Change Speed Dialogue Box Not Showing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JayNine

Change Speed Dialogue Box Not Showing

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 6:44 pm

Hello:

I am new to Resolve. I am using version 17.2.2 Build 4 on Windows 10 Professional.

I am trying to change the speed on a clip and all the instructions I have found refer to a dialogue box that should pop up when right-clicking the clip and choosing "Change Speed" or selecting "Clip, Change Clip Speed." I am not seeing a dialogue box appear. I do notice that instead some the "Tools" button becomes activated and I see options in the viewer for "Transform, Crop, Dynamic Zoom, etc.," but no dialogue box.

I did find some instructions online to "change high DPI-settings" for changing the program properties and I tried that to see if it would work, but I still don't see any dialogue box popping up. Not sure why.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Last edited by JayNine on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Simon

Re: Change Speed Dialogue Box Not Showing

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 8:25 pm

You're working on the Edit page?

You have Display Scaling set to 100%?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 8:47 pm

If the clip is in the timeline select it and open the inspector, or press R on your keyboard..
Speed Change Timeline Clip.jpg
Speed Change Timeline Clip.jpg (155.8 KiB) Viewed 2451 times

For a clip in the Media Pool left click on it to highlight it and press R on your keyboard.
Speed Change Clip in Media Pool.jpg
Speed Change Clip in Media Pool.jpg (256.65 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

JayNine

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 9:25 pm

Thank you both for the reply!

I was working in the Cut page, Jim. I do now notice while on the Cut page when I right-click the clip the three ellipses after "Change Speed" don't appear whereas they do when right-clicking the clip on the Edit page.

I guess then the dialogue box does not show when right-clicking a clip while on the Cut page and I need to switch to the Edit page for it to show. If so, that is good to know and answers my question!

Thank you both again!

Jim Simon

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 2:50 pm

Cut page does Speed changes differently. If memory serves, this is covered in the Beginner's Guide. That should be your first action if you decide to move forward with Resolve.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ning#books
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

JayNine

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 3:13 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Cut page does Speed changes differently. If memory serves, this is covered in the Beginner's Guide. That should be your first action if you decide to move forward with Resolve.

Thank you, Jim.

I did download the guide and files and I'm working through it. I didn't see in the guide that this particular dialogue box isn't available when right-clicking on the Cut page, but maybe I missed it. I was using other sources for information as well (YouTube) which kept referring to the dialogue box, so it was confusing. These little things can drive you nuts when you are first learning a program.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 1:50 am

In the cut page, the change speed selection opens the quick adjustment controls under the viewer
you can also manually open these with the button, under the viewer, left hand side, second along from the left.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jim Simon

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 4:01 pm

JayNine wrote:These little things can drive you nuts when you are first learning a program.
Agreed. I had similar difficulties when I switched from Premiere Pro.

I found the best approach was to set all my projects aside for a bit and sort of "forget" what I knew about editing and go through the training books, leaning how Resolve did things, as if I were new to editing.

Then I could pick my projects back up with more confidence (and success) in what I was doing. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve