Audio on remote use of DaVinci Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SebastianC

Audio on remote use of DaVinci Resolve

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 8:54 am

Hello,

I tried yesterday to run DaVinci Resolve on a Windows 10 Remote desktop. Normally, I do not have a problem running Apps on a remote machine. But in DaVinci Resolve, I did not get the sound from remote to my local machine.

I tried with other remote Apps, started a game on remote PC, watched youtube video remote, and all remote audio is transfered to my local machine fine.

I already checked DaVinci Resolve Preferences where you can change audio output. But it automatically detects the correct sound device "remote audio" fine. Even when I change it to "manually" and set it on "remote audio". I do not get any remote sound on my local machine.

Because remote sound from YT (browser), MP3 (win 10 media player), etc. is transferred fine, I want to ask you if there are any known compatibility issues with audio when using DaVinci Resolve on a remote machine?
Or if anyone here can tell me if he is using DaVinci Resolve per Windows RDP and his sound is transferred fine to local machine.

Thanks a lot!

SebastianC

Re: Audio on remote use of DaVinci Resolve

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 9:12 am

Sorry for pushing after some days. But would be really interesting if someone knows anything about using Davinci remotely. As I said, rest of the remote started apps transfer audio fine.
And there's no official way to make bug reports to blackmagicdesign right?

Jim Simon

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 6:43 pm

SebastianC wrote:someone knows anything about using Davinci remotely.
The only idea I have is, don't.

Sit in front of the machine you use for editing.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

SebastianC

PostMon Jun 28, 2021 6:48 pm

Jim Simon wrote:The only idea I have is, don't.

Thanks. :-) But I don't want to talk about mine or other people workflow. Working on a machine remotely is nothing special. Especially since the pandemic. I work for several client companies and most of the time on remote machines.

So, back to topic.
Is there any known issue with Davinci working remote about remote sound? Or is there any way of doing a real "bug report" blackmagicdesign, where you can expect an official answer?

dbarter

PostWed Jun 30, 2021 9:51 pm

Have you made any progress in resolving your problem, we've got the exact same issue.

Gary Hango

PostWed Jun 30, 2021 11:20 pm

Until this gets sorted out by BMD, you might want to try VB-Audio Virtual Cable. Route Resolve audio through the virtual cable to the remote audio device.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

samuelkwest

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 12:57 am

Gary Hango wrote:Until this gets sorted out by BMD, you might want to try VB-Audio Virtual Cable. Route Resolve audio through the virtual cable to the remote audio device.

Are you saying that you know this works? Or is this just a suggestion to give it a try?

- s.west

Gary Hango

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 6:44 pm

samuelkwest wrote:
Gary Hango wrote:Until this gets sorted out by BMD, you might want to try VB-Audio Virtual Cable. Route Resolve audio through the virtual cable to the remote audio device.

Are you saying that you know this works? Or is this just a suggestion to give it a try?

- s.west

I don't know for sure, just a suggestion to try.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

Jay Bills

PostSat Aug 07, 2021 8:40 am

You can try rolling back to 17.1.1
there are some other posts about Remote Audio not working in 17.2

Joe Bell

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 4:36 pm

I'm teaching DaVinci Resolve to university students at an institution that has no Media / Video courses or programs, most don't have good enough machines so I enable access via Azure - loosing the remote audio is obviously an issue. Hopefully this would be a use case that is positive for Blackmagic, lots of young folks getting introduced to video editing with Resolve, and going off into myriad industries like science, medicine, engineering, and law.

Hope this gets fixed.

atmosfar

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 3:02 pm

I'm running into this issue as well. No audio output over RDP from DR.

I would like to try Gary's suggestion but it looks like all other audio devices are hidden/disabled when you use RDP, because none of my usual options (including virtual audio cable) are available. Both DR's settings and indeed Windows control panel only show a single Remote Audio device option and none of my usual hardware.

Gary Hango wrote:
samuelkwest wrote:

- s.west

I don't know for sure, just a suggestion to try.

