Color flickering problem after color boost and contrast

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TheRealNickJames

Color flickering problem after color boost and contrast

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 1:41 am

When color grading in v. 17.2.1 (and in 17.2.2) I get a glitchy color flicker when I increase the color boost and contrast. The problem does not occur when I change either parameter on it's own.

I have tried on multiple clips, all 4k shot on a DJI Mavic Pro 2, with optimized and proxy media. I also encountered the same issue on another computer with a different cpu and graphics card.

I have seen a couple other posts here and on reddit that are similar, maybe the same, but they are either unsolved or the fix didn't work for me.

Can't figure out how to imbed video in this post.

Thanks!
Nick

Jim Simon

Re: Color flickering problem after color boost and contrast

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 3:31 pm

I've never worked with Mavic clips. Can you create a small, one clip project that shows the issue and share the .dra file?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

TheRealNickJames

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 8:04 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I've never worked with Mavic clips. Can you create a small, one clip project that shows the issue and share the .dra file?

I didn't do that, but you inspired me to try it with a non Mavic clip. Different clip, different resolution and fps, same result. It seems to be a legit bug that occurs regardless of clip attributes and system/graphics card.

Jim Simon

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 3:10 pm

OK.

Can you share some Steps to Reproduce? (Include exact settings for effects.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 11:00 pm

TheRealNickJames wrote:When color grading in v. 17.2.1 (and in 17.2.2) I get a glitchy color flicker when I increase the color boost and contrast. The problem does not occur when I change either parameter on it's own.

Which hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, disk I/O speed)? What OS? What source material? What timeline resolution? What framerate? How does your drive rate with Blackmagic Speed Test? Which GPU drivers are installed?

I haven't seen this specific problem, but I know that unexpected results happen with underpowered computers and insufficient VRAM and taxing file formats (like H.264).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

TheRealNickJames

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 11:15 pm

When I move the color boost up OR down it's fine, but as soon as I move the contrast up OR down, the flickering starts. The same thing happens if I start by moving the contrast and then move the color boost. As soon as they are used in combination, no matter the value changed, the flickering starts and the distortion of the image can be seen in the still image and then flickers when I press play.

This happens on any clip I change regardless of the project size.

TheRealNickJames

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 11:57 pm

HP Envy x360
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.79 GB usable)
Device ID 31F5D967-6668-4797-BA40-118A24A5A674
Product ID 00325-96584-82031-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
OS build 19042.1110

Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)

Not sure what to show from the speed test but all boxes are checked under the :will it work?" down to 2160p30.

Problem occurs on H.264 and H.265 file formats.
Timeline resolution: 1920x1080 HD

Important to not that the problem is the same with different source materials on 2 different systems. The details above are my main computer and the other that I tested is an older less capable computer but is able to handle editing with no other issues as far as I can tell.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 2:11 am

Based on the hardware specs, id guess a lack of GPU resources.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

TheRealNickJames

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 3:00 am

Thanks for the reply guys.

Peter, what confuses me is how the system seems to be able to handle everything else without issue, including tons of color parameter changes. I guess the logical next step is to try it on a better setup. And in the mean time saturation will have to suffice in place of color boost.

TheRealNickJames

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 3:17 am

Peter, I was also wondering about the speed test. Can I send you a pic of the results?

RichardCambs

PostSun Jul 30, 2023 4:57 pm

TheRealNickJames wrote:Thanks for the reply guys.

Peter, what confuses me is how the system seems to be able to handle everything else without issue, including tons of color parameter changes. I guess the logical next step is to try it on a better setup. And in the mean time saturation will have to suffice in place of color boost.

This is exactly what I'm seeing. If the contrast number edit is used in combination with other changes on the same node, then this problem may present itself. Even a contrast increase from 1.000 to 1.001 is enough.

The issue seems to be that the contrast adjustment (no matter how small) results in the other grade on the node not being applied to all frames. My experience is flickering due to the shadows grade not being applied to all frames in the clip.

In your case the colour flickers as your colour boost isn't applied to all frames in the clip.

A work around is to split the contrast change into another node on its own - and place it before the other node.

Return to DaVinci Resolve