Cross Dissolve not working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SugoiSosu

Cross Dissolve not working

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 1:22 pm

First of all, let me clarify I am very new to this and so if what I'm saying comes across as being a little stupid, cut me some slack.

I am currently trying to get a cross dissolve effect to transition between 2 different clips of footage, but it was only applying the effect to the start of the second clip. So I cut an equal amount off the end of the first clip and start of the second clip and turned them into a combined clip. I applied the transition effect and positioning issue was resolved. However, the effect doesn't seem to have any sort of, well..., effect. the doesn't seem to be any transition at the halfway point of the clip and it just immediately cuts between the two. How do I sort this? Cheers.

Jim Simon

Re: Cross Dissolve not working

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 2:39 pm

You don't need the Compound step.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Charles Bennett

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 7:50 pm

This is a quick and rough video I made explaining crossfades and dissolves which may help.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 10:31 pm

SugoiSosu wrote:I am currently trying to get a cross dissolve effect to transition between 2 different clips of footage, but it was only applying the effect to the start of the second clip. So I cut an equal amount off the end of the first clip and start of the second clip and turned them into a combined clip. I applied the transition effect and positioning issue was resolved. However, the effect doesn't seem to have any sort of, well..., effect. the doesn't seem to be any transition at the halfway point of the clip and it just immediately cuts between the two. How do I sort this? Cheers.

If you're dealing with multiple clips, what you could try is stacking the clips on different tracks, and then do a series of individual fade-ins and fade-outs on each clip. That way, you could make one last longer than the others, some fade in half way and stay at that point, and other kinds of tricks frequently used in montages. Manual keyframes and Opacity in the Inspector would allow you do this, and you could also try the keyframe editor below the clip.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve