Fairlight bus channel adds tons of noise

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

matthoefler

Fairlight bus channel adds tons of noise

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 3:20 pm

So I added a bus channel in the project I'm working on... like I used to do in Premiere, wanting to group process just the dialog. Well within only a few seconds I can tell the submix channel just by existing with the tracks routed to it is creating an increase in noise. I don't have the two tracks of dialog routed to BOTH the bus AND the main or anything dumb like that.... only to the bus and into the main, yet SOOO much more noise is introduced I just gave up using the bus within a few minutes. Anyone else have this problem ever? What is this? I mix audio with many other programs (premiere, Audition, Ableton Live) and have never seen behavior like this.

Jim Simon

Re: Fairlight bus channel adds tons of noise

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 3:24 pm

I tend to prefer mixing with one track per person, or at least one track per mic, and then tweak that track specifically for that person (mic).

The only thing I might use a submix for is levels.

Would that work for your project?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

matthoefler

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 3:33 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I tend to prefer mixing with one track per person, or at least one track per mic, and then tweak that track specifically for that person (mic).

The only thing I might use a submix for is levels.

Would that work for your project?

I just reported you to the site for consistently posting off topic-- whether or not you're doing it on purpose or not doesn't matter, I can't tell if you're a troll or you really don't care about answering questions and just want attention -- doesn't matter to me. STOP posting here, hopefully you get banned.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 3:40 pm

I tend to answer from the viewpoint of "How can I get the job done so I can get paid?"

Sometimes that means doing things differently.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

matthoefler

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 3:54 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I tend to answer from the viewpoint of "How can I get the job done so I can get paid?"

Sometimes that means doing things differently.

You are WASTING my and everyone else's time on this board by NEVER actually answering the question being asked.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 3:56 pm

Sometimes the answer that works isn't the one you were looking for.

Reader's choice to use that answer, or keep the problem.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 4:00 pm

matthoefler wrote:So I added a bus channel in the project I'm working on...within only a few seconds I can tell the submix channel just by existing with the tracks routed to it is creating an increase in noise
What is the noise floor level?
Is this behaviour present with an active transport or is the transport disengaged?

System spec may be useful: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Return to DaVinci Resolve