New training materials on the Blackmagic Design web site.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: New training materials on the BMD web site.

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 10:58 pm

With current Chrome on Windows (Version 97.0.4692.71), nothing happens if I click the Project File links. If you right click them, and select Save Link As, they will download. But then Chrome is upset about something with the security of the files or the site, and puts up a warning "File.zip can't be downloaded securely" and has a Discard button. If you select the up arrow next to the Discard button, you can select to Keep the file. I had to do that for all the project files.

I'll report this to the appropriate authorities, since it seems to be affecting others, and see if something can be done to improve the issue.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 9:52 pm

The issue of the Resolve 17 videos Project links not working on some browser/computer configurations has been addressed. Please let us know if anyone experiences additional issues with the Projects links.
Dwaine Maggart

eikonoklastes

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 7:07 am

Just went through the Color Management video, and there is a discrepancy in the instructions and the footage. The instructor points to the 3rd clip as RAW, but all the video clips in the project are actually ProRes 4444.

Not a huge deal, but does potentially create 2 issues for newcomers:
- How to procure, import and add to the timeline a RAW file to test what is being instructed
- How to colour manage the ProRes 4444 clips — what Input Color Space would you use for files that are not coming from a camera, but have instead been rendered out. The video does not cover that.

Uli Plank

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 7:38 am

And then, the ProRes 4444 clips don’t work on M1 Macs.
I have informed BM's and Apple's support.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Marc Fisher

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 10:40 pm

Is there a reason, on Amazon, why the BMD printed books vary in price so much? they're not cheap books to begin with, $39, $49.99, $75, and $76.50 for the various books.

Yes, i know i can download them for free, however, I like to look away from the computer screen occasionally. The Fairlight book 2x as much as the Beginners book.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 3:28 am

Marc Fisher wrote:Is there a reason, on Amazon, why the BMD printed books vary in price so much? they're not cheap books to begin with, $39, $49.99, $75, and $76.50 for the various books.

Yes, i know i can download them for free, however, I like to look away from the computer screen occasionally. The Fairlight book 2x as much as the Beginners book.

Me too. I prefer print over electronic. The books are expensive.
You can download the PFF and print them out.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

crudeclacker

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 3:24 pm

Further to other comments, the Color training segment "Control Panel Video" is seemingly not ready. The media files provided are not playable/show up as offline media within the software.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 7:10 pm

All the media is there on my system.

In Finder/File Explorer, if you look in the ControlPanel_Video.dra\MediaFiles folder, is there anything there?

What type of system are you on? Do the other training videos work for you?
Dwaine Maggart

crudeclacker

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 12:42 pm

Hi Dwain,

Yes all the the media is there and populates in the restored archive but unplayable within and out-with resolve, to be more specific the video media.

I moved on to the colour training book lesson 1 which have the same issue with their downloadable content, and appear in the same way that the erroneous files did with the control panel material.

I have deleted and re-downloaded the files with no change. This is a new Mac and yes every other video and attached content work (except what eikonoklastes mentioned about the mismatch in the colour management video).

I’ve just loaded up the mediafiles from “BMD 17 CC - Project 1” and “controlpanels_video, unsurprisingly they’re mostly the same files! Projects 2 & 3 media seems all in order, it’s just this common pool of dead files.

Can someone at BMD please address this? I’d quite like to go through and learn these materials.

crudeclacker

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 4:14 pm

grindeddown wrote:I have finished the Beginner's Guide and thought it was great. I have moved on to the Colorist's guide and I cannot get the media to play from lesson/part 1.

I am using the Apple 16 MacBook Pro with M1 Max, latest version of resolve, latest version of Mac (Monterey) and pro video formats, etc...

Whenever I restore the project archive in lesson 1 at the beginning of the book, the media shows as offline with no option of relinking the media at all. The timelines, audio, and bins all show up fine. I have tried to manually re-link/update source media and it doesn't change anything. After going into the folder through finder in the OS, I cannot play back the video files either. No thumbnail shows up for the clip. Instead it is just the QuickTime logo. Opening the video file in QuickTime plays back a black screen, but it does show the playback progression and timecode.

I have been able to load the video files into Final Cut Pro and they will playback in the timeline, but they will not display the current frame/thumbnail in the viewer while playback is paused.

I noticed the file is Prores 444 encoded so I did some tests running some of my other prores footage and transcoded prores clips without these issues.

Any thoughts or help?

Re media/lesson files: My problem is exactly as grindeddown describes back in November and seemingly no one has addressed it or even responded to the poor soul.

Further testing on another 2021 Mac setup yields exact same results. Both of these are design for native prores processing and the files provided don't work without 3rd party players (IINA).

When switching to a windows system we were able to get it working but had to relink all the files, which is useless to those that work exclusively on Mac.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 6:42 pm

Seems like those specific files are not working with M1 Pro or M1 Max based systems. Can you confirm that's the type of system you are using?

I've reported the issue.
Dwaine Maggart

Uli Plank

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 6:46 pm

I can confirm the issue with those ProRes 4444 files.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

crudeclacker

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 7:17 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Seems like those specific files are not working with M1 Pro or M1 Max based systems. Can you confirm that's the type of system you are using?

I've reported the issue.

Absolutely Dwaine, I concur it is most definitely an incompatibility with the new M1 chips: I’ve had success with a near dead 2014 MacBook Pro today. My new MBP is indeed the M1 Max.

wdupuis

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 7:26 pm

I've completed most of the training modules and enjoy them very much as a learning tool.
The Fairlight Dolby Atmos training module currently does not align with what is happening in my new version of Davinci Resolve studio and there are many incongruencies.

chumpboy

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 9:30 pm

I'm having the same Media Offline issue with the Colorist Guide project files. I am also on a MacBook Pro with a M1 Max chip. I also have Pro Video Formats 2.2.2 installed but that doesn't appear to help.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 4:13 am

Yes, the files in this dra are similar to the files above: Project 01 - Disunity Documentary.dra

We are aware and working to rectify the issue.
Dwaine Maggart

BigDarry

PostSun Jan 30, 2022 12:15 pm

Hi,
The Advanced Color video (DaVinci-Resolve-17-Color-AdvancedColor.mp4) from the BMD site has no audio. It's a bit complicated to understand how some tools work under these conditions.
Sincerely

Ashton Lamont

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 11:24 am

BigDarry wrote:Hi,
The Advanced Color video (DaVinci-Resolve-17-Color-AdvancedColor.mp4) from the BMD site has no audio. It's a bit complicated to understand how some tools work under these conditions.
Sincerely

Meanwhile, if you find the Youtube copy you can hear the audio. You can download the Youtube file by using the free app called 4kvideodownloader

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 5:34 pm

@Thierry: There is audio on that file. Are you using a Linux system? The audio on that file is AAC, and Linux Resolve does not support AAC audio.
Dwaine Maggart

BigDarry

PostTue Feb 01, 2022 12:14 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Thierry: There is audio on that file. Are you using a Linux system? The audio on that file is AAC, and Linux Resolve does not support AAC audio.

Thank very much for your answer.
I am on Windows 10 but I downloaded it again and it works perfectly now

chumpboy

PostFri Feb 04, 2022 5:09 pm

Any update on this?

darkrail

PostSun Feb 06, 2022 7:26 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Seems like those specific files are not working with M1 Pro or M1 Max based systems. Can you confirm that's the type of system you are using?

I've reported the issue.

I'm excited to get going on this lesson. (Project 01 - Disunity Documentary.dra)

Files won't play on M1 Max MBP, not in Resolve or Quicktime. I can play them in VLC but that doesn't help much.

Does anyone have a suggested workaround until they get the files fixed? Is there some way I can transcode these into a format that will play in Resolve on an M1 Max?

Thanks!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 07, 2022 3:13 am

It's my understanding that these files have been fixed, and should be uploaded soon. Hopefully this week.
Dwaine Maggart

Steve Alexander

PostSat Feb 12, 2022 7:23 pm

I've been going through these in the last few days and I have to say that BMD has produced some excellent training for Resolve 17.

I would like to offer a huge thanks to BMD and to all the trainers who have done a fantastic job of explaining the basics as well as some very advanced workflows. Watching these got me totally stoked!

Cheers!

Add - I enjoyed the compositing tutorials for Fusion - anyone catch the instructor's name (Matt(e))? Lol
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Braden

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 1:16 am

Hello,

Has anyone has gone through the advanced color lesson with the footage of the two people hiking? It's a Blackmagic RAW clip. The lesson goes into color management and discusses using the use of DaVinci Wide Gamut. Strangely though when I follow the instructions of setting up the project as: Color Science - DaVinci YRGB Color Managed with the Resolve Color management preset as DaVinci Wide Gamut the footage does not react the same as in the video. For example, in the video, it mentions using the highlight recovery in the Camera Raw panel and it shows how it brings back the highlights in the sky. This is not working for me in this setup. If I change the Color Management to DaVinci YRGB/Timeline Color Space DaVinci WG/Intermediate it does react as the video suggests.

