Edit Page - Audio Waveform Height

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

CrinkleCut

Edit Page - Audio Waveform Height

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 12:34 pm

I accidentally did the thing I wanted to do but I can't recreate it.

Expanding the waveform heights of audio tracks without increasing the track height itself so the waveform fills the clip. I didn't normalise anything and I haven't changed the gain on any clips, pressed a button and boom! Certain track waveforms now filled the clip (amazing) while others remain invisible unless I increase the track height.

Track Waveform Zoom options are all greyed out.

How on earth do I replicate this?

Using DaVinci 17.0 on MacOS Catalina
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 10.26.31 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 10.26.31 pm.png (32.61 KiB) Viewed 3076 times

Charles Bennett

Re: Edit Page - Audio Waveform Height

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 2:54 pm

That is normal in the Cut and Edit pages. Slim tracks do not display the waveform. In the Fairlight page they have to be very slim to disappear. You can expand the slim tracks in the Timeline View Options. or individually by moving the dividing line between the track headers.
Track Height Controls.jpg
Track Height Controls.jpg (400.85 KiB) Viewed 3070 times

Hovering the mouse curser over a dividing line will change it to this symbol. Left click on it and hold down the mouse button. You can now vertically shrink or expand that track.
Divider Curser.jpg
Divider Curser.jpg (861.1 KiB) Viewed 3070 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Charles Bennett

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 3:19 pm

The small waveforms in the lower tracks in your pic indicate that their level is very low. No problems here with the zoom controls.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Jim Simon

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 4:07 pm

On the Fairlight page, we can expand the 'size' of waveforms without changing the gain. But it's not a simple button push.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

CrinkleCut

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 12:57 am

Charles Bennett wrote:The small waveforms in the lower tracks in your pic indicate that their level is very low. No problems here with the zoom controls.

This is my conundrum, the pink clip waveforms were tiny beforehand. No gain adjustments just scratch audio and then something happened and the waveform filled the clip height. Then again maybe I'm losing it haha

@Jim Simon - I've played around with the scrolling height in Fairlight and it's super useful when you're just working on audio but you can't cut video in the page which is where I need the visual

Mike Warren

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 5:18 am

CrinkleCut wrote:This is my conundrum, the pink clip waveforms were tiny beforehand. No gain adjustments just scratch audio and then something happened and the waveform filled the clip height. Then again maybe I'm losing it haha

That's really odd. Are you sure you didn't accidentally normalize those clips?

Waveform zooming in the edit page has been requested several times. As far as I know, it hasn't been implemented yet.

My only suggestion is to increase the clip gain until the waveform is how you want it and then when you've finished all the "cuts to waveform", select all clips, right click and select Remove Attributes and chose just the Volume attribute. That will reset all the track gains back to zero.
Resolve Studio 17.4.6 - Fusion Studio 17.2.2 - Windows 10
Gigabyte GTX1080ti 11GB - AMD 1950X - 64GB 2400
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Intensity Pro 4k
Presonus 192 Audio Interface
Separate M.2 SSDs for OS and Resolve Cache

Jim Simon

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 2:06 pm

Sorry, Kerry. I had the mistaken belief that those Waveform Zooms would persist across pages.

So it does appear the only way to change the waveform 'height' on the Edit page is to alter the volume.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

CrinkleCut

PostWed Jun 30, 2021 4:26 am

Mike Warren wrote:
CrinkleCut wrote:This is my conundrum, the pink clip waveforms were tiny beforehand. No gain adjustments just scratch audio and then something happened and the waveform filled the clip height. Then again maybe I'm losing it haha

That's really odd. Are you sure you didn't accidentally normalize those clips?

Waveform zooming in the edit page has been requested several times. As far as I know, it hasn't been implemented yet.

My only suggestion is to increase the clip gain until the waveform is how you want it and then when you've finished all the "cuts to waveform", select all clips, right click and select Remove Attributes and chose just the Volume attribute. That will reset all the track gains back to zero.

I think you might be right, in any case I haven't been able to reproduce it so I'm going with your workaround which is great by the way - thank you!

@Jim Simon - All good mate, fingers crossed Waveform Zooms make their way to the edit page in a future update :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve