Fairlight Bus Sends - panning disabled

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

johnford

Fairlight Bus Sends - panning disabled

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 1:41 pm

I'm trying to send a stereo track to two mono buses, panning each of them to the left/right. However, the panning knob seems to be disabled (see screenshot).

Am I doing something wrong, or is this maybe a Windows bug (W10, Resolve 17.2.1)

Thanks!
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (492.84 KiB) Viewed 1024 times

Vit Reiter

Re: Fairlight Bus Sends - panning disabled

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 1:56 pm

Only mono track can be send to Aux bus with panning.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

johnford

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 2:15 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:Only mono track can be send to Aux bus with panning.

So probably I don't understand properly the nature of "Sends". Is it not possible to send only a specific channel of a stereo or multiaudio track to another Bus?

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 4:34 pm

johnford wrote:Is it not possible to send only a specific channel of a stereo or multiaudio track to another Bus?
Paths may be routed from any source to any destination via Patch IO (Fairlight menu).

Mattias Murhagen

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 11:01 pm

johnford wrote:
Vit Reiter wrote:Only mono track can be send to Aux bus with panning.

So probably I don't understand properly the nature of "Sends". Is it not possible to send only a specific channel of a stereo or multiaudio track to another Bus?

From what I can see your destinations are "Sure L" and "Sure R" and they're both mono buses, correct? So there is no panning into that destination because the destination has only one channel. You pan into a destination. The way you have it set up the sum of left and right in your stereo source will be sent to whatever mono target you have. At least that's how I think it should be.

Reynaud's solution could be correct.

What's the purpose of doing this?

johnford

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 2:06 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:
johnford wrote:Is it not possible to send only a specific channel of a stereo or multiaudio track to another Bus?
Paths may be routed from any source to any destination via Patch IO (Fairlight menu).

Mattias Murhagen wrote:From what I can see your destinations are "Sure L" and "Sure R" and they're both mono buses, correct? So there is no panning into that destination because the destination has only one channel. You pan into a destination. The way you have it set up the sum of left and right in your stereo source will be sent to whatever mono target you have. At least that's how I think it should be.
What's the purpose of doing this?

Thanks for the clarification, I had in fact misunderstood the idea of panning.
The purpose is decoding a mid/side recording without using a plug-in.

Return to DaVinci Resolve