Why are my primary wheels little dots not circles?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

matthoefler

Why are my primary wheels little dots not circles?

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 5:31 pm

Every tutorial I see on resolve shows the primary wheels with circles in the center that make the position of them easy to discern. I have teeny tiny dots where even the slightest movements of them make HUGE changes although the tiny dots appear to have barely moved.

What is this ? Is it a version difference? A setting? I can't find an answer by googling "Resolve primary wheels are tiny dots not circles" so I'm hoping someone here knows the answer.

Jim Simon

Re: Why are my primary wheels little dots not circles?

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 8:28 pm

This help?

Primary Wheels.png
Primary Wheels.png (58.96 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 8:58 pm

Do remember that the color page is really intended to be used with a dedicated control surface. So a mouse is a bit crude. The Wheels display is however much better in Resolve 17.2.2. If you cannot see this try resetting the UI to be found in the Workspace dropdown menu.
Attachments
Primaries.jpg
Primary Wheels display in 17.2.2
Primaries.jpg (64.39 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

matthoefler

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 11:21 pm

Jim Simon wrote:This help?

The attachment Primary Wheels.png is no longer available

Charles Bennett wrote:Do remember that the color page is really intended to be used with a dedicated control surface. So a mouse is a bit crude. The Wheels display is however much better in Resolve 17.2.2. If you cannot see this try resetting the UI to be found in the Workspace dropdown menu.

I swear, people love to post on forums and not read the post they are responding to.
Let me spell this out again, as I do with almost every post I make on here;

HOW do I get the circles as opposed to the little tiny dots? THAT is the question.
Here's a visual aid for you autists... I'm asking how do I get that instead of the tiny dots, or is it impossible due the a change between versions. Keep in mind if you DON'T know, you don't have to post a response ... reading a forum post doesn't require you to comment just because you opened the page; not knowing the answer and posting is literally wasting someone's time and makes you look stupid... stop doing it.

Thanks!
Attachments
1a01157159836040d1e8bee70253af31.jpg
1a01157159836040d1e8bee70253af31.jpg (34.39 KiB) Viewed 1535 times

roger.magnusson

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 11:45 pm

Those are the old style of color wheels, that screenshot is likely from Resolve v16.

I don't think the absolute position on the wheel is terribly important. It's not like you would match two clips by judging the placement on the color wheel, you judge by the image and scopes.
Last edited by roger.magnusson on Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matthoefler

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 11:47 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Those are the old style of color wheels, that screenshot is likely from Resolve v16.

Thank you! That's the answer I was looking for...

Resolve really should change them back... the tiny dots are a major downgrade

Charles Bennett

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 12:00 am

I don't recall the small circles, and as you can see in my pic I have large centre dots. You did not state which version of Resolve you were using either.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Tony Martin

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 12:07 am

“Here's a visual aid for you autists... “

That is a disgraceful, ignorant comment.

I have two autistic grandchildren who are delightful, talented and intelligent. That they also have an autistic disorder is not an excuse for you to denigrate and insult them or others like them.

I am surprised that any Forum moderator would tolerate such dreadful sentiments.

Whatever the rest of Forum members may feel, I am deeply distressed by that remark.

In my opinion, it would be wholly appropriate if the OP withdrew that slur and showed more tolerance for the diversity of human nature.

Peter Cave

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 12:33 am

Tony Martin wrote:“Here's a visual aid for you autists... “

I have two autistic grandchildren who are delightful, talented and intelligent. That they also have an autistic disorder is not an excuse for you to denigrate and insult them or others like them.

I am surprised that any Forum moderator would tolerate such dreadful sentiments.

Whatever the rest of Forum members may feel, I am deeply distressed by that remark.

In my opinion, it would be wholly appropriate if the OP withdrew that slur and showed more tolerance for the diversity of human nature.

Totally agree.

Also the OP did not show any image of the problem and did not detail ANY info about his computer or software.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

matthoefler

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 7:44 am

How is it a slur? You use the same word in your post dip ****. It's not a slur, people who post here simply tend to be slow on the up take, much like yourself. Trying to censor that fact doesn't change that FACT

matthoefler

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 7:52 am

Peter Cave wrote:

Totally agree.

Also the OP did not show any image of the problem and did not detail ANY info about his computer or software.

This is why I'm asking for the sake of everyone on this entire forum for people who don't know the answer to NOT post.

If you don't understand the WORDS "little tiny dots" versus "Circles," you literally are not going to know the answer. It's only when people who feel compelled to post non-answers fill forums with their idiocy that people like, have to painstakingly re-state the original question and provide a picture book for the users of this post who are on a third grade level.

People who know the answer, KNOW THE ANSWER. Far, far, FAR too many people who don't post things like " I can't replicate that."

Just because you read posts on here and have opened Resolve in the past week doesn't mean you need to automatically post comments, keep your inane commentary that is no where near an answer to yourself.

Sander de Regt

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 8:48 am

I totally agree that calling people autists on the forum, just because you don't like their answer is uncalled for. As is this response

people who post here simply tend to be slow on the up take,
which is both insulting for people who are trying to help you *and* autistic people. Lots of autistic people are incredibly smart and quickminded. That your only autistic reference appears to be Rain Man doesn't change that fact.

And - to be even more of an autistic mansplainer - technically a dot and a circle are the same thing, just on a different scale. A dot can be seen as a non-filled tiny circle, and a circle is just a large dot.

Yes, there might be a couple of annoying, pedantic people on here, but even those are - in their own way - trying to be helpful. By calling them names and digging your heels in even further when that's pointed out to you, you're not one of the helpful ones.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 1:42 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Those are the old style of color wheels, that screenshot is likely from Resolve v16.
This is exactly what the images Charles and I posted "said".

Sorry you couldn't figure that out on your own, Matt.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 1:45 pm

matthoefler wrote:How is it a slur?
You used the work to denigrate the intelligence of others.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

xunile

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 2:29 pm

I noticed I had the "dots" and not the circles so since I am currently on 17, I checked Youtube to see if the change was made between 16 and 17, and in 60 seconds had the answer. I was going to reply to his post even though he couldn't be bothered to post a screenshot of his issue, but after reading his insulting comments I decided since he is so mentally gifted he must be able to work it out on his own. It amazes me how some people think they are entitled to quick and correct answers immediatley like this is a chat room and not a free message board.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

matthoefler

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 7:53 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:I totally agree that calling people autists on the forum, just because you don't like their answer is uncalled for. As is this response

people who post here simply tend to be slow on the up take,
which is both insulting for people who are trying to help you *and* autistic people. Lots of autistic people are incredibly smart and quickminded. That your only autistic reference appears to be Rain Man doesn't change that fact.

And - to be even more of an autistic mansplainer - technically a dot and a circle are the same thing, just on a different scale. A dot can be seen as a non-filled tiny circle, and a circle is just a large dot.

Yes, there might be a couple of annoying, pedantic people on here, but even those are - in their own way - trying to be helpful. By calling them names and digging your heels in even further when that's pointed out to you, you're not one of the helpful ones.

Brain dead... first of all a dot is not the same thing as a circle. Second of all, before defending the people who responded to my post look at WHAT they actually posted... the posted ****ing images of the primary wheels and nothing else but the subsequent questions, "does this help?" THE STUPIDEST RESPONSE IMAGINABLE. I guess I would have been better off with actual autists posting answers here since, according to you people, they are just brilliant.

Tony Martin

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 10:42 pm

My autistic grandchildren were debating that very topic just recently - nothing too stupid about them. Nor do they have anger management issues. Very polite kids.
Attachments
027F65E6-BCCF-465C-BE30-88579AB8CA12.jpeg
027F65E6-BCCF-465C-BE30-88579AB8CA12.jpeg (507.57 KiB) Viewed 1233 times

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 11:27 pm

matthoefler wrote:Every tutorial I see on resolve shows the primary wheels with circles in the center that make the position of them easy to discern. I have teeny tiny dots where even the slightest movements of them make HUGE changes although the tiny dots appear to have barely moved.

What resolution is your GUI display? At some resolutions, the on-screen controls (particularly on the Color page) get very small. At worst, go to Workspace -> Reset GUI, and see if that makes anything different.

My opinion (not Blackmagic's) is you need at least a 1920x1080 screen in order to get useful information out of the GUI. I've been using 2560x1440 for a long time, and that's even better: the GUI expands to take advantage of that space and you get a little bit more information on Soft Clips and some other functions.

I think it's fine to use the Color Wheels when you're learning Resolve or just doing very casual work. For anything even halfway serious, you're going to need a control surface. Even an inexpensive controller like the Tangent Ripple (about $350) will give you useful trackballs and controls that work a lot better than a mouse. The key is having the ability to adjust two knobs at the same time, which is a huge time-saver.

When using a control surface, you'll see the value of the "Bars" display, which shows a more-precise indication of the relative balance of YRGB for lift/gamma/gain, and this is incredibly useful. It really helps when you have a whacked-out situation where the image has a problem and is crushed or clipped in one or more nodes, and you need to backtrack and figure out how to make the picture look normal. The wheels won't do that (not easily, anyway), but the Bars will. This war between "Color Wheels" and "Bars" mode has gone on for a long time, at least back to 1998 with the daVinci 2K (an early hardware ancestor of Resolve).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve