RR17.2.1 Build 12: Bugs (Win10)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

George Leon

RR17.2.1 Build 12: Bugs (Win10)

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 11:01 pm

Bugs (tested on Win10 Pro x64):

- big one: working in linear (1.0 gamma) timelines seems to break the render cache: uncached clips look correct, but the black level and shadow detail changes significantly when the clip is cached. this happens with all available render cache codecs, and looks like a bug with 1.0 gamma timelines. it seems like the below-video-levels shadow detail is clipped off incorrectly.

this means I can't use caching on my current project.

- on the same timeline, rendering a clip in-place also slightly changes its appearance. not as badly as above, but the colours still change (this might be a harmless colour management issue to do with rendered clip playback, but if so it is still undesireable as the whole point of rendering a clip with fx in-place is to see a correct final version).

- Edit clip render in-place to MP4 format (tested using Nvidia H265) produces MOV files?

- Clean Feed monitor window no longer automatically minimizes when you minimize the main window. this blocks everything on that monitor permanently (until Resolve is closed). it used to work prior to R17.

workaround: use ALT-Tab to bring a non-Resolve window hidden by the Clean Feed on top - but this only works when Resolve is _not_ minimized (otherwise the other window will not show).

- In Edit, dragging automation points on clips (in the non curve editor display) works with an incorrect X offset: dragging the point to the right works normally, but dragging left doesn't work unless you drag _two_ frames away, where it then moves the point only a _single_ frame. this is some kind of incorrect mouse X coordinate offset (tested with a Wacom graphics tablet).

However, when dragging the same points in the clip's curve editor it works correctly (so this only affects the non-curve view).

Graphics tablet issues:

- dragging the cursor to the timeline edges in the Edit page with the graphics tablet pen to scroll the timeline massively overshoots when the timeline zoom level is high, to the point of being totally unusable.

repro: zoom about half-way into the timeline. drag the cursor near the edge to auto scroll it a little. at this zoom level it works fairly well.

now zoom in all the way, and try again. result: massive uncontrollable overshoot, and then trying to correct it the other way, massive undershoot. unusable.

- clip edge/cut selection with my Wacom pen almost always moves the edge accidentally a frame or two. Graphics tablet pens are less accurate then mice when it comes to clicking precisely, they tend to wobble a pixel or two as you click. that makes clip edge selection v. annoying. a small 'dead zone' where the pen movement doesn't count during a click would avoid this.

GrizzlyAK

Re: RR17.2.1 Build 12: Bugs (Win10)

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 2:05 am

George Leon wrote:Bugs (tested on Win10 Pro x64):
- Clean Feed monitor window no longer automatically minimizes when you minimize the main window. this blocks everything on that monitor permanently (until Resolve is closed). it used to work prior to R17.

workaround: use ALT-Tab to bring a non-Resolve window hidden by the Clean Feed on top - but this only works when Resolve is _not_ minimized (otherwise the other window will not show).

I believe they have problems with some of the Window programming, as there is a similar problem with the viewer, when undocked, on the Fairlight page. In their Fairlight training docs, they have you undock the viewer and overlay the timeline while you work. Unfortunately, on Windows, whenever you interact (click) on the main DR interface anywhere, the viewer is covered up. This is also true if you put it on a second display and cover it with another active app. When you make DR active again, it does not bring the viewer on the second display back into view (which is SOP on Win). It is a Windows management thing that they apparently haven't worked out yet, relative to the Mac. I suspect what you are reporting is a related issue. Hopefully, they'll get this fixed. I've reported my particular issue with them and it was passed on to the engineering team. You may want to do the same, otherwise it may not get addressed.
Shane Taylor
Owner, Ion Drift Productions
www.iondriftproductions.com

Resolve Studio V17.4 Build 12 Activation Key
Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD
MOTU Ultralite MK3 Audio Interface

George Leon

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 3:53 pm

Thanks Shane, it does sound related (I'm actually a Windows programmer and familiar with these types of issues). Strange that it used to work in prior versions though.

So where's the best place to report bugs? email?

GrizzlyAK

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 4:45 pm

Yes. You could use their web form, but it’s a pain to fill out every time. I just use the following email and always get a response.

support-usa@blackmagicdesign.com

Cheers,
Shane
Shane Taylor
Owner, Ion Drift Productions
www.iondriftproductions.com

Resolve Studio V17.4 Build 12 Activation Key
Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage