Again: Media Offline bur not for Player

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

schlichi

Again: Media Offline bur not for Player

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 10:50 am

Sorry, just for the peace of mind. Filmed 6kPro on 2.8 17:9 BRAW Q0. CFAST got full, switched to SD. Everything on CFAST works good in preview, the player (Win and MAC) and Resolve. Everything on SD works perfect on cameras preview and the player but unfortunately not in Resolve as it flickeres "Media Offline" after a short while. Now, you could say, don't use a SD anyway, but I am not understanding why cameras preview and the Raw-Player run it smoothly and Resolve not. Anyone any idea? Thanks a lot.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Again: Media Offline bur not for Player

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 2:05 am

Use the Resolve Clone tool to copy the clips to a permanently attached spinning disk or SSD.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

schlichi

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 5:09 am

Thanks, Peter,
actually I copied the files to an SSD, prior to load them into Resolve. But I followed your advice anyway, wondering what the clone tool can do differently than the OS can do. But still: after a few seconds I am getting a staccato of media offline frames. The raw player however runs them smoothly. Why does Resolve machine-gun me with that message but the rae player doesn't? Thanks for patience...

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 7:44 am

Can u provide full system details.
is the timeline frame rate the same as the clip rate?
what is the timeline res?
and when playing back on color page, what is the playback rate?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

schlichi

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 6:13 pm

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply.
Yes, I filmed at 50fps and I set the system to 50. And it works fine with files of the same session which happen to land in the CFAST but not those on the SD.
Actually, I do not even have to use the timeline, in the Master-view of Media it shows the same effect.

this is a little clip I took. Note that the first file is from the SD-card. The second is the first part of a file which was split into two due to a full Cfast. So the first part (Cfast) runs well but the second part (SD) of the same shot not. But all are being played well by the Raw-player.
All the little takes in the cfast run well in Resolve but the ones from the sd not. But they do in the rawplayer.
I tried different resolutions of the timeline with no success. It happens before the file hits the timeline.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 11:45 pm

schlichi wrote:Why does Resolve machine-gun me with that message but the rae player doesn't?

If the Blackmagic RAW Player comes across a dropped frame (or a frame it otherwise can't decode) it will just show the previously decoded frame, where Resolve correctly identifies it as an issue for you. If this is happening often you will likely notice some stuttering in the playback if you pay close attention, or move frame by frame in the player you will notice the frames that show as offline in Resolve are actually the same frame on screen as the previous one.

Pay attention on the camera to the record icon and it will start to flash an exclamation mark when you are dropping frames, or even better set the camera to stop recording on dropped frames.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

schlichi

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 7:26 am

Captain oh Captain, thanks a ton.
That explained the habit of rawplayer vs resolve.
And tells me that cfast is a must most obviously. At least, when I plan to use BRAW 6k.
Thanks again, stay save, Martin

Uli Plank

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 9:05 am

Yes, up from a certain resolution and compression ratio, SD is useless.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Jim Simon

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 4:35 pm

CaptainHook wrote:set the camera to stop recording on dropped frames.
This is good advice, along with testing your media at and even above the record settings you'll be using for the shoot.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

schlichi

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 9:35 am

I will set it to stop at dropped frames, thanks. In general, I learned, that the 6K-Pro is of course at a very attractive pricepoint, but the beast is very thursty for energy and hungry for expensive storage. But in turn, that forces to accurate planning. My C100 is just a lamb. Thanks all for helping.

Uli Plank

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 11:24 am

Please also test different compression ratios.
BRAW is pretty good even with more compression than you may consider.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

schlichi

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 12:28 pm

Thanks Uli, I will. I started with something somewhat jn the middle, but I understand, that I have to invest more research on what is sufficient for me. Thanks again.

Return to DaVinci Resolve