Help! with Green Screen

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TimMorr01

Help! with Green Screen

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 8:22 am

I have applied Qualifier selection and added alpha channel with the results as per attached images. I am actually trying to get the reverse. The person in front with the background in the background as normal. What do I need to Do?
Attachments
Green Screen.jpg
Green Screen.jpg (665.17 KiB) Viewed 867 times
Green Screen Alpha.jpg
Green Screen Alpha.jpg (854.81 KiB) Viewed 867 times

ttakala

Re: HELP!!! with Green Screen

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 12:00 pm

You can invert the qualifier result with the button on the right of the Selection Range tools:
invert qualifier.jpg
invert qualifier.jpg (144.47 KiB) Viewed 611 times

You may also need a garbage matte to target the areas not covered by the green screen.

Also, before Jim gets here ;), many people seem to miss that Blackmagic offers a good range of tutorials and pdf-books on Resolve for free: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/training

And for my favorite tutorials, search for "Goats eye view" on Youtube. She covers this type of situation too, iirc.

TimMorr01

Re: HELP!!! with Green Screen

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 9:13 am

Thank you Timo, I have applied the reverse command and with a bit of tinkering have arrived at the current image. Getting there! When applying the Garbage Matte, can you do that post Green Screen processing or does it need to be applied before.
Thanks for your help.
Tim Morrow
Attachments
Green Screen Matte inverted.jpg
Green Screen Matte inverted.jpg (505.83 KiB) Viewed 587 times

TimMorr01

Re: Help! with Green Screen

PostFri Jul 02, 2021 2:52 am

Thank you for your help.
A long way to master keying, but enough to get me out of trouble.
Thanks

ttakala

Re: Help! with Green Screen

PostFri Jul 02, 2021 8:55 am

TimMorr01 wrote:Thank you Timo, I have applied the reverse command and with a bit of tinkering have arrived at the current image. Getting there! When applying the Garbage Matte, can you do that post Green Screen processing or does it need to be applied before.
Thanks for your help.
Tim Morrow

Sorry, I missed your newer posts. As you may have already figured out, you can combine different types of mattes even in one node and also between nodes. Read "Chapter 143 Combining Keys and Using Mattes" in the manual (help menu).

Return to DaVinci Resolve