bad export - color profiles

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Shimon Maharik

bad export - color profiles

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 11:15 am

Hello guys
I've been struggling with exporting correct colour profiles
- Every clip I export is a bit darker than what I see in my viewer while editing.

Can someone please explain how and what I need to do in order to export the correct colours that I see in my main viewer?

thank you!

I use
Davinci resolve 17 public beta
Attachments
Screenshot (1533).png
Screenshot (1533).png (656.42 KiB) Viewed 411 times

Charles Bennett

Re: bad export - color profiles

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 1:16 pm

If you import your rendered file back into Resolve does it look correct? If so, then it is the player you are using that is causing the problem. All you can do is make sure your render is correct which is why using a calibrated monitor is recommended.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 1:21 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:If you import your rendered file back into Resolve does it look correct? If so, then it is the player you are using that is causing the problem. All you can do is make sure your render is correct which is why using a calibrated monitor is recommended.

To add to what Charles wrote, problems like this are usually caused by additional colorspace transforms done in player, triggered either by false metadata, wrong metadata interpretation or simply ”just because”. In some cases there are ways around it, like modifying metadata, but in general it is a rabbit hole with more problems than solutions.
I do stuff.

Jim Simon

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 4:29 pm

Shimon Maharik wrote:Can someone please explain how and what I need to do in order to export the correct colours that I see in my main viewer?
The correct way is to not use the Viewer in the software, as it's unlikely to be an accurate representation of the signal.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink

And then after export, don't use a media player on the computer for the same reason - it's unlikely to be accurate.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Shimon Maharik

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 6:28 pm

Thank you very much!
I will check and see if the problem is in fact with my player or in my colour space setting.

Return to DaVinci Resolve