Resolve 17 Studio + M1 Mac Mini + black frames on export

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Luca Di Gioacchino

Resolve 17 Studio + M1 Mac Mini + black frames on export

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 3:20 pm

Hey all,

I am exporting graded 8K red raw footage on a 2K timeline and getting intermittent black frames on export. Running Resolve 17 Studio on an M1 Mac Mini with 16g. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Uli Plank

Re: Resolve 17 Studio + M1 Mac Mini + black frames on export

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 4:50 pm

I'm surprised it works at all. Seems quite a bit of overkill for a poor little entry-level machine.
Can you try to scale it down to 4K and export as ProRes 4444 (for example) before you touch it with any other function?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

markr041

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 4:54 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I'm surprised it works at all. Seems quite a bit of overkill for a poor little entry-level machine.
Can you try to scale it down to 4K and export as ProRes 4444 (for example) before you touch it with any other function?

It's not overkill. I routinely export 8K color-graded ProRes video from 8K RAW clips from the Canon R5 on the M1 Mac Mini. The old way of evaluating computer specs does not work with M1 chips. I am not saying one should edit multi-camera 8K, noise-reduced video on such a machine. But it handles high-bitrate, high-resolution RAW easily.
Mark Rosenzweig

Luca Di Gioacchino

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 5:26 pm

Overkill? Absolutely, but that was always part of the plan -- to push this little thing to its limits. And you're right, scaling down to 4K would help. BUT, I had several markers, a lot, actually, in my timeline that I deleted and this seems to have solved the issue of intermittent blacks frames appearing in the renders. The only serious issue I have with the M1 is related to applicable memory running out very quickly, which causes serious overheating during long renders.

Return to DaVinci Resolve