Speed editor won't connect via bluetooth after update

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

vindibona1

Speed editor won't connect via bluetooth after update

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 9:26 pm

All was working with the Speed Editor and Davinci, both bluetooth and USBc. Then Davinci Resolve had a pop-up that said there was an updated needed. It would not update via bluetooth, so I thought to update it via USB. And it appeared that the update was successful.

However it will not connect via bluetooth even though the computer recognizes it as a bluetooth device. I tried to remove and reinitialize the editor and the computer once again recognizes it. However when I open Davinci it does not activate the controller. I can get it to work when connected via USB, but would prefer to use wirelessly.

What do I have to do to fix this? TIA

Charles Bennett

Re: Speed editor won't connect via bluetooth after update

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 10:15 pm

Does it show that it is connected?
Attachments
SE Bluetooth Connected.jpg
SE Bluetooth Connected.jpg (89.68 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

vindibona1

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 11:51 pm

@Charles Bennett

Thanks Charles.

I did exactly that and it says that is connected and has 98% battery. The computer sees the editor but the editor does not become active when opening DR Studio 17. I have tried twice now to delete the device and reinstall it. And while the computer recognizes it Davinci does not. It all worked fine until the last update that Davinci kept bugging me to install... which I could not do via USB though it had flawless USB connectivity before.

Any other thoughts?

liushunet

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 1:37 am

I have the same problems as you. But I tried to delete the bluetooth device, and then re-searched for the device, it was able to connect again. But after I restarted resolve a few times, the same problem occurred again, and I needed to repeat this operation again.

vindibona1

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 3:04 am

liushunet wrote:I have the same problems as you. But I tried to delete the bluetooth device, and then re-searched for the device, it was able to connect again. But after I restarted resolve a few times, the same problem occurred again, and I needed to repeat this operation again.

YES... THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM EXPERIENCING. NOW I CANNOT GET IT TO CONNECT VIA BLUETOOTH AT ALL.

Is there anyone to call at BMD to get help to work this tech problem out? I really don't want the editor to be tethered to the computer. It was fine before. It wasn't broke, so why did they "fix" it... breaking it in the process????

Ronnke

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 3:14 am

I'm experiencing the exact same problem after updating the Speed Editor... :(

Ronnke

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 3:25 am

I have also noticed that DR's payback and operation is sluggish and unusable if you do not have the Speed Editor connected via USB, but still have it recognised in the OS as a BT device (though BT not working after the update).

Charles Bennett

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 7:25 am

I can only relate my experience. 17.2.1Studio and the Speed Editor with it's update installed yesterday. No Bluetooth connectivity problems at all. No sluggish behaviour either. Opened Resolve this morning and the Speed Editor pairs straight away when I open Resolve and works properly.

If you pair another Bluetooth device like a phone does that connect ok? If your computer's Bluetooth receiver is external. try it in a different usb port.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 12:48 pm

As mentioned on another thread, we are looking into corner cases where some users are having BT connection difficulties. I expect and update soon.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Ronnke

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 1:01 pm

I'm not sure if this is coincidence, dumb luck or other, but resetting the Speed Editor to factory defaults via the DaVinci Control Panels Setup program...it seems to have resolved my problem.

vindibona1

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 2:11 pm

Ronnke wrote:I'm not sure if this is coincidence, dumb luck or other, but resetting the Speed Editor to factory defaults via the DaVinci Control Panels Setup program...it seems to have resolved my problem.

OK... So I tried that and now my GPU is crashing when I open a project. I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling Davinci Resolve. This is serious now.

vindibona1

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 5:10 pm

I seems to be a more complicated issue than just failure to connect, which is made worse by "resetting" control panel settings. I think I've solved the problem- at the moment but haven't tested it over time. Just a few times opening and closing Davinci.

* With the Speed Editor close to the computer and monitor, after resetting the control panels it crashed the CPU, making the screen go black.

*Before resetting the control panel it wouldn't crash, but was sluggish beyond belief though the PC saw the editor as "connected".

*All seemed to work relatively normally when the Speed Editor was connected via USB.

I was on the phone with Dell support to see if they had a solution and we tried everything including replacing graphics drivers. No joy...
...HOWEVER I DID SOMETHING THAT MAY HAVE RESOLVED THE ISSUE (at least for now).

*** 1) I moved the speed controller to the other end of the house, presumably out of bluetooth range. Then after rebooting the computer I restarted Davinci Resolve and my projects seems to function normally again.

* 2) I closed Davinci Resolve, brought the editor close in again and then reopened Davinci Resolve... the Speed Editor was once again recognized by the program and Davinci Resolve again began functioning normally.

The problem is obviously with bluetooth and whatever update BMD did to the controller!!!

Hopefully this issue will not reoccur, but I was not able to do any editing for at least 3 days!
BMD... Please fix this!!!

Charles Bennett

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 11:41 pm

Vincent, it sounds more like your computer's Bluetooth configuration or receiver that is causing the problem. As I said in my previous post, my Speed Editor connects every time when I open Resolve and everything works as it should.

"The problem is obviously with bluetooth and whatever update BMD did to the controller!!!"
Well, not here that's for sure.

vindibona1

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 11:56 am

Charles,

There is definitely an issue. I spent 3 hours on the phone with Dell premium support and they couldn't figure it out either. We tried everything including reinstalling/updating drivers, even trying restore points... I mean everything that a senior technician could think of. My Alienware computer seems to be functioning fine, bluetooth and all. As I stated I got everything to work yesterday. But after closing Davinci yesterday it is a new day today thinking that perhaps the issue was resolved I went to open Davinci... and the editor once again did not come on.

So I immediately closed Davinci, went to bluetooth settings and deleted the editor and added it back. I opened Davinci and now it's working again. So obviously with the last updated BMD broke the bluetooth auto-connect function that occurs upon Davinci startup.

All was working fine until this last update. Perhaps it is relevant, but before this all started Davinci was throwing pop-ups telling me to update the editor. All was fine until then. IT WOULD NOT UPDATE VIA BLUETOOTH, but it did update via USB... and then began this ongoing bluetooth issue.

BMD... Are you listening????

Charles Bennett

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 9:12 pm

You have to install updates to the Speed Editor with the usb cable not Bluetooth.
I'm running Resolve Studio 17.2.1 and the Speed Editor has had the firmware update, so BMD did not break it on my system. The Speed Editor connects as soon as I open a project in Resolve and disconnects when I exit.

One final point, is the battery charged in the SE?

Return to DaVinci Resolve