Crash on startup

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

wuestenfuchs

Crash on startup

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 8:02 pm

Dear community,

I have been a quite happy and frequent user of Davinci Resolve for some years now and bought the Studio version in 2019.
Currently I am operating Davinci Resolve 17.1 on a Macbook 16“ with OS Catalina from 2020 with pretty much the best specs you could get at that time (2,4Ghz 8-Core i9, 64GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro 5600m 8GB).

In my current project I had some extensive tracking in Fusion but everything seemed fine until …
Resolve froze when I switched from the Edit into the Fusion tab and after that no more reactions what so ever.
I had to force quit Resolve and now it won’t display any interface surface on restarting. The MacBook menu bar shows Resolve is running but nothing more will work.
Since I had the user settings on automatically reopening the last opened project I also can not access any other projects.
I also tried updating to 17.2 as a rescue measure, unfortunately with no effect.
I am at my wits end here and would really appreciate help on how to proceed and get the application running again without losing too much of the project.
My deadline is dooming and any more interruptions will be quite devastating.

I have extracted CaptureLogs and System Information files, just not sure how to post them here.

Hope someone can tell me how to fix this.

Lychon

Re: Crash on startup

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 1:47 am

There was another post today about a similar issue of Resolve not starting on a Mac. Like I said there, when this happened to me on my PC, the issue was the Intel HD Graphics driver. For a Mac, I don't know if that applies, but it might have something to do with the drivers of your system or graphics processor being updated- if you are familiar with how to find out what was updated on your system in the last 24-48 hours and roll it back to its previous version, it might reveal the issue.

This is just a suggestion- I don't work on Macs and don't know them well.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 4:34 am

Put the resolve generated logs on dropbox or similar and put a link here with a space in the path.. details in the FAQS.. at the bottom
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

wuestenfuchs

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 8:52 am

thanks Peter.

hope this works know

dropbox .com/s/yhz78np6oidhwd9/ MacBook%20Pro.spx?dl=0

dropbox .com/s/ky7iiv65j1n74ug/ DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210623-212023.tgz?dl=0

wuestenfuchs

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 8:53 am

Lychon wrote:There was another post today about a similar issue of Resolve not starting on a Mac. Like I said there, when this happened to me on my PC, the issue was the Intel HD Graphics driver. For a Mac, I don't know if that applies, but it might have something to do with the drivers of your system or graphics processor being updated- if you are familiar with how to find out what was updated on your system in the last 24-48 hours and roll it back to its previous version, it might reveal the issue.

This is just a suggestion- I don't work on Macs and don't know them well.

thanks for the idea.
I'm super careful with any kind of updates for exactly this reason. most of the time, my machine isn't even connected to the net.

wuestenfuchs

Re: Crash on startup!

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 5:15 pm

Anyone any idea why this could be happening?

Right now I have three weeks of project work - of course this only happens when you’re about to finish a project - frozen behind a non-responsive UI.

Could a new install help?
What would that do to the project I was working on?

I had backed up my hard drive beforehand and had the automated Resolve backup running.
What will I be able to recover?

Happy about any helpful answers.

Cheers!

Return to DaVinci Resolve