Required Specs for 6k footage?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

kyanmagic

Required Specs for 6k footage?

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 9:31 pm

THE QUESTION.

Hoping I can get some clarity both on what I should be able to expect from my Macbook pro with regard to editing, grading and generally working with my Black Magic 6k files. And also if my laptop isn't up to spec, what would be the ideal optimum requirements for a machine to enable a smooth work flow?

THE MACHINE.

My laptop specs are MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) - MBP 15.4 GRAY 2.9GHZ/32GB/RP 560X/1TB

THE ISSUE.

I'm new to editing in Davinci etc so please treat me like I'm stupid if there's something obvious I'm doing wrong, but even if I set my timelines resolution to 1080p and the monitoring to 1080p - once I start any basic colour grading e.g basic contrast and temperature and put a wav file underneath it can have periods where it drops frame and stutters/doesn't run smoothly. This is a laptop with 500gb+ of free space that just had a new logic board and refurbishment etc. Is this normal?

I see people online talking about being able to play back their files in 4k smoothly with no issues on a Macbook Pro so I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing.

THE WORKFLOW.

As mentioned I'm new to editing in Davinci and I'm also very impatient (haha), so I tend to shoot whatever I'm shooting in 12 to 1 compression Braw, drag the files in and start working on them straight away. If things get really, really slow then I create proxys, but often with the amount of footage I'm using that can take all night which slows things down massively.

THE ANSWER?

Would love to know your thoughts on what I'm doing wrong, is it me? The laptop ? The workflow? A combination?

At the moment the issues are really halting my creavity and slowing me down which is super frustrating, so massively appreciate any help here.

Thank you in advance !

Kyan

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Jim Simon

Re: Required Specs for 6k footage?

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 3:06 pm

kyanmagic wrote:what I should be able to expect from my Macbook pro with regard to editing, grading and generally working
A horrible user experience. The screens are too small, the keyboards suck, trackpads suck, the speakers suck, you can't have enough internal drives, and you can't easily upgrade the components.

For this work, you need a desktop. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 3:37 pm

Some folks work successfully on laptops in the field, but it's not surprising that color correction of 6K material bogs down with the Radeon 560X. That GPU is inadequate for HD color correction, much less 6K.

Others here with more experience of Macbooks, or this particular one, may be able to offer further guidance.

kyanmagic

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 4:10 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
kyanmagic wrote:what I should be able to expect from my Macbook pro with regard to editing, grading and generally working
A horrible user experience. The screens are too small, the keyboards suck, trackpads suck, the speakers suck, you can't have enough internal drives, and you can't easily upgrade the components.

For this work, you need a desktop. ;)
Ha yes I understand, the issue is a travel a lot so I need a solution on the go. I know some have found solutions so I'm hoping for the best in a bad situation

Uli Plank

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 5:05 pm

That machine would be OK for some editing and basic grading on the road, but you should have a stronger desktop machine at home. Hint: projects are compatible with Windows…

Or you could add a good screen or two, a decent three-button mouse, and (most important) an eGPU with more VRAM.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

kyanmagic

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 5:13 pm

Uli Plank wrote:That machine would be OK for some editing and basic grading on the road, but you should have a stronger desktop machine at home. Hint: projects are compatible with Windows…

Or you could add a good screen or two, a decent three-button mouse, and (most important) an eGPU with more VRAM.
Okay thank you. So nobody is able to run 6k footage off any Macbook of any spec without issue? I always work on the road so hoping there is a midway solution somehow!

Uli Plank

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 9:02 pm

The new M1 machines are doing pretty well, but not for heavy FX.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

peterjackson

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 7:06 am

Buy a top end Windows gaming laptop with a 3080? I found the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 for me after long extensive research.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Uli Plank

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 9:01 am

Which can be a solution, but it won’t last long off-mains and gets loud when working hard.
The price will also be higher than for a comparable desktop and your are less flexible regarding additional hardware.

Return to DaVinci Resolve