Am I missing something? Or is the video incorrect on how to set up the color management?

Steve Alexander

PostFri Feb 18, 2022 2:16 pm

Braden wrote:Hello,

Has anyone has gone through the advanced color lesson with the footage of the two people hiking? It's a Blackmagic RAW clip. The lesson goes into color management and discusses using the use of DaVinci Wide Gamut. Strangely though when I follow the instructions of setting up the project as: Color Science - DaVinci YRGB Color Managed with the Resolve Color management preset as DaVinci Wide Gamut the footage does not react the same as in the video. For example, in the video, it mentions using the highlight recovery in the Camera Raw panel and it shows how it brings back the highlights in the sky. This is not working for me in this setup. If I change the Color Management to DaVinci YRGB/Timeline Color Space DaVinci WG/Intermediate it does react as the video suggests.

Am I missing something? Or is the video incorrect on how to set up the color management?

I just went through that training tutorial and it worked as demonstrated (this is with Resolve Studio 17.4.4).
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Braden

PostFri Feb 25, 2022 1:20 am

As I mentioned the color management according to the video should be DaVinci YRGB Color Managed and the Resolve color management preset as DaVinci Wide Gamut. If I bypass the color management for the Blackmagic Raw clip it seems to react as the training video suggests with the Highlight Recovery revealing detail in the sky. In the video, it never suggests you do this though, and says all BM Raw clips will be auto remapped into the working colorspace.

I still feel like I'm missing something.

Braden

PostFri Feb 25, 2022 2:12 am

I finally figured out what the issue was...under Preferences --> Decode Options I needed Use GPU for Blackmagic RAW decode selected. After I restarted the footage reacted as the video suggests.

Steve Alexander

PostFri Feb 25, 2022 2:02 pm

Braden wrote:I finally figured out what the issue was...under Preferences --> Decode Options I needed Use GPU for Blackmagic RAW decode selected. After I restarted the footage reacted as the video suggests.

Good find. That setting is enabled on my system (and I've never touched it so it must have been a default setting at some point - maybe it still is?).
Time Traveller

Braden

PostSat Mar 05, 2022 12:26 am

Hello,

I'm continuing my journey through these new training materials on BMD web site and I've run into another issue. At around 7:10 into the Color Management video lesson, it's explaining that raw footage(R3D, BRAW, ect) will not be affected by changing the ACES Input Device Transform because the raw footage is color managed automatically to the correct input mapping. So you will not see a change in the footage when you change the input mapping. Yet, the training archived project you use to follow along is using transcoded ProRes files that will change when you choose different input mapping options. Are the training files correct that come with this training module? Should they not be raw files to follow along with the video? Am I missing something?

Steve Alexander

PostSat Mar 05, 2022 12:30 am

Braden wrote:Hello,

I'm continuing my journey through these new training materials on BMD web site and I've run into another issue. At around 7:10 into the Color Management video lesson, it's explaining that raw footage(R3D, BRAW, ect) will not be affected by changing the ACES Input Device Transform because the raw footage is color managed automatically to the correct input mapping. So you will not see a change in the footage when you change the input mapping. Yet, the training archived project you use to follow along is using transcoded ProRes files that will change when you choose different input mapping options. Are the training files correct that come with this training module? Should they not be raw files to follow along with the video? Am I missing something?

I noticed that, too. One of the training sessions (the second one, I believe) does come with a couple of BRAW files so you could try it with that but the specific tutorial on the color managed workflow does not include any BRAW files for some reason.
Time Traveller

SamiSeeker

Re: New training materials on the Blackmagic Design web site

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 5:30 pm

Had an issue with beginner multicam training, multicam angles for Miserable Girl didn't have the metadata.
Added the data so I could complete the training:
JBR01-1
JBR02-8
JBR03-2
JBR04-5
JBR05-6
JBR06-3
JBR07-4
JBR08-7
Hope this helps someone.
Thanks for the otherwise great materials BM!

