Blade tool not working right

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Genoes

Blade tool not working right

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 2:03 am

Hello,

I'm quite new to DR so I hope I'm not making a stupid mistake. I'm on the Edit page using the Blade tool to cut the end of a clip then I switch to the Selection tool to select the end of the clip then delete it.

Only problem is after I delete it, it's not really deleted. When I click on the clipped end of the video it turns green indicating there are hidden frames there. When I click and drag on the end of the video lo and behold, the supposedly deleted frames begin to reappear.

I've just got one clip on my time frame. I've performed this function before and it did actually delete the frames. Maybe I'm doing something different?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Blade tool not working right

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 9:28 am

The action u describe is normal, as a non destructive editor u have just removed the end from the timeline but the source is in changed so can be further edited.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jim Simon

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 1:32 pm

Have a go at the Beginner's Guide, Gene. It's a great resource for Resolve newcomers.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Charles Bennett

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 2:51 pm

All NLEs be they for video or audio just reference the original files they never actually alter them in any way. All you are doing when editing in a timeline is telling the software to play clip X from this point to this point and so on. That information is added to an event list. When you trim or delete a clip or clips you are merely changing the playback start and end points and the list gets updated. The same thing happens when you color grade or add effects. When you play the timeline the list is being used to play the selected parts of the clips.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Genoes

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 6:10 pm

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to check out the Beginner's Guide, didn't know that existed, great resource!

Return to DaVinci Resolve