Cache Location

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rossjackson01

Cache Location

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 10:18 pm

Hello.

Information needed about cache location.

I'm new to Resolve, but really enjoying the learning.

I have a C drive, E drive external and F drive external.

Everything seems to be working well. However for some reason, due to my lack of experience I have realised that the cache is on my E drive.

The directory is

E:\Resolve Scratch\Gym Candy Cache\CacheClip with all the relevant folders.

Should I leave it as it is, or do I need to reinstall to try to make the cache on the C drive

or is there another option.

Regards

Ross
DELL i5 4th QUAD DESKTOP TOWER PC & 22' TFT COMPUTER SET 16GB WINDOWS 10 1TB HDD

Reynaud Venter

Re: Cache Location

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 6:38 am

Ideally the cache location would be placed on the fastest internal storage volume, but if the system has no perceptible performance issues then the current configuration need not necessarily change.

rossjackson01

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 11:11 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:Ideally the cache location would be placed on the fastest internal storage volume, but if the system has no perceptible performance issues then the current configuration need not necessarily change.

Thank you for your prompt reply

I agree the cache should be on the C drive. However I am at a loss how to do so. Can I copy the folder on the E drive and place it onto the C drive. If I then allocate the cache in the Davinci Resolve preference folder section to C, would that be ok? I don't want to try it on my own and create a problem.

Hope you can help

Regards

Ross
DELL i5 4th QUAD DESKTOP TOWER PC & 22' TFT COMPUTER SET 16GB WINDOWS 10 1TB HDD

ReneRotterdam

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 11:33 am

Never tried to copy the cache files.
But most caching is done on the fly, so unless you have lots of complicated effects, just allocating your c drive would be okay, and probably faster, 'cause you won't copy unused cache files.

hope it helps
Rene A. Hazekamp

HP Z840 // 2x E2680v4 // RTX 4070 // Studio 18.5.1
Macbook air M1

Reynaud Venter

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 12:05 pm

rossjackson01 wrote:If I then allocate the cache in the Davinci Resolve preference folder section to C, would that be ok?
Since the Working Folders preference is Project specific, optionally create a Project Preset for the Cache files location preference to apply to all new Projects.

Return to DaVinci Resolve