GKeess

PostFri Mar 25, 2022 5:26 pm

Hi

I have been searching for an hour or so and had no luck.
I am going through the "Beginners Guide" as I am brand new to this.

On page 61 (really in beginner mode) "adding a drop shadow" the TIP says I can preview the effect by hovering over it. The "reference Manual" says the same thing as well as implying that I can scrub through the whole "clip". I do see the scrub bar in the effects window but it makes no difference in the where I scrub in the preview.

When I do that, all is see is the graphic with the black background. I can not "live" preview the effect.
If I double click on it, it applies it and all is well.

Do I have something turned off/on? Maybe I initially brought the .PNG in wrong?

I am on a Windows machine and using the Speed Editor if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 25, 2022 6:09 pm

Do you have Hover Scrub enabled?

hover_scrub.png
hover_scrub.png (524.47 KiB) Viewed 211072 times
Dwaine Maggart

GKeess

PostFri Mar 25, 2022 7:12 pm

Yes I do.
I even tried turning if off then on. I can see the scrubber bar in the effect area but nothing on the screen changes, of course, that is because I am not getting a transparent look to the logo.

pchaps

PostSat Mar 26, 2022 7:45 pm

Many thanks for the excellent training materials! I am in Introduction to Editing Part 1 video. FYI, at 39:42 Ripple Delete "Shift + Delete" in DRS 17.4.5 in Win10 menu, the keyboard shortcut is actually "Shift + Backspace" from what I can see in the menu. Perhaps this had been noted. I am new to digital editing therefore if I misunderstood, kindly let me know.

Back to praise, this training is wonderful. Thank you!
ASUS TUF Gaming Pro x570; Win10 Pro64
Ryzen 5900x, ASUS 3060ti KO OC 8gb, G.Skill DDR4 64gb 3200 CL14
A bunch of SSD's both NVMe m.2 and 2.5" SATAIII.
MFA RIT Go Tigers!

Steve Alexander

PostSat Mar 26, 2022 9:33 pm

pchaps wrote:Many thanks for the excellent training materials! I am in Introduction to Editing Part 1 video. FYI, at 39:42 Ripple Delete "Shift + Delete" in DRS 17.4.5 in Win10 menu, the keyboard shortcut is actually "Shift + Backspace" from what I can see in the menu. Perhaps this had been noted. I am new to digital editing therefore if I misunderstood, kindly let me know.

Back to praise, this training is wonderful. Thank you!

You're correct. On a Mac keyboard, the 'backspace' key is actually the delete key so quite often the material talks about 'delete' but they mean the backspace key (on a Windows keyboard). It's a little maddening at times trying to remember that 'backspace' does not ripple the timeline whereas SHIFT + Backspace ripples the timeline.
Time Traveller

RodneyHenson

PostMon Jul 25, 2022 12:32 am

When will the Resolve 18 training materials (books and videos) be available? Thanks

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 25, 2022 1:40 am

Soon. In the meantime try the v17 material
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

mediaemerson

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 10:15 pm

Any news on the new books/training for version 18?

kesha55

PostSun Aug 21, 2022 9:13 am

Very useful! Thank you very much!

jgugenheim

PostThu Sep 08, 2022 5:43 pm

Hi

All hail the training resources on the BM website, they are fantastic.

Does anyone know what key Chris presses at 31:08 in "DaVinci-Resolve-17-Edit-MulticamEditing.mov" in the training lessons? It's where a Multicam cut jumps backwards to the playhead.

Many thanks.
JG

15" Macbook Pro, 2.9GHz 6c i9, 32GB RAM, Vega 20 4GB
Vega 56 8GB in a Core X eGPU cage
Laptop + 2x2k & 1x4k display
iPad + 4k display
Resolve Studio for Mac and iPad + Speed editor
BMPCC4k & BMPCC6k Pro

Ahmadallah Hemid

PostWed Sep 14, 2022 11:49 pm

jgugenheim wrote:Hi

All hail the training resources on the BM website, they are fantastic.

Does anyone know what key Chris presses at 31:08 in "DaVinci-Resolve-17-Edit-MulticamEditing.mov" in the training lessons? It's where a Multicam cut jumps backwards to the playhead.

Many thanks.

Hi Jgugenheim
Chris use V to select the nearest edit point and then places the playhead at where he wants the edit to happen and press E "you can find it under Trim menu, called extend edit"

jgugenheim

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 8:13 am

Ahmadallah Hemid wrote:
Hi Jgugenheim
Chris use V to select the nearest edit point and then places the playhead at where he wants the edit to happen and press E "you can find it under Trim menu, called extend edit"

Thank you so much! I had worked out the E aft starting on the guide book lessons, but Chris remains in select mode, not trim - where it is supposed to work. Anyway, I'm very grateful for your response, it has moved me on. There is so much to learn!

Jeremy
JG

15" Macbook Pro, 2.9GHz 6c i9, 32GB RAM, Vega 20 4GB
Vega 56 8GB in a Core X eGPU cage
Laptop + 2x2k & 1x4k display
iPad + 4k display
Resolve Studio for Mac and iPad + Speed editor
BMPCC4k & BMPCC6k Pro

xchrisx

PostSun Oct 23, 2022 10:14 am

Please tell us when the Resolve 18 trainings will be available. Thank you very much.

Uli Plank

PostSun Oct 23, 2022 10:57 am

If you don't want to wait any longer for the free version, here is one from Ripple Training:
https://www.rippletraining.com/products ... -training/
(still at introductory price)

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with them other than having used their tutorials before and written about one of them for a magazine.

xchrisx

PostSun Oct 23, 2022 11:59 am

Thanks, but for me the only trusted sources are the official training videos from real professionals, and I am also planning to take an exam in the future and don't want to miss anything about the software.

Uli Plank

PostSun Oct 23, 2022 2:27 pm

From Rippletraining:"This course was specifically designed to prepare users for taking and ultimately passing Blackmagic Design’s Certified end-user exam."

But with more patience you may get what you are asking for.

xunile

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 5:28 am

The is a new Resolve 18 Colorist Guide released today.
Attachments
2022-12-09 (2).jpg
2022-12-09 (2).jpg (262.25 KiB) Viewed 163937 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

[]\/[]Tomas

PostSat Jan 07, 2023 12:22 am

I just finished Part 1 of the editing guided training. I'll give ****. Well done. Well Executed.

Had trouble the first ripple delete at the beginning of the timeline. He said hit the Shift & delete key, nothing happened. I struggled until I hit Shift & backspace. Then the second ripple cut Chris mentioned Backspace on PC. Just an FYI.

Another Unresolved issue I have is @TC: 0:33:00 Talking about deselecting the audio record (A1) button. That did work, But I have not been able to RE-enable it. Ever; on this project. It Remains Unselected along with any of the other A# channels.

But I nailed the audio cut on the first take. And felt like Chris praised me @TC: 00:43:43. (I'm not much of a professional Editor, but have had experience with many platforms through out my career and consider myself above average with Adobe products as I've been using it since CS3.) That felt good hearing that. Especially on a pre-recorded package. Anyway, I can't wait to delete this project and do it again. Proficiency is my goal.

I've also got the Speed Editor and was looking forward to an official Training video with it's use. I see the Power that speed editor has and have watched some YouTube people (Cough Casey) and seen exactly how fast someone can be when they know all the keyboard commands. It's jaw dropping; but I don't see a video about the CUT page or speed editor. Hopefully one could be produced which has repetition built into the training to help solidify the keyboard commands.

Speaking of the Speed Editor- I'd also like to add one last thing to this post:

Having that speed Editor connected to the computer with USB-C, I later found out about the internal battery and Bluetooth. Love that, BUT- Would like to see the Mini Speed Editor upgraded to also contain:
TWO (unpopulated/User accessible) NVMe slots!
So an editor could also carry their projects and media WITHIN the Speed Editor. Obviously that would mean the Speed Editor would have to be connected with USB-C, But Hey! Most of us already do this with an External drive. And adding the NVMe ports (doors) to the underside of the Mini Speed Editor would be Really Genius for the mobile laptop editor on the go!

Also: Fix the jog/shuttle to work like classical Jog/Shuttle knobs on professional SONY, Panasonic & JVC Tape decks. Smash the knob to Lock a Shuttle with a limited +/- 30 degree turn. Smash it again and Free roll (JOG 365 degree) frame by frame. As it is now, It Kinda works, but is outta control in the Shuttle mode. It needs a knob lock to allow a limited degree of motion and maximum shuttle speed.

YES, I am an an experienced old Linear Tape-to-Tape editing kind of guy.. well, mor like a Broadcast Engineer...

Thanks for reading this far..
[]\/[]Tomas
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve