Davinci Resolve 17: Working with audio and multicam editing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

breadman6

Davinci Resolve 17: Working with audio and multicam editing

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 11:39 pm

Hi,
I'm new to this so please excuse any obvious mistakes. I can't hear any audio when editing multicam clip. I have 3 cameras, 2 audio sources. Workflow went like this. Synced up everything in timeline, then timeline > multicam. I then made a new timeline and put that compound clip in. When I change angles I don't hear any sound. I right clicked the multicam in media browser to open it in another timeline to troubleshoot it. I have attached a picture of this, as well as what my angle switching panel looks like.

-I think it has something to do with my audio files creating a complementary video channel.

What's the correct way of going about this?
Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 6.46.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 6.46.51 PM.png (65.88 KiB) Viewed 3956 times

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 6.36.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 6.36.44 PM.png (93.35 KiB) Viewed 3956 times

atmosfar

Re: Davinci Resolve 17: Working with audio and multicam edit

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 11:15 am

First thing you can do is hold down Alt and select all the audio clips you don't need, to delete them.

I think what is happening is that the multicam cut tool has "audio follows video" turned on (middle button), which means when you cut to Video 1 (V1), it switches to A1 for the audio, which is a track you have muted, or may not exist if the extra tracks have been deleted.

I'm not sure exactly what your setup is, but it looks like it could be an interview with a wide angle, two closeups, and mics on each participant.

For simplicity I would suggest mixing your audio into one track, which you can either do in something like Reaper, or you can combine the two audio tracks into one compound clip inside Resolve.

It doesn't look like you can do this inside an existing Multicam clip, so you will need to copy the synced contents back out to a new timeline, merge the audio into a single track/compound clip, then create a new Multicam clip from that. Looking inside the new Multicam clip you'll see that it has created two empty audio tracks for the two additional video tracks. So you need to set your multicam viewer/editor to "video only" cuts (the left of the three buttons in the image above).

That will leave you with only one audio source for your Multicam which would be easier to handle, rather than trying to juggle 2 audio sources between 3 video sources.

jhoepffner

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 1:34 pm

Hello,
I work often with multitrack sound with multicam, here is my technique:
- I record my sound on a multitrack recorder with 1 track for TC, 5 tracks for sound (HFs + ambiant) with
2 tracks more for premix (if more tracks, I use a computer with sound card)
- I made a multicam clip in DVR, syncrhronising all the cameras via TC or sound with the premix track.
- when all is synched, I delete all the camera soundtracks, I obtain X video tracks for cameras and X audio tracks for HF, ambiant etc. (with the premix on the first track)
- When I begin to edit, in the timeline I choose the camera 1 and track 1 for all the length, I use ALT to copy the first track to the second track (audio and video) and I change the sound multicam track to be the second and I repeat it for all the sound tracks.
- I unlinck video and audio and I delete all the video tracks except first
- I do my multicam edit only to video, muting all the tracks except the premix
- to do my audio mixing I mute the premix and I unmute all the other
- I can do very easily my audio edit and mix because i have one track for each sound track, synched
Hope that helps
W10 Ryzen7 3800X nVidia 3090 RAM 64 DVR-Fusion Studio 18.6.5 SSD 2To raid0 32To (HD) raid0 8To (SSD)
MSI G65 W10 / RAM 32 nVidia 1070 Intel Core i7-8750H DVR Studio 18.6.5
MBP 15" (2012) OS 10.14.6 RAM 16 nVidia 650M Intell i7 DVR Studio 17.4

Jim Simon

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 1:43 pm

breadman6 wrote:What's the correct way of going about this?
I won't say this is the 'correct' way, but I do find it a better way.

1. Create the Multicam from the bin using only camera media.
2. Add that new Multicam clip to your main timeline.
3. Add all of the audio sources you want to hear in the final program, including the audio from cameras if desired. Sync them up to the Multicam.
4. Disable the audio from the Multicam clip.

This method keeps all usable audio out of the Multicam, which makes mixing in Fairlight down the road much easier.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

gramsay

PostFri Dec 24, 2021 2:01 pm

Jim Simon wrote:1. Create the Multicam from the bin using only camera media.

i love this idea but how would you do that? When Im in the media pool im selecting clips, right clicking and choosing "Create New Muticam clip using selected Clips"

If there is a way to create a multcam clip without using camera audio thatd be great

gunvlog

PostFri Dec 24, 2021 4:26 pm

What I did today was Sync the externally recorded Audio with the Main camera file. Then I created the multicam file.

Only issue I ran into, when Recording in 4K the Camera Markes a New file every 2GB. In my Case I had two main video files. When creating the multicam track, the second main Video file had no sound at all.

So I then first rendered the two mains to one Single file and then used that to cremte the multicam.

I donˋt think that is the correct was, But it wirken for my First multicam test.
System:
HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF | 16GB RAM | Intel Core i-7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz | 3408 MHz | 4 Core´s | 8 logical processors | Intel HD Graphics 530 | HDD1: Samsung MZ7LN128HAHQ | HDD2: Samsung MZ7LN128HAHQ | Windows 10 Professional

Return to DaVinci Resolve