Davinci Resolve Studio is suddenly super laggy

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

molenmer

Davinci Resolve Studio is suddenly super laggy

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 11:00 am

Hello,
Two days ago I was putting together a project (wedding film) within Davinci Resolve Studio 17 (latest update installed).
Everything worked fine.
Then yesterday I wanted to continue the project but the entire program is suddenly super slow. There is almost a constant delay between me clicking on things in the program and the program reacting like 5-10 seconds later.
I have scoured the web looking for answers but couldn't find anything that could solve my problem.
I updated to my latest nvidia driver (studio 462), I even downgraded as far as 430 but they both don't seem to work.
I also tried updating my normal windows updates. Nothing seems to work and it's driving me insane!
I have a deadline for this wedding which I intend to keep!

I also already sent an email to Blackmagic support to see if they know anything.

Anyone else facing this issue or having any idea on how to solve it?
DR Studio 18.6.6 Build 7 macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
Apple M1 Pro 16" (2021) 16GB RAM

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Davinci Resolve Studio is suddenly super laggy

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 9:44 am

Try, un install the GPU driver
Do a complete new install, not update, of the current GPU driver for ur GPU.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

molenmer

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 12:29 pm

Hi Peter,
I tried that as well but to no avail. I used the recommended DDU uninstaller method. So first uninstall all nvidia drivers and then cleanly install the current ip-to-date driver within safe mode... :(

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 1:33 am

Time to generate and post logs as per the fAQs

dubbs44

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 3:28 am

I have the same problem. Mine started yesterday out of the blue, while I was working on a project. It just started happening for seemingly no reason.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 7:46 am

dubbs44 wrote:I have the same problem. Mine started yesterday out of the blue, while I was working on a project. It just started happening for seemingly no reason.

You didn't provide your system details, as per FAQ recommendations, so im guessing you are on Windows and it did an update that messed up your GPU driver.
so,
Try, un install the GPU driver
Do a complete new install, not update, of the current GPU driver for ur GPU.

molenmer

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 9:29 am

Hi Peter,
Excuse me for not properly following etiquette. Here is the information that I've not yet provided:

Link to log files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NmOHAK ... sp=sharing

System specs:
Dell XPS 15 9560
i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1050

Windows 10 64 bit Home
Version 21H1

Davinci Resolve Studio 17.2.1 Build 12

PS: As I post this, Davinci Resolve seems to work fine again... I'll keep an eye on this forum and report back if the problem comes back or stays away. I'm curious if there is anything you can find in the logs.

Thanks for the help!

molenmer

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 1:08 pm

Update: Just now it was experiencing the same problem again. I noticed that my speed editor was not connected as the lights were not on. I exited the program and reconnected the speed editor and restarted Davinci, simultaneously pressing buttons to make sure the red lights on the keyboard were on. Now it seems Davinci Resolve is working smoothly again.

Could it be that the failure to connect to the speed editor might be slowing the program down?

Daz Wood

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 1:25 pm

molenmer wrote:Update: Just now it was experiencing the same problem again. I noticed that my speed editor was not connected as the lights were not on. I exited the program and reconnected the speed editor and restarted Davinci, simultaneously pressing buttons to make sure the red lights on the keyboard were on. Now it seems Davinci Resolve is working smoothly again.

Could it be that the failure to connect to the speed editor might be slowing the program down?

Yes it is the speed editor that is causing this problem. I have the same problem too.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

csibiur

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 3:14 pm

Is there a way to properly "Do a complete new install, not update, of the current GPU driver for ur GPU."?

When you install the NVIDIA VGA Studio Driver, there is a checkbox in the installer to do a "clean install". Is that what you mean Peter?

molenmer

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 8:45 am

Hi Csaba,

Refer to this link for a clear explanation: https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/02/clean ... r-ddu.html

The only thing you need to do differently is download the latest driver first and install that in Safe Mode after you did the uninstall. Only connect to the internet after you installed it or disable automatic Windows driver updates.

If Google search "Clean GPU driver install DDU Windows 10" you'll find plenty of articles!

Return to DaVinci Resolve