restore color old video PAL

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

capitansolo

restore color old video PAL

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 11:30 pm

Hello!

Im trying to recover and correct color from old video.

I upload a photo where you can see on the left, the original video and, on the right, the whites and black repaired but i couldnt repair some dust/dirty (dont know how to say in english, sorry) color that appear on the border of the jacket.

If i use the qualifiers, colors from the face are included so is not an option, and trying to do mask with tracker, doesnt work for me as i tried.

Do you know any tecnic for this problem?

Regards!
Attachments
black.jpg
black.jpg (98.12 KiB) Viewed 698 times

juanborras

Re: restore color old video PAL

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 6:20 am

For what I'm seeing in the pic, those could be chromatic aberrations due the characteristic of the lens used. Or could be a lack of resolution. A pal video (720 x 576 pixels) inside your timeline that defaults to full hd (1920 x 1080 pixels).

Por lo que veo en la foto podría tratarse de aberraciones cromáticas producidas por las características físicas de la óptica usada o bien podría deberse a la diferencia de resolución entre pal (720x576 pixeles) y la resolución de una timeline de DaVinci por defecto (1920 x 1080)

capitansolo

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 11:30 am

Gracias por tu respuesta Juan.
El timeline con el que trabajo tiene las caracteristicas PAL, el problema, es lo que tu dices, aberracion cromatica y que estoy tratando de arreglar.

¿Tu no sabrias como hacerlo?
Un saludo.

Thanks for your reply Juan.
Im working with a timeline with PAL specifications, and the problem, as you know, are the chromatic aberration that im trying to resolve.
Do you know how to fix that?
Regards!

Sander de Regt

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 11:50 am

It's most likely the sharpening of the CCD that's causing this. That's why it's more pronounced next to high-contrast areas. It's very difficult to fix this kind of errors, because it's built in into the footage.
(you can see this also in High-def video cameras on bluescreens for example, there will be dark edges 'inserted' between the blue and the subject because of the way the camera records the image)
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Adelson Munhoz

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 12:10 pm

I would suggest to use the Fusion page in order to correct just the edges of the footage.

Use the Filter node in the mode "Sobel". It will generate an image of the edges of the picture.

With this selection you can perform a variety of adjustments on the edges:

- blur
- blur only the colors, leaving the luminance intact
- dessaturate
- hue curves, in order to narrow the color palette of the edges
- noise/grain reduction

You can use the Erode/Dilate node just after the Filter Node to contract / expand the edges selection.

If you need more help on this, please let me know

capitansolo

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 10:50 pm

Adelson...tried your tecnic but the result wasnt good..
First, when using fusion, my color correction made, dissapear and finally, all desaturate applied to whole video, not only edges..
Im sure that all this problem are on my side because im a beginner with DR. I followed this tutorial from yt for using filter node and sobel..
Code: Select all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1RHh1wBy78

What im doing bad?

Regards!

Return to DaVinci Resolve