Program crashes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

sryllexx

Program crashes

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 4:46 pm

Hello,

my DaVinci Resolve Software crashes as I try to watch a imported Video.

The problem occured last Thursday, but as the official support did not reply I seek for help here.

On Wednsday I could normally edit, play the video and render my video. On thursday as I imported some media the program crashed. When I tried again I could import the media but as soon as I pressed play the program crashed. After trying again on Friday and updating to the latest version (I was one version behind but that could not be the problem as I could edit on Wednsday but I updated anyway) I could press play and the first couple seconds played and then my program crashed again. Today I checked if the support replied, which they didn´t and whether I can find a solution online.

Please help me to Resolve my issue.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Program crashes

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 2:27 am

Please see the FAQS about details to report so someone can assist.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

sryllexx

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 12:36 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Please see the FAQS about details to report so someone can assist.

I cannot find such details.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 6:36 am

DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

sryllexx

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 11:50 am

Yes the link helped, thanks!

Contacting Support/ Program Crashes
When I open a new project, import media in it and try to playback the media in the timeline of the project the first few seconds of the media are being played back with a flickering Media Offline warning. After the first few seconds the program just disappears. It closes and the new project is being automatically saved like in the picture.

I can´t delete the project unless I change the name of the project. If I try to open one of the untitled projects and try to play the media in the timeline there, the program also crashes like previously described. As you can see because of the many untitled projects I tried many times to make it work. There never comes an error message

I also put my Resolve Logs here that I found in the Support folder of Resolve. My DxDiag as I work on a Windows and the NFO file.
I already recorded the issue happening, but I can not post the video as the file is too large.
VERSION 17.2.2 BUILD 4

As every file I try to upload is too large here is the OneDrive folder: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjqU_YdpZ7YJp3yBQeN ... M?e=ccO7HL

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 7:15 am

Lets try a simple thing first, that others have reported as working:

Open Windows Device Manager. Select Display Adapters.

Right click on the Intel adapter, and select Disable Device.

Now does Resolve work better?

If not, we'll require a complete Resolve log package, not the single log file you've provided.

If you can start a new project in Resolve, use the Resolve Help menu: Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop to create the log file.

If Resolve won't launch at all, in a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Send us that file.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

sryllexx

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 11:35 pm

Disabling the Intel Display Adapter caused DaVinci to not even be able to create a new project. Just a black screen appears.

The zip file:
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210730-013157.zip
requested DaVinci Logs
(810.52 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 3:21 pm

I'm surprised by that, but indeed, Resolve does not like that. So lets not do that.

It looks like Resolve simply doesn't like the Wekfest Japan 2019. _ 4k.mp4 media file.

I'm not sure having a space in the name, after a . is a good thing.

Make a copy of the file, and rename it Wekfest Japan 2019_4k.mp4 just to be sure.

Assuming that's not the issue, would it be possible to PM me a link to that file, so I can test it here?
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jul 31, 2021 3:08 am

The file is causing the issue. I've forwarded it to the dev team to investigate.

Not sure how well we expect to support an MP4 file with VP09 video codec and Opus audio codec.
Dwaine Maggart

sryllexx

PostSat Jul 31, 2021 11:54 am

Okay thanks for the help.

I just tried another file and it in fact works.

Goodbye! See you around. :D

Return to DaVinci Resolve