Setting up PostgreSQL on a QNAP NAS using Container Station

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Andy Dopieralski

Setting up PostgreSQL on a QNAP NAS using Container Station

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 10:45 pm

I just went through the process of setting up a QNAP PostgreSQL server to host my Resolve database and found that a lot of issues I ran into were not well documented or were very out of date, so I figured I'd create a modern list (as of 24 June 2021) of instructions for getting a PostgreSQL server created on an up to date QNAP. This should work with ANY container host, but this is specific to my experience with QNAP and their OS.

Hopefully this will help someone else. The instructions below assume a few things. 1) that you're somewhat familiar with installing applications on your NAS, 2) that you're confident enough with a command line not to run away screaming like a sane person, and 3) that you're sadistic enough to actually want to do this - or like me, you have a need for multiple editors but don't have a great network drive solution (Mac/Linux/Win hybrid in example).

Please feel free to add issues as replies and I'll try to keep the post up to date.

Step 1: Install Container Station from the QNAP store. (this may take a long time)
Step 2: Launch Container Station
Step 3: Click the Create button in the left navigation pane of Container Station.
Step 4: In the upper-right corner of the new window, click +Create Application (Do not use the pre-populated PostgreSQL installer).
Step 5: In the lower-left corner of the new window, select PostgreSQL in the Sample dropdown.
Step 6: Give the application a name in the YAML file (make any changes to username/password you'd like here) and click 'Validate YAML.'
Step 7: Click Create (this may take a long time).
Step 8: Click the Overview navigation button in the left hand navigation menu.
Step 9: Click the arrow next to the new app you created to expand the container.
Step 10: Click the Terminal logo (>_) next to your Postgres install (there will be a version number, but don't click the terminal button on the Admin line item).
Step 11: Enter /bin/sh and click OK.
Step 12: Install VIM on your container instance (if you're comfortable using echo to append a file, skip this part):
    - apt update
    - apt install vim
    - Y
Step 13: Edit your postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf files, located in var/lib/postgresql/data, as follows:
    - cd var/lib/postgresql/data
    - vim postgresql.conf
    - ensure the line * listen_addresses = '*' * is present, usually under the Connection Settings header.
    - If it is not there, add it to the bottom of the file and save.
    - vim pg_hba.conf
    - At the bottom add two lines per network you want to serve (ex: 192.168.0.0/24 is a standard 255 node subnet from 192.168.0.1 - 254)
    - host all all [Network Address]/[Mask Length] md5
    - host all all [Network Address]/[Mask Length] trust
    - this should look something like the following but with your subnet:
      host all all 192.168.0.0/24 md5
      host all all 192.168.0.0/24 trust
    - repeat this for any other active adapters you may utilize for Resolve connections.
Step 14: Save the files and restart the app container from the Container Station UI.
Step 15: Launch the PostgreSQL management link from the right of the admin app in the container. Usually this will be the ip of the NAS:7070.
Step 16: Click on PostgreSQL under Servers in the left hand navigation pane.
Step 17: Click on Roles at the top of the page.
Step 18: If the role posgres does not exist, click Create role.
Step 19: Fill out the form (missing items leave blank/unchecked):
    - Name: postgres
    - Password: (the same password used for the default role of qnap_postgres)
    - Superuser: X
    - Create DB: X
    - Can create role: X
    - Can login: X
    - Connection Limit: 100
    - Memper of: qnap_postgres
    - Admin members: qnap_postgres
Step 20: Click Create

That should be all you need to allow Resolve to create a new Postgres DB over the network.

Appendix:
Quick VIM commands:
I = Insert/enter edit mode, press this to begin editing
ESC = Leave editing and enter command mode
:q! (while in command mode) = Quit without saving. When in doubt, esc, :q!.
:w (while in command mode) = Write/save your changes to the file.
:wq! (while in command mode) = Write and immediately quit (savequit).

Common errors:
BtException / QPSQL: Unable to create query - Double check steps 17 on. Ensure that role exists.
Connection Refused: Double check step 13. Ensure no typos and that you have the correct network info.
http://watch.yourlamefriends.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1504735/

footofwrath

Re: Setting up PostgreSQL on a QNAP NAS using Container Stat

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 12:14 am

Dude//// this is a killer write-up. I'm definitely going to do this at some point, and you have saved me a ton of work. Much appreciated. Will pump this up onto my TS-470.
By any chance did you come across any guides for migrating existing local Resolve DBs into Postre? I guess it can't be too difficult, surely is a situation that everyone faces during their evolution in this space. :)
Resolve Studio 18.6.3
Ryzen 9 5950x || RTX3090 || 64Gb 3600Mhz || Intel X520 10Gbe
MacBookPro M1 Max || 32C GPU || 64Gb || QNAP T310G1S SFP+ 10Gbe
QNAP TVS-871 @ 74tb formatted R6, Mellanox MCX312b 10Gbe
Mikrotik switches & routers

Igor Riđanović

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 9:44 pm

footofwrath wrote:By any chance did you come across any guides for migrating existing local Resolve DBs into Postre? I guess it can't be too difficult, surely is a situation that everyone faces during their evolution in this space. :)

Save a project DRP, switch to a PSQL database, import DRP.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

footofwrath

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 11:07 pm

Igor Riđanović wrote:
Save a project DRP, switch to a PSQL database, import DRP.

Cool, cheers. I figured there must be an export option of some kind anyway.. same idea. Cheers :)
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

ahuertaver

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 3:21 am

Andy Dopieralski: I followed all the instructions, but davinci resolve does not make the conection with the server.

After following the steps and failed with the connection, I decided delete postgresql in my qnap and re-install, following the same steps.
Not success-

Can you help me?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 5:25 am

@Andrew: Just say this thread. Regarding getting existing Disk db projects into the PostgreSQL db:

Assuming Resolve is connected to both dbs, in the Disk db, select the projects you wish to copy to the PostgreSQL db.

Then use your systems Copy command (Ctrl-c on Windows, Cmd-c on Mac) then switch select the PostgreSQL db and use your systems Paste command (Ctrl-v on Windows, Cmd-v on Mac).
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

footofwrath

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 5:23 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Andrew: Just say this thread. Regarding getting existing Disk db projects into the PostgreSQL db:

Assuming Resolve is connected to both dbs, in the Disk db, select the projects you wish to copy to the PostgreSQL db.

Then use your systems Copy command (Ctrl-c on Windows, Cmd-c on Mac) then switch select the PostgreSQL db and use your systems Paste command (Ctrl-v on Windows, Cmd-v on Mac).

Brilliant & simple 8-)
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

Luksic

PostSun Mar 06, 2022 2:17 am

Aloha Andy, Thank you for that detailed procedure, you got me over a huge hurdle.
a few things I did different for Resolve, On creating the YAML for Image:postgres:11.6- was the default, I changed that to Image:postgres:9.5.4-

Changed the Ports to my 10Gbe Ip address
and user name and password set to my resolve username and password...

Thanks again,
Stephen

Ian Duncan

PostSat Apr 16, 2022 12:32 am

Stephen

I have followed your additional instructions as the 11.6 version did not work for me.

I am still not able to connect to the database

Andy, when I create the postgres user int the phppgadmin page I get an error :
ERROR: role "qnap_postgres" is a member of role "postgres"
CREATE ROLE "postgres" WITH ENCRYPTED PASSWORD 'md575f69b645ee2a1cd92e4a57e51688168' SUPERUSER CREATEDB CREATEROLE NOINHERIT LOGIN CONNECTION LIMIT 100 VALID UNTIL 'infinity' IN ROLE "qnap_postgres" ADMIN "qnap_postgres"

I am able to create the role but not assign the members of or admin members it seems.

Any thoughts on this?
Last edited by Ian Duncan on Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Ian

Machine:
Custom Built Win10 Pro
Intel Core i9-7980X
GIGABYTE X299 DESIGNARE EX
Samsung 960 PRO Series 512 for OS and 2TB for cache
128gb DDR4 3000
2 x TitanXp GPU
External black magic Decklink 4k through thunderbolt 3
10GBE Nic

Ian Duncan

PostSat Apr 16, 2022 12:35 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Andrew: Just say this thread. Regarding getting existing Disk db projects into the PostgreSQL db:

What if you dont have access and you are trying to pull it from a backup of your database?
Cheers,

Ian

Machine:
Custom Built Win10 Pro
Intel Core i9-7980X
GIGABYTE X299 DESIGNARE EX
Samsung 960 PRO Series 512 for OS and 2TB for cache
128gb DDR4 3000
2 x TitanXp GPU
External black magic Decklink 4k through thunderbolt 3
10GBE Nic

k2blades540

PostThu Jul 28, 2022 7:11 pm

This was very helpful and combined with QNAP's instructions I was able to get something down the middle working with Postgres 14.1. But, I have an endless stream of "invalid length of startup packet" errors in the Postgres log. Everything otherwise works fine though.

Return to DaVinci Resolve