Export YouTube HDR using DaVinci YRGB Color Managed and HEVC

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rodrigopolo

Export YouTube HDR using DaVinci YRGB Color Managed and HEVC

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 11:28 am

Hi, I have a project on DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.2.2 using “DaVinci YRGB Color Managed” as Color science and “DaVinci Wide Gamut” as Resolve color management preset; the project contains RAW and 10-bit LOG footage.

I want to export this project into a format that is compatible with YouTube HDR requirements using HEVC/H.265 encoder, YouTube HDR requiremensts are as follows:

[*]Resolution: From 720p to 2160p 16:9 and NOT DCI
[*]Framerate: From 23.976 to 60fps
[*]Color depth: 10 and 12bits
[*]Color primaries: Rec.2020
[*]Color matrix: Rec. 2020 non-constant luminance
[*]EOTF: PQ or HLG (Rec. 2100)
[*]Codecs: AVC/H.264, ProRes, DNxHR, all 10bit, all at least with a chroma subsampling of 4:2:2 (Note: YouTube supports HEVC/H.265 uploads but it isn’t documented.)

I watched some tutorials to export to YouTube HDR format, but are too old, I also watched tutorials that shows the advantage of using a DaVinci YRGB Color Managed project with DaVinci Wide Gamut, I guess this is the main purpose, to make it easy to export the project into any other format, in my case, using MP4 encapsulation, 10bits HEVC/H.265 codec, REC.2020/Rec.2100 primaries/matrix, etc. But I’m unable to make it compatible with YouTube.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

P.D.: I'm not allowed to post URLs, so here are the YouTube requirements with spaces:
https :// support. google. com /youtube/answer/7126552?hl=en#zippy=%2Cupload-requirements

Jim Simon

Re: Export YouTube HDR using DaVinci YRGB Color Managed and

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 3:54 pm

1. Make sure HDR Mastering and HDR 10+ are enabled in Color Management.

2. Make sure your Output Color Space has ST2084 somewhere in the name.

3. Try this, adjusting Resolution, Frame rate and Key Frames accordingly.

HDR Export.png
HDR Export.png (43.98 KiB) Viewed 343 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

2D3D4K

Re: Export YouTube HDR using DaVinci YRGB Color Managed and

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 6:22 pm

I would suggest using the YouTube tab on top left of the Deliver page. Set your parameters in there. It works.

Expect it to take a least a couple of days for YouTube to process it to where it's viewable as HDR.

Return to DaVinci Resolve