Gray Nodes and No Preview

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nina

Gray Nodes and No Preview

PostTue Dec 03, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi All,

I am new at this, so please be patient with me.

I shot some footage on 5D mark 3. In premiere pro CS6, after laying a sequence timeline, I exported an XML sequence.

In resolve 9, I imported the xml sequence. I opened the tab colour and started to do basic level balancing. I am able to preview the first node. BUT, here in the node window, I can't seem to select the node. I can move it, but when i double click on it, left lick, middle click, the node does not appear highlighted. I can move the node and the lines, but it refuses to highlight(no yellow outline box).

I then tried adding a serial node to the first node. It appears as greyed out with a "recycle" logo on it. There is no preview. Again, I can't seem to select it. ( i can move it but can't select)

There must be sumthing that i overlook somewhere but i cant find this simple problem in the forum.

Tutorials don't seem to address this problem. I tried comparing screens with the online tutorials and i think my settings are the same.

System:
RAM: 64gig
Intel Core i7 - 4960x CPU 3.6Ghz
Card: GEFroce GTX770 (latest driver updated)

Can anyone help?

Nina

Elliott Balsley

Re: Gray Nodes and No Preview

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 9:50 am

I think that recycle symbol is what happens when you have a node not connected to anything. I see that you have it connected though, so I don't know what the problem is. Have you tried resetting the grade (shift-Home) or starting a new project?
Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
www.llamafilm.com

Radman

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 10:40 am

Try something simple first.
Copy the node and contents.
Delete the node.
Re-apply a new node then paste contents back.
Take a see!
Radman.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 12:11 pm

Hi guys, there is a parallel post on the Cow.. seems we are past this issue and there are more .. operational I think.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Nina

PostMon Dec 09, 2013 10:42 am

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately, the issue keeps getting stranger.

My timeline of problems for all to advise.

1) Installed version 9 which came up with the various problems. Tried turning the view-> window outline-> on/off top try to see the node. It didn't work. As you can see from my screengrab, everything seems correct.

2) You reccomended that I go with a higher version. I downloaded version 10.0.1. Things seems to work correctly. However later i discovered that some clips on the timeline were read by resolve as "offline".

May i add that,
-There was transition of dissolve, but other clips on the timeline has dissolve transitions too and resolve was able to read it properly.
- No speed changes on the clip
- It was a basic simple clip.

3) Today i downloaded version 10.0.2

I tried importing a brand new XML file with ONLY dissolve transitions into resolve.

Result: Resolve crashed repeatedly.
Rebooted, updated quicktime, updated premiere pro but nothing works.

Need your better advice.

Nina

Adam Janz

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 7:35 pm

I know this is an ancient post, but since it appears first in Google search, I'll post my findings. It seems that if you had two nodes connected via a layer mixer, then deleted the layer mixer and plugged one of the nodes directly into the Main Output, Davinci Resolve will glitch and the nodes will turn gray (and any adjustments to the nodes will have no effect). The only way to fix this is to add a layer mixer again and then the preview windows will re-appear. Granted, this behavior was observed in an older version of Davinci Resolve (12.5.6.017) on Windows 8.1, and this issue may have been fixed in newer versions.
Heaven Inspired Movies
https://heaveninspiredmovies.wixsite.com/ministry

Adam Janz 3D
https://adamjanz3d.wixsite.com/design

WDParks

PostTue Jun 29, 2021 4:57 am

I found this thread for this exact reason. I am on 17.2.1 and am having this issue as well, so it is still occurring in the latest release.

Adam Janz

PostTue Jun 29, 2021 11:42 pm

WDParks wrote:I found this thread for this exact reason. I am on 17.2.1 and am having this issue as well, so it is still occurring in the latest release.

That's interesting the bug is still occurring, thanks for sharing your findings, William. You may want to file a bug report on this issue with BM staff here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/contact/email
Heaven Inspired Movies
https://heaveninspiredmovies.wixsite.com/ministry

Adam Janz 3D
https://adamjanz3d.wixsite.com/design

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 30, 2021 6:38 am

Moved to Resolve forum

Can someone post a phone video that shows the repo steps?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

aTomician

PostFri Jan 12, 2024 3:56 pm

I've just had this happen to me, I'm new to Resolve so presumed it's a feature, is it actually a bug? Here are the steps to reproduce if so:

In the Color panel, click on a clip and add a corrector node (it can be attached or free floating).
Right click on it and select "Save as shared node"
Now double click on the node somewhere and then single click on the title.
For me, this will turn the node dark grey every time and it will stop working

When it's in this state, it is acting like it is disabled and any data simply passes through it without being affected. There's no obvious way to exit from this state. Have taken a screen video but not sure the best way to upload it on this site.

Return to DaVinci Resolve