TCP786

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 3:19 pm

I have no experience running Resolve remotely, but I would imagine it's a similar problem to capturing audio during a screen recording in a DAW. I don't completely know how it works under the hood, but the concept is this: most programs output audio via the operating system, which then goes to the sound card. A DAW, on the other hand (Reaper, Ableton, Logic, etc), outputs audio directly to the sound card/audio interface without going through the OS. This is why it requires a work around to do a video capture in a DAW with sound - OBS (or whatever) gets the sound for its recording from the operating system, which the DAW isn't sending any audio to.

As for your situation, my guess is that Fairlight is programmed in a similar manner, and as such it would likely be the only program that doesn't output sound to the remote desktop software.

Also, this is entirely a guess. I have never really done anything at all with Fairlight, but what you're describing sounds exactly like how a DAW would behave in this circumstance.

And sorry for not being more helpful, since I don't actually know what any of those work-arounds are. The VB-Audio Virtual Cable thing sounds like a good starting point though.
Last edited by TCP786 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TCP786

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 3:20 pm

dbarter wrote:Have you made any progress in resolving your problem, we've got the exact same issue.

I see what you did there.

atmosfar

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 8:31 pm

TCP786 wrote:I have no experience running Resolve remotely, but I would imagine it's a similar problem to capturing audio during a screen recording in a DAW. I don't completely know how it works under the hood, but the concept is this: most programs output audio via the operating system, which then goes to the sound card. A DAW, on the other hand (Reaper, Ableton, Logic, etc), outputs audio directly to the sound card/audio interface without going through the OS. This is why it requires a work around to do a video capture in a DAW with sound - OBS (or whatever) gets the sound for its recording from the operating system, which the DAW isn't sending any audio to.

This depends on the audio driver layer you are using. If you're using WASAPI/WaveOut/WDM then it is going through the OS, and that's usually completely fine for editing. It's realtime situations where you need very low latency playback that leads towards use of ASIO drivers with exclusive access to the hardware and gets tricky.

And sorry for not being more helpful, since I don't actually know what any of those work-arounds are. The VB-Audio Virtual Cable thing sounds like a good starting point though.

Already tried this and it didn't seem to be workable - see the post above yours.

atmosfar

PostThu Oct 07, 2021 12:09 pm

OK, it is possible, sort of.

1. configure your RDP to playback audio using the remote system's audio
Open RDP > Options > Local Resources > Remote Audio > Play on remote computer

2. after install VB Audio Cable, set your remote computer's audio output device to Audio Cable Input and input device to Audio Cable Output

3. join a webRTC call using jitsi meet, to pass the audio between the remote PC running DR and your terminal. The remote PC should join using these URL parameters for the best sound quality -
Code: Select all
#config.p2p.enabled=false&config.disableAP=true&config.disableAEC=true&config.disableNS=true&config.disableAGC=true&config.disableHPF=true&config.stereo=true

Where the url params go after the meeting name, eg :

Code: Select all
https://meet.jit.si/RemoteDavinciResolveAudio#config.p2p.enabled=false&config.disableAP=true&config.disableAEC=true&config.disableNS=true&config.disableAGC=true&config.disableHPF=true&config.stereo=true

atmosfar

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 5:26 pm

Bump, this functionality is still not working.

To repro:

Connect to your remote computer through RDP.
Open youtube in the browser - sound is audible.
Open DR, play some media - no sound.

atmosfar

PostWed Aug 03, 2022 1:44 pm

Does anyone know if this has been fixed?

Will need this function in the future but haven't got a test setup at the moment.

Joe Shapiro

PostWed Aug 03, 2022 8:15 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
SebastianC wrote:someone knows anything about using Davinci remotely.
The only idea I have is, don't.

Jim - I still can't imagine why you say things like this. It's fine to not have an answer. Even replying and saying I don't have an answer could be fine. But replying and saying don't do that? Why? It just upsets the other person and may get you flamed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

atmosfar

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 12:47 pm

I've updated to 18.01b3 and this seems to be working now. I did restart the Windows Audio service in services.msc.

Return to DaVinci Resolve