set primaries for full timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SebastianC

set primaries for full timeline

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 4:37 pm

Hello,

on "color-tab" I tried to set primaries for all clips, without selecting each clip and do all settings again and again, when I need to have same primary settings on all clips. How can I do it in one step?

Multi-select in "clip mode" and set primaries for all clips is not possible.
I tried to solve this with nodes in "timeline-mode", but there is no "primary"-node (same node as on each clip). I also searched open FX library, but there is not "primary" node.

What is the solution to change primary settings for all clips in one step (with same settings of course)?

Thanks a lot!

Dermot Shane

Re: set primaries for full timeline

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 4:46 pm

several choices, some are:
- groups
- timeline node
- shared grades
- fixed node structure + ripple

i tend to use the last one....

SebastianC

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 5:21 pm

thanks!

timeline node

How to change primaries in timeline per timeline node?

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 1:11 am

SebastianC wrote:Hello, on "color-tab" I tried to set primaries for all clips, without selecting each clip and do all settings again and again, when I need to have same primary settings on all clips. How can I do it in one step?

Chapter 139 "Grade Management," starting on p. 2764 in the Resolve 17 manual, goes into this in detail. If it were me, I'd create the grade you want for the whole project in the first shot. Make it look reasonable, add however many nodes you need. Then once it's correct, highlight all the shots in the timeline and then center-mouse click the first shot you corrected.

Be warned this is a destructive operation and is extremely difficult to undo!

Another way to go is to save a still from that first shot, then apply the correction from that shot to the rest of the timeline. I usually tend to do that, simply because I'm concerned I'll slip and accidentally change the first shot. This is a technique I frequently use as a way to get all the clips in a single scene -- say, every shot inside a kitchen -- to have the exact same starting point. Once that's done, then I trim each shot and give it more of a look and match whatever lighting issues they had on set.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

SebastianC

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 8:44 am

Thanks a lot @Marc.
I also played yesterday with grouping. This is also a cool solution. But your solution is also good.

At the end I also found the solution for my inital question, "how to change primaries per node on timeline level". My problem was, that timeline by default has no "primaries correction" node and I did not get it done to create the node, even after searching everything (fx lib nodes, etc). But is very easy, just use right mouse button in the time-line-graph, -> "add node" -> "correction". And then plug it in and you can change primaries on full timeline.

Thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve