"Media Offline" in some frames in a clip - Resolve 17.2

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Densetsu

"Media Offline" in some frames in a clip - Resolve 17.2

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 5:52 pm

I made a new project with a new timeline, imported my video clip into the timeline, "media offline" shows up in some frames. My recorded video plays perfectly on VLC and I imported the same video to Premiere Pro with no issues.

I deleted the render cache, turned fusion memory cache off, and created another disk database on another hdd with the same result.

Windows 10 x64

Intel i5-4690K

Nvidia GTX 750

32GB RAM

I appreciate any help.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: "Media Offline" in some frames in a clip - Resolve 17.2

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 9:39 am

I don’t think that GPU is supposed to work. Did it on 16.2?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jim Simon

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 1:18 pm

I struggle using a GTX 960.

I think we both need new GPUs, Wally. (Once they become available again. :cry: )
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Hendrik Proosa

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 1:37 pm

Imho media offline state should be separated from gpu processing error states, it makes little sense to user to tell media is offline when it is perfectly available.
I do stuff.

bclontz

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 8:49 pm

I am having the same problem. My GPU is a Nvidia GTX 750 TI.
I never ran into this issue in previous versions of resolve. This is just regular playback without any effects, and its standard definition H.264 footage, so its not like its really pushing my system.

Densetsu

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 10:41 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:I don’t think that GPU is supposed to work. Did it on 16.2?

I don't know. I stopped using Resolve when I found out it had no mkv support back on 15.

I did notice that my gpu seems to be working (editiing and rendering) in this version.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 1:19 am

No im on my iMac in can se there is a newer model of the 750 that is low power but does support CUDA 3.5 framework.

Media offline usually means the clips cant be found, drive off-line, or they cant be decoded, a codec thats not supported on free, or they cant be found or decoded correctly, often because the CPU is overloaded or if using the Studio version the clips cant be decoded in the GPU.

make sure your your CPU is not overclocked and the drive with the clips is on a good connection.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Uli Plank

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 1:25 am

But some of that list of possible explanations should apply to the whole clip, shouldn't they, Peter?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Densetsu

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 5:17 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:No im on my iMac in can se there is a newer model of the 750 that is low power but does support CUDA 3.5 framework.

Media offline usually means the clips cant be found, drive off-line, or they cant be decoded, a codec thats not supported on free, or they cant be found or decoded correctly, often because the CPU is overloaded or if using the Studio version the clips cant be decoded in the GPU.

make sure your your CPU is not overclocked and the drive with the clips is on a good connection.

CPU is not overclocked and my hdd is connected properly. Clips play well on VLC and no problems in Premiere Pro.

bclontz

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 3:55 pm

Densetsu wrote:CPU is not overclocked and my hdd is connected properly. Clips play well on VLC and no problems in Premiere Pro.

Hey, are you getting this issue while using MKV footage?
I am seeing the same problem, and I realized that I am using MKV for the first time, so I don't know if it could be related. I will try changing the container to MP4 and see if the problem persists for me.

Densetsu

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 6:16 pm

bclontz wrote:
Densetsu wrote:CPU is not overclocked and my hdd is connected properly. Clips play well on VLC and no problems in Premiere Pro.

Hey, are you getting this issue while using MKV footage?
I am seeing the same problem, and I realized that I am using MKV for the first time, so I don't know if it could be related. I will try changing the container to MP4 and see if the problem persists for me.

I mainly use mkv as it works best for me for recording on OBS. I'm not sure if the format has anything to do with this issue.

bclontz

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 11:28 pm

I can confirm that the issue is ONLY happening for me with MKV files. I changed the container to MP4 and the issue went away completely for those files. So it seems that resolve has a bug with its MKV handling.

Uli Plank

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 12:30 am

Well, it's pretty recent that it handles MKV at all. So, there might be bugs left.
From over 40 years of experience with computers, I deeply distrust recent features, a new OS or the newest hyped software in general.

Patience, it'll mature.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 12:48 am

Densetsu wrote:I don't know. I stopped using Resolve when I found out it had no mkv support back on 15.

MKV is a weird open-source Russian container format, more intended for delivery than anything else. My opinion is that it's a bad format for post (for a lot of reasons). I have the same problem with M2TS files -- it's something you have to convert before using in Baselight, Resolve, Avid, Premiere, FCPX, or just about any post-production software.

To me, transcoding is an accepted part of workflow, and it's necessary when you get highly-compressed formats like this. It's one of many reasons to use higher-res cameras that shoot on better (preferably Raw) formats.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 1:13 am

In many cases, you may get along with re-wrapping only, which is fast with the right storage devices.

Densetsu

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 2:56 pm

bclontz wrote:I can confirm that the issue is ONLY happening for me with MKV files. I changed the container to MP4 and the issue went away completely for those files. So it seems that resolve has a bug with its MKV handling.

I suspected that this may be a problem from Resolve. Thanks for letting me and others who may have this problem know.

remainz

PostTue May 10, 2022 9:28 am

I am having this problem with Davinci 18 and mp4 files.
It is showing media offline in a few frames in my final exports!!!

There is nothing I have found to completely fix this.

Uli Plank

PostTue May 10, 2022 11:36 pm

Without details about your system nobody can help you, Moe.

Jim Simon

PostWed May 11, 2022 1:32 pm

The 18 beta has a separate forum section, Moe. Start a new thread there.

viewforum.php?f=36
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

marioaguas

PostWed May 11, 2022 4:40 pm

Hi, I'm having this problems with 6k BMPCC BRAW files.
It run normally in PREMIERE, but not in davinci.
Tryed every thing in the web and dosen't work

Macbook Pro 2021
8GPU 16 Ram
Tks

MichaelBK

PostWed Jun 08, 2022 9:09 am

Same with a braw files from BM Studio Camera 4k Pro, some frames red and as result unable to render entire project. My PC - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT with 128 GB RAM so I think it's not becouse of my hardware. Maybe SSD drive recording problem... If somebody have a solution, please let me know. For now, just trying to convert file in Premier to mp4

thill1760

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 2:59 am

I am suddenly (and frustratingly) having this problem with Davinci 17.4.4 and .mov files Davinci Resolve is showing the message "Media Offline" in a only few frames. Nothing happens and the footage is NOT unlinked. It is and was in the correct folder on the hard drive

iMac iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020). Processor 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics, AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB

Uli Plank

PostFri Jul 08, 2022 2:29 pm

@Mykhaylo
Maybe your camera was dropping frames. You should check by single frame stepping if it's always the same position showing as offline. If so, that is the reason.

@Tatyana
Which codec? And why don't you use 17.4.6?

Blake76

PostWed Jul 27, 2022 11:24 pm

I'm having the same problem but my media is .DPX, uncompressed TIFF sequence. I need to output the show for festival entry within a week.

Is there a standard trouble tree for figuring out what's causing the problem?

System specs below.
IMAC 3.2Quad i7 / OS 10.15.7 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX680MX 2GB VRAM / Resolve 17.4.6 / Decklink 4k / Monitor: FSI DM170

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Jul 28, 2022 12:24 am

Should be able to look at the footage outside of Resolve and see if it plays fine there. See if there are any missing frames. On macOS Quicktime should do the trick.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 28, 2022 1:09 am

In the Playback menu, set Render Cache to None, to verify it's not a cache issue. If setting that to None makes the issue go away, then it's a cache issue. If you need the cache, make a change to the grade, so that it re-caches and see if that fixes it.

If setting Render Cache to None does not fix the issue, then perhaps you really have some missing source frames.

You said your media is .DPX, uncompressed TIFF sequence. Those are separate file formats. Did you mean you have both DPX and TIFF source clips?

QuickTime Player can't play DPX sequences. It may be able to play TIFF sequences.

If you have a BMD I/O device for your system, you'll have the BMD Media Express app installed, and that can play DPX sequences. You could use that to see if there are missing frames.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

erichmorey

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 7:10 pm

I am unable to resolve this issue with some frames missing and a "media offline" in their place. It prevents me from rendering the video unless I go to Preferences, User, UI Settings, and uncheck "Stop renders when a frame or clip cannot be processed". The video will then render but is choppy in the "media offline" spots. The video I'm editing is a board of supervisors meeting from Granicus and it plays okay on VLC media player from the MP4 file, H264 codec, that I downloaded. I'm using Windows 11, a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card and Davinci 18. Same problem when I was using Davinci 17. How do I get the video into the timeline and avoid the "media offline" dropped frames? Your response in layman's terms would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there is any other information I can supply.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 4:24 pm

Are you using the free or the Studio version of Resolve? Are you using version 18.0.1?

Select the Media page. If you select the clip in the Media Storage area, and play it in the Media page Viewer, does it show offline frames there?

If so, can you provide a link to the clip so we can take a look at it?
Dwaine Maggart

jonasbjerg

PostSat Aug 20, 2022 8:59 pm

I have the exact same issue on BRAW files.

They are shot on a black magic pocket cinema camera 6K. and Im trying to open them in Davinci Resolve Studio 18 on a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

I get random frames with "Media Offline" spread throughout the clip. When i open it in the media tab and play it directly there, it also has them.

Everything is linked properly.. and the files play normally outside of davinci..

Please help.. if i cant open BRAW in Davinci, then I cant open it anywhere

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 9:16 pm

Sorry, moderated posts that get approved after you post them sometimes show up on old threads like this that are on pages that go unseen.

This issue is almost certainly dropped frames during recording. And in that case, Resolve will show the dropped frames as offline.

When you say they play normally outside of Resolve, what does that mean? With the BRAW Player app? If so, when it encounters dropped frames, it will freeze on the last good frame, and unfreeze on the next good frame, masking the dropped frames. You can verify this by finding an offline frame in Resolve, and then single frame stepping through that same area in the BRAW Player app. You'll see that it's freezing around the missing frame.

In Resolve, you can try using the Resolve FX Revival Frame Replacer FX Effect to replace the missing frames. It can do a pretty good job, depending on the source material and how bad the missing frames issue is.
Dwaine Maggart

Joe Shapiro

PostWed Aug 31, 2022 4:33 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Imho media offline state should be separated from gpu processing error states, it makes little sense to user to tell media is offline when it is perfectly available.

I very much concur. In general people would be a lot less confused - and the forum less cluttered - if Resolve were better at delivering cogent messages explaining what's really gone wrong.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3

pappyjay

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 11:20 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Sorry, moderated posts that get approved after you post them sometimes show up on old threads like this that are on pages that go unseen.

This issue is almost certainly dropped frames during recording. And in that case, Resolve will show the dropped frames as offline.

When you say they play normally outside of Resolve, what does that mean? With the BRAW Player app? If so, when it encounters dropped frames, it will freeze on the last good frame, and unfreeze on the next good frame, masking the dropped frames. You can verify this by finding an offline frame in Resolve, and then single frame stepping through that same area in the BRAW Player app. You'll see that it's freezing around the missing frame.

In Resolve, you can try using the Resolve FX Revival Frame Replacer FX Effect to replace the missing frames. It can do a pretty good job, depending on the source material and how bad the missing frames issue is.

I have exactly the same issue as the original poster and I've never seen anything frustrate me more than this when it comes to editing. The clip plays fine on BRAW player, but as soon as I move it to a timeline on Davinci (Studio) it shows media offline. Now, this is only on random parts of random clips within a group of footages which is what confuses me. clip C001 may play just fine but C002 would play the first 4 seconds with no issues and then the annoying RED media offline intermittently flashes for the remainder of the clip.

I even converted it to a ProRes and Mov file to use in FcPx and still the same red thing occurs. I have tried relinking, unlinking, changing source folder, etc etc yet the problem is not going away!

Terribly concerned!!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 26, 2022 2:34 pm

I would note again, that it doesn't play "fine" in BRAW Player. BRAW player is just masking the dropped frames by freezing on the last good frame. And while that's pretty unobtrusive for a single dropped frame, it can be pretty obvious is there are several dropped frames in a row.
Dwaine Maggart

Uli Plank

PostMon Sep 26, 2022 3:56 pm

And the proof would be if you single-step in DR and the issue is showing at the same position repeatably.

pappyjay

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 10:52 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I would note again, that it doesn't play "fine" in BRAW Player. BRAW player is just masking the dropped frames by freezing on the last good frame.

