17.2.2: render cached clips mostly lost across app restarts

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

George Leon

17.2.2: render cached clips mostly lost across app restarts

PostThu Jul 15, 2021 11:15 am

Need some help with this one - Resolve 17.2.2 Build 4, Win10 Pro x64, Ryzen 3950x (16C/32T), 64GB, RTX 3080.

I didn't use the render cache until recently. but now heavily rely on it due to complex grades (like 1fps renders) - but on every app restart, about 70-80% of my cached clips are lost and need to be re-cached.

All source footage is on an internal hard disk. The cache lives on a dedicated internal SSD. I cache the entire timeline, save project, restart the app = 70-80% of the clips are no longer cached.

I can't find any reason or pattern for this, but it happens every time. I've tried deleting the entire cache inside Resolve, as well as the entire CacheClip folder on my SSD, no change. The cache SSD has hundreds of GB left.

What can cause this?

Jim Simon

Re: 17.2.2: rendercached clips mostly lost across app restar

PostThu Jul 15, 2021 2:38 pm

The Cache drive is first on the list under Preferences>System>Media Storage?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

George Leon

PostSat Jul 17, 2021 12:21 am

Yes it is. Here the timeline is fully cached:

cache_before.jpg
cache_before.jpg (135.02 KiB) Viewed 726 times

CTRL-S, and exit Resolve.

Restart Resolve, a lot of clips no longer cached (though it's been worse in the past):

cache_after.jpg
cache_after.jpg (122.27 KiB) Viewed 726 times

Jim Simon

PostSat Jul 17, 2021 2:47 pm

OK.

That's not normal. I've seen the occasional report on this, but...I don't know what else to suggest here. It may be a bug in Resolve.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

George Leon

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 12:41 pm

Jim Simon wrote:OK.

That's not normal. I've seen the occasional report on this, but...I don't know what else to suggest here. It may be a bug in Resolve.

I wonder if my project is corrupt. It was started in 2019, were we on R15 then? And I was running many beta versions since then.

I have found some definite bugs with some clips. I work with stereoscopic 3D, and found that the 'Floating Window' was enabled on some clips (causing an edge to be cropped off), and could not be fixed via its UI - only resetting the grade (and then re-applying it without Floating Window) fixed it.

So I'm wondering if there are other bugs in the project, perhaps when it was saved from older/bugged/beta versions, which are causing this?

Jim Simon

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 1:16 pm

I wouldn't suspect that myself as I do the same (excepting the 3D part). And I don't recall seeing anyone report difficulties finishing such projects. It seems to be more of an annoyance than anything.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Tasio Liberakis

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 3:48 pm

I have reported this behavior repeatedly, in my case it seems to happen on timelines in older projects and persists even if I copy paste the timelines into a new project.
W10 pro 22H2|X399 Taichi|TR4 1920x|64GB Hyper X@2133|
3060 12GB/Nvidia 531.41
Nvme system&scratch disks

Bruceqld

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 12:29 am

This is a consistent behaviour. Not a show stopper, but the render cache has been in need of attention for some time. :cry:
Davinci Resolve 18.5.1, Intel i9, 64gb RAM, Windows 11, Nvidia 3090 24gb, RME Fireface UFX, Speed Editor.

George Leon

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 11:36 am

Bruceqld wrote:This is a consistent behaviour. Not a show stopper, but the render cache has been in need of attention for some time. :cry:

Hmm. I think it's time for a critical bug fix period, before adding ever more features. these are the basics that need to work, or they're pointless to have at all.

Rohit Singhal

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 1:49 am

Hi George - is this issue specific to a project for you? Can you share such a project with us? Also the captured logs after you reopen Resolve and see render cache disappeared.
Rohit Singhal
DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

George Leon

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 1:16 pm

Rohit Singhal wrote:Hi George - is this issue specific to a project for you? Can you share such a project with us? Also the captured logs after you reopen Resolve and see render cache disappeared.

Hi Rohit, I've only started using using the render cache recently with my current project, but this project was started on (I believe) R15, so I'm sure it's been corrupted along the way. It behaves in other strange ways, including frequently massively overflowing virtual memory (170GB+) when the User cache is enabled.

I'll send you a DM with it & the logs later today or tomorrow. I'll build the entire cache, copy the logs, and then restart the app and include those logs too.

BTW I'm collecting and reporting a growing list of bugs. I've reported most to support-usa@blackmagicdesign.com recently, but if there's a more direct contact to your devs that would be awesome (I work with stereo 3D and found lots of issues there too). I'm a programmer and long time beta tester for various people.

I also wonder if my issues are specific to stereo 3D clips (although some cache fine).

Return to DaVinci Resolve