Much Modified Fusion Effect

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Basjoe

Much Modified Fusion Effect

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 11:46 am

Resolve novice here. In my video I've incorporated some stills taken with a mobile phone. As the stills are 1080p, and my video is otherwise 4k, I've shrunk the stills a little so that they don't appear too grainy. I decided to place a Fusion Effect on them to dress them up a little. The supplied effects are useful, though none are perfect for my purposes.

So, I dropped the "Video Camera" Fusion Effect on a still and edited the Effect in the Fusion page to take out some features and put others in, alter layout of some of the elements, etc., and I'm now happy with it. What I'd really like to do is save this "new" Fusion Effect somehow, so that it appears in my Toolbox, and I can then subsequently use it in other projects. I just can't seem to find out how to do this in the manual.

Any help appreciated.

Best Regards
Graham Laws
Resolve Studio 18.6 (always latest version), BM Speed Editor
Windows 10 Pro with all updates
Ryzen 9 5950X, EVGA RTX3080 with Studio driver, ASRock X570 Creator, 64GB DDR4, 1TB and 2TB Corsair MP600 , Sandisk Extreme 2TB SSD
LG OLEDCX48
Sony FX30

Basjoe

Re: Much Modified Fusion Effect

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 6:43 am

From the lack of advice, I'm surmising that what I'm asking for is currently impossible. So I'm wondering whether anybody can suggest a workaround ? Surely, I'm not the first to encounter this requirement.

Best Regards
Graham Laws
Ryzen 9 5950X, EVGA RTX3080 with Studio driver, ASRock X570 Creator, 64GB DDR4, 1TB and 2TB Corsair MP600 , Sandisk Extreme 2TB SSD
LG OLEDCX48
Sony FX30

Andy Mees

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 7:07 am

Chapter 67 in the manual Graham.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Sander de Regt

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 10:11 am

Basjoe wrote:From the lack of advice, I'm surmising that what I'm asking for is currently impossible. So I'm wondering whether anybody can suggest a workaround ? Surely, I'm not the first to encounter this requirement.

Best Regards
Graham Laws

The only thing you can surmise is that not enough people saw your post or had the knowledge to reply.
It's also in the Resolve section (which makes sense) but this section has a lot of posts daily so some will slip through the cracks.

I'm not a frequent Resolve user myself, but there a couple of ways to reuse Fusion settings/compositions.
From the Fusion page you can export the flow as composition. You can save the setup you created as a macro. Recently some improvements have been made to use and reuse these elements. If you look through the 'what's new section' in the release notes of Resolve 17, 17.1 and 17.2 you'll probably find some references to this.

It's hard to determine your skill level based on your post, so it's difficult to decide how much detail needs to be in the explanations we come up with.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Samuel S

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 1:04 pm

Asking as a newbie but would this be the equivalent of a powergrade that you're looking for in Fusion?

Basjoe

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 5:01 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess saving it just isn't as easy as editing the Fusion Effect in the first place. In my naivety, I'd imagined there would be an option to "Save Fusion Effect As...", and that the result would then become visible in Toolbox/Effects/Fusion Effects.

I've only been using Resolve for a few weeks, so everything I touch has to be learned anew. I tried saving a .settings file macro, but couldn't subsequently find it in the Toolbox.

Back to the drawing board ! Thanks anyway.

Best Regards
Graham Laws
LG OLEDCX48
Sony FX30

xunile

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 5:43 pm

There are videos on Youtube about how to save Fusion presets. I have one about saving Fusion Transitions here. You basically create a macro and then save it to the appropriate folder.

This video is about saving Fusion Effects.

Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Basjoe

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 5:55 am

One of the things that has attracted me to Resolve is the sheer number of knowledgeable enthusiasts who have produced useful educational (and sometimes entertaining) videos on YouTube. Obviously when time is limited it's important to stay focused, but I have not seen either of the videos you have suggested, so I will find time today.

Many Thanks
Graham Laws
LG OLEDCX48
Sony FX30

Basjoe

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 9:24 am

The second video was exactly what I needed ! 7:50 onwards. Drag and drop ! That's what I was missing. Thanks so much.

Best Regards
Graham Laws
LG OLEDCX48
Sony FX30

Return to DaVinci Resolve