Speed editor update for DaVinci Resolve 17.2.2

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rob578

Re: Speed editor update for DaVinci Resolve 17.2.2

PostTue Nov 02, 2021 1:24 pm

I'm unable to run the update for the speed editor. Window comes up with the update notice, select continue but update doesn't start. Also unable to run the Control Panels App, splash screen briefly displays and goes away. A check with task manager doesn't show it as a running program or process.
I'm not using bluetooth and the speed editor is connected via USB and seems to be working just fine. Same behavior after a restart.
V17.4.1
Thanks

Stan Willis

PostTue Nov 02, 2021 3:57 pm

@Rob578
I have a similar problem. I started a new topic earlier - perhaps I shouldn't of. I wouldn't have had to worry about spelling Build.......

Speed Editor Update each launch of DVR 17.4 Buiild 12

The speed editor works but I don't know whether it has been updated.
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6Gb
i7 CPU 920 2.67 GHz
16.0GB DDR3 @ 534MHz
Mobo SUS P6T SE (LGA1366)
SAMSUNG TV
Sys 465 SSD Cache 240 ssd
465GB Crucial (SATA (SSD))
931GB Crucial (SATA (SSD))
media intHD +USB3 HD
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Resolve 18.6.4 Build 6

Rob578

PostWed Nov 03, 2021 11:10 pm

@stan willis

I'm at 17.4.1 Build 4

Hard to believe we're the only two with this issue. I've stopped all background programs but no go.
It's behaves like there's another instance of the App running.

Maybe someone will mosey along that has seen this behavior before. Not a big deal as everything "seems" to be working for now.

Phil999

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 8:23 pm

Phil999 wrote:I pressed a couple of buttons and turned the wheel when Resolve started. Still it has not worked. Maybe I just had a bad day and tomorrow it will work again.

Unfortunately the Bluetooth connection is still not working anymore. It used to work fine, but I'm unable to establish this particular connection since months. Running Resolve 17.4.2 at the moment, Windows 10. The only thing that has improved is that in the Bluetooth settings, the device is described as paired. Of course I tried everything imaginable with unpairing, rebooting, all the routine that makes dumb devices work again. The former error was that in the Bluetooth settings the device switched between paired and unpaired. This has been resolved some time ago. But, unfortunately, in my case at least, did not change the connectivity problem.

It's not an issue, of course the Speed Editor works when connected with an USB cable, and that's what counts in the end. Such a great tool, makes work so much easier. Again many thanks to BMD for creating such an useful tool. Since its release I can't imagine working without it - it has become an integral part of my workflow.

It just would be nice to have a Bluetooth connection without occupying a USB port or even having to use a USB hub when there are no ports left. I might add that since months I have only one laptop for work, the connectivity may be different if I had another machine to test. So it's probably only an isolated issue that doesn't pose a problem for other users.

Reinstalling the operating system, testing with other machines, would certainly provide more information why the Speed Editor won't work with Resolve in my current situation.

Peter McLennan

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 6:04 pm

Is there a changelog for the recent Speed Editor update?
I tend towards the "If it ain't broke..." mentality.
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

Jeff Brass

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 4:07 am

so...a seems a lot of hassle...whats the benefit of updating?
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Rob578

PostWed Dec 22, 2021 6:39 pm

The App decided to start and update last week. No idea what was going on.

Phil999

PostMon Dec 27, 2021 3:30 pm

I'm happy to report that after unpairing the Speed Editor, and pairing again, the connectivity problem is solved now. The same machine, the same Operating System. The distance from the Speed Editor to the computer was a bit shorter this time. Maybe one has to reposition the Speed Editor before re-pairing? I don't know.

Now it connects via Bluetooth when Resolve starts. Glad it's working again.

mikedkelly

PostMon Dec 27, 2021 6:45 pm

I have found that the SE firmware since 17.2.2 causes my SE to freeze in Bluetooth mode once it has gone to sleep and reawakens. When I perform the firmware upgrade, it works fine in Bluetooth initially. I tried it once per day for several days and it continued to work. However, when I let it sit for several days and go to sleep, when I woke it up, it would say that it is connected in the Windows Bluetooth control panel, and the lights come on when I launch Resolve, but nothing on the panel works in Resolve. If I relaunch Resolve with the panel connected through USB, it works fine. No combination of removing the Bluetooth connection or resetting the panel will make it work once it has stopped. I have to reset Resolve back to 17.1 and reinstall the earlier version of the firmware on the panel. The firmware that comes with 17.1 works in Bluetooth without any problems.

-----------------------
Resolve Studio 18.5 Beta 3
CPU: Intel i9-13950HX
RAM: 32GB
GPU: RTX 4090 16GB
Driver: Nvidia Studio 531.61

Henry S

PostWed Dec 29, 2021 2:11 pm

I had similar problem with a USB connected Speed editor, one time it works the other it doesn't,
even a shut down of Resolve, and then I got a warning from Win defender : not allowed connection !
A shame I didn't made a screen shot.
Bud I made the adjustment and so far so good.
E.H.

Peter McLennan

PostThu Dec 30, 2021 6:00 pm

I'm fully updated, but continue to experience Speed Editor dropouts and failures. It will just inexplicably quit, even after working perfectly for an hour or so. I gave up and connected it with USB. Seems better now.
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

Sjoerd

PostFri Dec 31, 2021 3:03 pm

I am new here and just installeer a fresh Davinci Resolve 17.4.3 (DVR). And connected the speed editor.
On my iMac Pro with Big Sur it is connected in the Bluetooth Preference. After start DVR it didn't work. After connecting it with USB-C is was showing up and it was working in DVR. There was also a update which is installed. But when I Remove the USB-C Cable it did not work inside DVR, Removed from Bluetooth Preferences Reinstalled again. Restart the iMac Pro and it wa sin Bluetooth Preference. Started DVR and no control console (The battery 'Speed Editor" was not showing up) Conecting with USB-C and it was working.
I have also a new MacBook Pro M1 Max. And there it is working perfect.

So why is it not working on Bluetooth om my iMac Pro (Big Sur)
iMac Pro 64 GB Vega 64 1 TB Big Sur - MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 10/32 Core 2TB Montery

Peter McLennan

PostSat Jan 01, 2022 5:08 pm

Three days into my USB connected Speed Editor and all my previous troubles have vanished. Frustrating dropouts, stalls, outright failures have all been replaced with stable, reliable performance. I can even leave Resolve running overnight and the SE remains connected and functional immediately.

On my relatively robust and fairly new system, Bluetooth is just too flaky for this vital connection.

Uli Plank

PostMon Jan 03, 2022 1:33 am

Just like on some PCs, the BT of older Macs is not always good enough. Some folks had success using external BT sticks. BT on the new MacBooks seems to be quite robust. I got an ergonomic mouse here that often lost its connection with my old iMac, but never does with my current machine.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Victor11

PostMon Jan 03, 2022 8:56 pm

As a modest contribution, here attached are the only instructions that actually really work! At least they did here:

Re: Speed Editor: unable to connect by bluetooth
Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:31 am
In macOS Preferences > Bluetooth, when using the "Connect" contextual menu item does the Speed Editor connect successfully?
Does the device name change from "DaVinci Keyboard" to the device's Address (e.g. AA-00-BB-11-22-3C) when connecting?
Does a "Connection Request" window appear when connecting the Speed Editor?
Connection Request.png (33.64 KiB) Viewed 102 times

If the request is not appearing or the connection fails, reset macOS Bluetooth configuration.
Finder > Go menu > Go To Folder or Shift+Command+G: /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist
Delete that file and reboot.
Connect the Speed Editor via Bluetooth and pair. Does Resolve now see the Speed Editor in Preferences?

⟦ Resolve Studio 17.4.3 | OS X.15.7 + macOS 12.1 | Mac Pro Rack | 16-core 3.2GHz | 32GB RAM | Radeon 580X ⟧ ⟦ Fairlight Production Console (DAE/1C/2F) + Fairlight Audio Accelerator | Intensity Pro 4K | Desktop Video 12.1 ⟧

The above was submitted by Reynaud Venter on Wed. Dec 29, 2021 on a different forum that might have earlier helpful content. All best!
Victor Nunez
DR Studio 17.3, Mac OS 11.5.2, MacPro (2019) 3.3GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon W, 160 GB 2933 MHz DDR4, System 250 GB SSD, AMD Radeon Pro W 5700X 16GB, Cache 1TB SSD, Data 8TB TB OWC Accelsior SSD RAID, Speed Editor

kfriis

How to disable Speed Editor hardware?

PostTue Feb 08, 2022 8:36 pm

Some time ago, I activated the Bluetooth connection to Speed Editor.

Since I have stopped using Davinci Resolve Studio 17.4.3.

For some time, my Windows hardware list had a tendency to redraw itself, rather frequently, but no constant timing. It did not happen, when Remote Desktop Control was active. Only when direct control of the unit was in effect.

Today, I spotted the problem to Bluetooth. The Bluetooth connection "flickered" on/off, and the hardware list seemed to follow this flickering. Hmmm....

I took a veeery long time, before I discovered, that it was the Speed Editor, that was responsible.

After removing the pairing in Bluetooth AND removing the Davinci Keyboard driver from "Devices and Printers" (or whatever it is called in english), stability returned to my system again.

Then the new problem turned up. The keyboard continues to transmit, and is visible on the Bluetooth list of possible devices to connect to. In effect working as a kind of "jamming" device (as in old days in Europe where Soviet on and off employed radio jammers to prevent western news).

Now, I still have an active "Aussie Bluetooth jammer" in my home, and I'm interested in disabling the "transmitter" immediately - as in "yesterday" ;-)

How do I do that?

There's no on-off button on the critter (who designs things like that these days, where our frequency bands are jammed into all nooks and crannies with active devices in actual use); the need for extra and unwanted "jammers" constantly screaming "I'm here!!!" in the Bluetooth frequency band is negligible.

So... is there a keyboard sequence, that disables the critters cries for interaction? Or is the old and trusted 220 Volt AC injected into the USB-C connector the only working "OFF-switch" (although permanent)? Maybe the Li-Ion will have some deeply felt urge for flaming the environment as a result :-)

Uli Plank

PostTue Feb 08, 2022 10:13 pm

Move it behind a wall or two.

kfriis

PostTue Feb 08, 2022 10:41 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Move it behind a wall or two.

Tried that. Didn’t work sufficiently reliable. The critter is extremely noisy in the “Bluetooth band”, it seems ;-)

Current solution: Placed in a “sealed” aluminium box. This Blocks all signals. But, really, this is a first, and I’ve used maybe up to a hundred different Bluetooth devices since it became available, and never ever experienced side effects - never even expected a “system jammer” as strong, as exhibited by the Speed Editor.

The real problem is, that the speed editor actually is capable of disturbing normal Bluetooth functionality, when paired and automatically connected (the problem with “spluttering” Bluetooth handling exists, whether DaVinci Resolve Studio is installed or - now - deinstalled), when Windows Remote Desktop is NOT active.

The Speed Editor is actually the source of significant Bluetooth instability in Windows 21H2, forcing the system to “rescan” devices at frequent intervals (Bluetooth visibly “blinks” on/off in the right pane, where you can activate Bluetooth, WiFi etc. at will).

As soon as the device is “unpaired” (removed) and the driver for the DaVinci Keyboard also deleted from “Devices and Printers”, the “flickering” vanishes, but the device still retries connecting to all devices in the vicinity and constantly (I have three active computers at my desk), but luckily without success.

This extremely aggressive behavior may affect Bluetooth functionality/reliability in general, where some machines are affected more than others.

It took me a looong time to pinpoint the culprit. I never suspected a device, I barely had used, to have this dramatically detrimental effect on Bluetooth functionality on a modern computer.

A simple on-off switch, would do wonders here. Don’t you think. You know: Sound engineering - or the use of batteries, that can be removed ;-)

Regards

Jeff Brass

PostWed Feb 09, 2022 1:36 am

Uli Plank wrote:Just like on some PCs, the BT of older Macs is not always good enough. Some folks had success using external BT sticks. BT on the new MacBooks seems to be quite robust. I got an ergonomic mouse here that often lost its connection with my old iMac, but never does with my current machine.

I run speed editors on 2 different PC's. A cheap bluetooth dongle made the world of difference for connection. even better that my keyboard has a usb port in it - connected the BT dongle to that and it's a rock solid connection.
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

SkierEvans

PostWed Feb 09, 2022 2:41 am

I too got a Bluetooth dongle at first and it worked fine until I eventually found the antenna extension for my motherboard. I have the antenna on the end of the desk now and it works great. The editor is in a room with three other PC's all PC's with wireless keyboards and mic with no interference. Speed Editor has worked well with the last update.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

Uli Plank

PostWed Feb 09, 2022 3:54 am

Same here with my new laptop, the iMac had some connection problems, but with mice too.
No interference either, we have 3 machines around.
I’d assume a faulty unit.

kfriis

How to disable Speed Editor hardware?

PostWed Feb 09, 2022 8:53 am

Now the Speed Editor is disabled for good. Besides the two screws in the center of the "thingy", there are four screws hidden under the rubber feet. Remove all six, and gently pry open the case from the side opposite the USB-C connector.

It's powered all right. My gimbal for my "real camera" has one rechargeable (and removable) battery of exactly the same type and capacity, and it will last more than a day, with more or less permanent use. It's quite some power in a keyboard:

IMG_9828.jpg
Bazooka used as peashooter?
IMG_9828.jpg (192.11 KiB) Viewed 8500 times

3.7V, 2600 mAh, and a total capacity of 9.6 Wh is really something. This will last the "jammer" a small eternity, obviously giving it enough "umphhh" to connect long range to anything in Alice Springs - maybe even Darwin - while using the keyboard in Sydney around Circular Quay. CBD in the way? Not to worry. This keyboard will blast through. Or at least try ;-)

Regards

P.S. The Germans have a term called "Funkstille", meaning "no transmissions" (or in less polite circles "no brain activity"), but that's the state of my Speed Editor Keyboard now. Narrrjss!

Uli Plank

PostWed Feb 09, 2022 10:19 am

Thanks for posting. Yeah, that’s pretty much a standard item for many devices from the East.
I can confirm that it lasts really long in the SE.

jcaragay

PostSat Feb 19, 2022 5:55 am

I just upgraded to Studio 17.4.4 two days ago and was fully expecting to lose Bluetooth connectivity. Happy to report that upon startup, the SE connected via Bluetooth flawlessly.
M1 Mac Mini 8GB/256
MacOSX Big Sur
"still learning"

jamedia

PostSun Feb 20, 2022 1:45 pm

jcaragay wrote:I just upgraded to Studio 17.4.4 two days ago and was fully expecting to lose Bluetooth connectivity. Happy to report that upon startup, the SE connected via Bluetooth flawlessly.

I also upgraded to 17.4.4 and was hoping for defect fixes for the Speed Editor but sadly there are none.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve