Weird Fairlight fader behavior

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Robert Arnold

Weird Fairlight fader behavior

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 10:43 pm

I'm not sure if I have steps to reproduce this, but it happens regularly and I'm curious if anyone else has seen it. Sometime I go to the Fairlight page to find that one or more of my faders is down at zero when I haven't ever changed it. When I then go to bring the level up, the fader does this crazy flickering up and down thing:

Once I've adjusted one back up, the others seem to behave normally. It's been doing this since the first 17 betas through 17.2.1, if not also in version 16. I can't remember exactly.

I'm a colorist, not a sound guy, so would be happy to hear if there's something I'm misunderstanding about how Fairlight works that makes this make sense.....

Thanks.

Charles Bennett

Re: Weird Fairlight fader behavior

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 8:43 am

This is not normal and I have never experienced it. As you say this has been happening through various versions, your computer, or a program on it, would appear to be interfering with Resolve.
If you are on Windows, do you do a clean install of Resolve having uninstalled the previous version first? Is your GPU driver up to date?
Post details of your system including OS, Resolve Free or Studio, GPU and it's driver version, amount of RAM, connected peripherals, etc, so we can have a look.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Robert Arnold

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 5:41 pm

Just in case anyone else has run into this: I think I found the root of the problem.

Some time ago I was trying out a control surface that used midi, and I enabled "Use MIDI audio console" in Preferences > Control Panels > Audio Console. Since I have turned that option back off, all of my mysterious Fairlight behavior has ceased. Fingers crossed that that was it!

tlegvold

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 1:13 am

Robert, could it also possibly be that at some point (maybe when using the controller you mentioned) you inadvertently added fader automation to the track in question?

Either way, glad you seem to have solved the issue!

Cheers,
Thor
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

Return to DaVinci Resolve