking Original Media to Proxy Edit keeping synced audio

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 4:05 pm

Hi all,

We are having major difficulties figuring out how to re-link our original media to the proxy clips in the timeline. To re-conform to bin seems to be the best way to relink the video files, but when we do this, it also replaces the audio (which we've already autosynced in the media pool) back to the in camera audio. We want to replace the video while keeping the good sound we have already synced.

If we copy the audio tracks to a different timeline and then copy the newly reconformed video back over the audio tracks that would potentially work, but then all the clips will be unlinked from the audio tracks which would be a nightmare as if I were to select everything and link, everything would be linked together instead of individual clips.

Any ideas? Surely there is a way to re-conform just the video and not change the audio... no??? :S

Best,

Sam

JJ Falsetta

Re: Re-Linking Original Media to Proxy Edit keeping synced a

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 10:57 am

samueloliversiegel wrote:Hi all,

We are having major difficulties figuring out how to re-link our original media to the proxy clips in the timeline. To re-conform to bin seems to be the best way to relink the video files, but when we do this, it also replaces the audio (which we've already autosynced in the media pool) back to the in camera audio. We want to replace the video while keeping the good sound we have already synced.

If we copy the audio tracks to a different timeline and then copy the newly reconformed video back over the audio tracks that would potentially work, but then all the clips will be unlinked from the audio tracks which would be a nightmare as if I were to select everything and link, everything would be linked together instead of individual clips.

Any ideas? Surely there is a way to re-conform just the video and not change the audio... no??? :S

Best,

Sam

Hey Sam! Have you found a workaround to this? Thx
Resolve Studio 16.2 - MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 - iMac 27” late 2012 - 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 - 32GB DDR3 1600 - AMD Radeon RX580 eGPU Core X

MasterJustino

PostMon May 16, 2022 5:25 pm

JJ Falsetta wrote:
samueloliversiegel wrote:Hi all,

Best,

Sam

Hey Sam! Have you found a workaround to this? Thx

Frustrating ****, huh?
I have a simple workaround for that, but I recommend you export the project first for safety.
Granted your original audio is still in your media pool somewhere, you can simply auto-sync by timecode with the video again once the proxies have been replaced with original media. Afterwards, refresh your timeline by opening a different one and going back. You should hear and see the audio returned to the correct channels. You can also confirm by checking the clip attributes and seeing if the embedded metadata is correct.

Can't say this is the best way, but it's worth a shot to see if it works for you.

Jim Simon

PostMon May 16, 2022 10:26 pm

I've never tried this, but...right click on a clip in the bin and Relink Proxy Media maybe?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

luhonors

PostMon Aug 22, 2022 9:02 pm

From media pool: "re-link selected clip" to where your original file is. Then "unlink proxy media." The proxy media should go away and the file should be linked to the original.

Return to DaVinci Resolve