Interesting! And this is unresolvable and unrepairable, might I ask?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 11:04 pm

If the frame is missing, its missing.

As noted above, in Resolve, you can try using the Resolve FX Revival Frame Replacer FX Effect to replace the missing frames. It can do a pretty good job, depending on the source material and how bad the missing frames issue is.
Dwaine Maggart

pappyjay

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 7:46 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:If the frame is missing, its missing.

As noted above, in Resolve, you can try using the Resolve FX Revival Frame Replacer FX Effect to replace the missing frames. It can do a pretty good job, depending on the source material and how bad the missing frames issue is.

Thanks. I tried that, and unless I am applying it improperly it didn't do anything to the timeline clip. What I have resorted to now, albeit an excruciating task, is to track the missing files frame by frame, cut them out and realign the other clips. I've salvaged one scene this way.

My homework now is to go away and research more about why dropped frames exists so sporadically while filming to avoid future heartache like this. Some frames don't drop at all, and the few others which do under the same conditions as tho ones which don't is what I need to understand

Andy Mees

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 12:08 pm

pappyjay wrote:unless I am applying it improperly...
That might be the problem... just dropping Frame Replacer on a clip isn't quite enough. You have to manually tell it (keyframe) which frame(s) you want to replace and how you want the frame(s) replaced eg Blend, Optical Flow etc. Similarly for the (Fusion Page) Tween tool, to reconstruct sequential frames, it requires explicit setup for each instance.

pappyjay wrote:an excruciating task, is to track the missing files frame by frame, cut them out and realign the other clips. I've salvaged one scene this way.
Well, that's good news. Bravo. :)

Jim Simon

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 12:22 pm

pappyjay wrote:My homework now is to go away and research more about why dropped frames exists
Usually it's because your chosen media can't keep up.

There is an option in the camera menu to stop recording when frames are dropped. Turn that on...and then test your media at the needed resolutions/frame rates and desired 'quality' settings.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Uli Plank

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 12:28 pm

Usually it's the media, but sometimes it can be the cable.

Jim Simon

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 12:29 pm

That's why internal is better. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

pappyjay

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 1:48 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
pappyjay wrote:unless I am applying it improperly...
That might be the problem... just dropping Frame Replacer on a clip isn't quite enough. You have to manually tell it (keyframe) which frame(s) you want to replace and how you want the frame(s) replaced eg Blend, Optical Flow etc. Similarly for the (Fusion Page) Tween tool, to reconstruct sequential frames, it requires explicit setup for each instance

Ah, got ya, I will try that for sure. Cheers!

pappyjay

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 1:49 pm

Well, that's good news. Bravo. :)

Thanks Andy!

pappyjay

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 1:51 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
pappyjay wrote:My homework now is to go away and research more about why dropped frames exists
Usually it's because your chosen media can't keep up.

There is an option in the camera menu to stop recording when frames are dropped. Turn that on...and then test your media at the needed resolutions/frame rates and desired 'quality' settings.

Makes sense! I admit that I mixed fast ones with some slow v30s which thinking back now is just plain silly for the kind of shots and resolutions I was taking. Well, life is a school - we learn every day!

pappyjay

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 1:53 pm

Thanks to you all my fellow Creatives! I have learnt my lesson the hard way, will try to be more careful next time at point of shoot. Cheers

Jim Simon

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 10:57 pm

pappyjay wrote:I have learnt my lesson the hard way
We all have, one lesson or another.

Welcome to the club. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

JaredIsham

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 3:29 pm

I didn't read through all the responses but I had the same issue with .braw files.

I just got it fixed by turning off optimized media
Playback>Use Optimized Media If Available

I think my issue was that I canceled mid-way or was doing system optimization and it was referencing an optimized clip with the optimized media that had been deleted.

I had the render cache and proxies turned off, but this is what fixed my issue.
Filmmaker/Director/Editor
www.jaredisham.com

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 6:21 pm

This is a long-standing bug where partially-written files are not cleaned up.
It's still present in 18.5B build 16.

Here's a link to a previous report on it: The Proxy feature could use some additional baking.
Resolve 18.6.3

Return to DaVinci Resolve