Audio drop-outs in 17.2.1

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

maartenl945

Audio drop-outs in 17.2.1

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 9:00 pm

Hi,

I've always had occasional audio drop-outs in Resolve during playback, but since I upgraded to Studio 17.2.1 I'm experiencing them also on the exported video.

Strange thing is that they seem to occur on a certain audio track now, very much at fixed moments after a cut in the audio and related video track. If I don't cut the track they do not occur.

I know this update is supposed to solve audio drop-outs but for me they seem to have gotten more serious because they now also occur in the export.

Anybody else with similar issues ?

Regards,
Maarten

Resolve Studio 17.2.1
RME AES audio interface, 48KHz, buffer size 1024 samples
Windows 10
Intel 10900K/32Gb/RTX3060/RME-AES/Windows 10

Check out my YouYube channel about home recording https://www.youtube.com/LanewoodStudios

maartenl945

Re: Audio drop-outs in 17.2.1

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 6:37 am

To make it a bit more clear:

In the timeline below, the left side contains exactly the same audio and video as the right side.
The only difference is that I've cut out the silences on the left side. On the right side it is one straight clip.

On the left side, the audio has major drop-outs after about 4 to 5 seconds into each clip.
On the right side the same audio plays perfectly.

DaVinciAudioError.PNG
DaVinciAudioError.PNG (58.89 KiB) Viewed 1038 times

I tried it with both Davinci Resolve Studio as well as the free version and both have the same issue.
I also tried to revert to the previous NVidia Studio driver (462.59), but still problems.

Some more details about my system:
Windows 10
CPU i10900K, 32GB RAM, RTX3060

Check out my YouYube channel about home recording https://www.youtube.com/LanewoodStudios

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 6:51 am

Any change employing Batch Fades on the Fairlight page rather than Transition Effects?

Select all Audio Clips > Fairlight Menu > Batch Fade Settings (configure as required) > Apply

Suggest adding custom keybindings to the Batch Fade functions as none are assigned by default.

maartenl945

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 7:28 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:Any change employing Batch Fades on the Fairlight page rather than Transition Effects?

Select all Audio Clips > Fairlight Menu > Batch Fade Settings (configure as required) > Apply

Suggest adding custom keybindings to the Batch Fade functions as none are assigned by default.

Thanks for your suggestion. The audio crossfades are not causing this as the problem persists when I remove those fades.

But will still give your suggestion a go and see what it does.

Regards,
Maarten

Jim Simon

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 1:56 pm

There have been reports of issues when using nested audio, and that includes Multicam. Try this:

1. Add the audio you want to hear under the uncut Multicam.
2. Sync it up. (In 17, this can now be done automatically.)
3. Disable the Multicam audio.

Now do the edits.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

maartenl945

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 2:48 pm

Jim Simon wrote:There have been reports of issues when using nested audio, and that includes Multicam. Try this:

Now do the edits.

Thanks for your reply!

That's very interesting because this audio track IS part of a multicam clip actually. The audio is part of one of the video files that is in the multi-cam (only 2 cams, but this particular video file has 3 embedded audio tracks). In order to follow your suggestion I guess I need to get the audio out of the video file first to be able to put it under the multicam. I'll see if I can somehow do that.

Any further reference to the reports that you mentioned?

Jim Simon

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 2:49 pm

You don't have to separate the audio from the video, you can just add the audio portion of the clip to the timeline by itself.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

maartenl945

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 3:27 pm

Jim Simon wrote:You don't have to separate the audio from the video, you can just add the audio portion of the clip to the timeline by itself.

Excellent, will try that tonight. Thanks for the help!

maartenl945

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 5:53 am

Jim Simon wrote:There have been reports of issues when using nested audio, and that includes Multicam. Try this:

Now do the edits.

Worked great as a work around until they solve the bug.
Thanks again very much!! Was finally able to finish my next YouTube video.

Jim Simon

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 7:32 pm

I actually consider this more of an SOP workflow than a work around. Keeping the audio out of the Multicam just makes mixing the project in Fairlight so much easier (especially when the Multicam isn't the only clip in the timeline).
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

maartenl945

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 9:57 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I actually consider this more of an SOP workflow than a work around. Keeping the audio out of the Multicam just makes mixing the project in Fairlight so much easier (especially when the Multicam isn't the only clip in the timeline).

Yeah I understand what you’re saying. For the kind of videos that I make, I always either want to hear my voice (CAM audio) or desktop capture audio from OBS. And for that the multicam audio has always worked quite well. I do always drag the clips with desktop capture audio to a separate track for other processing in fairlight.

maartenl945

PostTue Sep 07, 2021 8:24 pm

I wonder, is this now solved in Resolve Studio 17.3.1 by means of:

"Ability to combine multi source audio files to export interleaved audio" ?

From the release notes.

Return to DaVinci Resolve