How to line up clips from the same source on the timeline?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

InfiniteLove

How to line up clips from the same source on the timeline?

PostSat Jul 17, 2021 10:24 am

I'm finding that the positions of clips on the timeline are changing when I don't want them to. It's as if someone's going to random clips and holding the "SLIP DESTINATION" button on my keyboard while scrolling the jog wheel — so the specific section of the clip (what I want shown) is off. Anyone have any common "gotchas" or tips as to why this might be happening to me unknowingly? I'm simply editing clips one at a time along the timeline in chronological order and I never do ripple deletes or any actions that I'm aware of that change past clips I've already worked on. And yet, here I am, editing clips I've already painstakingly edited...

Given that this keeps happening, I'm wondering what the best way is to line up two clips from the same source file that I had cut in separate clips. I generally do this when I need to add fusion animation or something and I only need to add it to a very specific section of a long clip, so I use the blade tool to isolate just the section of the section I need, turn that into a fusion clip and add the animation. This works fine at first, however, like I said I'm finding that sometimes the clip doesn't sync with the following clip after I've done some further edits down the timeline... Again, I'm not willingly/knowingly changing any clip durations or adjusting clip positions (in fact, that's all done now — I'm only adding text and some tracking effects at this point). So... in the event the two clips which I cut get de-synced somehow (they should have seamless video and audio as the timeline moves from one to the next), how do I "re-sync" them?

Running DaVinci Resolve Studio v17.4.5 build 7 (Windows/MSVC x86_64)
Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ 3.6GHz
32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz
RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB

InfiniteLove

Re: How to line up clips from the same source on the timelin

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 7:12 pm

My solution to this so far is to simply zoom in as far as possible on the timeline and then with the adjacent clips on different tracks, line up the waveforms. This works, but I'm wondering if there is some automatic method?
Windows 10 Pro x64
32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz
RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 2:29 pm

I'm not aware of any way for this to happen on it's own. My best guess is that while you may not be doing it knowingly, you are doing it. The only solution I have to that is slow down and pay very careful attention to every edit, trying to find the move that causes it.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

InfiniteLove

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 6:20 am

Yeah, I'll give that a shot the next time through. Thanks :D
Windows 10 Pro x64
32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz
RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB

Jason Conrad

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 4:23 pm

Is it always the Fusion clips that are slipping? Could it be something happening in Fusion to alter the timing of the Media In nodes?
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

InfiniteLove

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 1:14 am

Jason Conrad wrote:Is it always the Fusion clips that are slipping? Could it be something happening in Fusion to alter the timing of the Media In nodes?

It's all the clips. Today I experienced a possibly related issue with the timeline appending strangely (it's possible this caused my issue before but it's hard to say for sure). I posted about it in this thread.
Windows 10 Pro x64
32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz
RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve