How to make a J-cut with the Speed Editor on the Cut page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nikolas Saratsis

How to make a J-cut with the Speed Editor on the Cut page

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 1:07 am

I recently purchased a Speed Editor. After replacing the flaky USB-C cable delivered with device with something good it work works great. I find that the ergonomics of the jog-wheel in Jog and Scroll mode are outstanding (in Shuttle mode not so).

However, while training my muscle memory on the Cut page, I was not able to find a way to make J- and L-cuts on embedded sound. I cannot imagine that those very basic editing actions have been missed when designing the concept of the cut page with the Speed Editor, it's more likely that I just missed the documentation.

Could someone explain how to make a J-cut on embedded sound with the Speed Editor on the Cut page, please?

Nikolas Saratsis

Re: How to make a J-cut with the Speed Editor on the Cut pag

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 7:31 am

A few hours of editing later, I believe that J and L cuts cannot be created on the Cut page. With all respect, if true, that would be a major drawback.

Initially, prior to posting my question above, I was thinking that enabling "Audio Trim" together with "Audio Only" would allow trimming embedded sound. But, it didn't work. Now, I found that when creating those cuts on the Edit page, they are not shown on the Cut page. A smart-insert or ripple-overwrite, splits the sound in pieces, without visualisation.

Perhaps, there's room for a feature request:

I suggest implementing the ability to create J and L cuts on embedded (or locked) sound on the Cut page.
This could be controlled by enabling "Audio Trim" together with "Audio Only".
The moved cut on the audio track should be visible after leaving the trim mode.
The functions "smart-insert" and "ripple-overwrite" should undo the changes on the audio tracks of the adjacent clips (the clips the J and/or L cuts overlap into). Perhaps, that's most easily done by restoring the sound of the adjacent clip to the full length of the video.

Hope that makes sense and thanks for reading it.

Andy Mees

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 2:31 pm

For creating a J & L cuts on the Cut Page, I think you need to move the video onto a different track first... it's described on page 301/302 of the free DaVinci-Resolve-17-Editors-Guide.pdf (available on BMD's Resolve training page).
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Nikolas Saratsis

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 7:44 am

Andy Mees wrote:For creating a J & L cuts on the Cut Page, I think you need to move the video onto a different track first... it's described on page 301/302 of the free DaVinci-Resolve-17-Editors-Guide.pdf (available on BMD's Resolve training page).
Hello,

Thank you.

Unfortunately, what's described there, at the beginning of the chapter 'Using Extra Tracks', doesn't work for me, at least not without additional work on the Edit page. With media (V1, A1+A2) lined up on a single track on the Cut page, when moving a segment up to create a second track and trimming it to overlap, it moves the related sound down to a new audio track and trims it accordingly, which overlaps the sound meaning the audio at the overlap is mixed, no J-cut.

However, it isn't unlikely that I'm doing something wrong. If you have successfully created J and L cuts on the Cut page, perhaps even without using the mouse to move segments (which breaks the flow on the Speed Editor), could you describe what I'm missing?

Andy Mees

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 2:24 pm

Sorry Nikolas, I'm not a Cut Page and/or Speed Editor user, I'm more of a 'JKL' Edit Page kind of guy.
I spent some quality time working through those BMD training manuals in the last couple of weeks and remembered that exercise, hence posted the reference to it. Appreciate now it wasn't Speed Editor specific tho, so apologies it wasn't more helpful.
Hopefully someone more Cut Page / Speed Editor adjacent can help you out.
Cheers
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Nikolas Saratsis

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 7:17 pm

No problem.

Thank you for taking your time to answer. You pointed me to a piece of documentation I had missed so far, much appreciated.

After getting to grips with the basics of the Cut page, I made a few rough cuts with the Speed Editor, no mouse operations and only the shortcuts for match frame and redo on the keyboard, and the results impressed me much in terms of time to finish and precision. The ergonomics of the jog-wheel in jog-mode is pure fun. I find, if one is cutting news for a living, it's the device to dream of. However, without a straight forward method to make J/L cuts without a hassle, there's something very basic missing but, I placed my feature request already , just in case nobody has an answer to my question, because it doesn't exist.

Have a nice day!
Nikolas

bryantocara

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 2:34 am

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Split edits (J or L cuts) in the Cuts page

Sent from my motorola razr using Tapatalk

Nikolas Saratsis

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 11:43 am

bryantocara wrote:https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Eblackmagicdesign%2Ecom%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Ft%3D125586&share_tid=125586&share_fid=57459&share_type=t&link_source=app

Split edits (J or L cuts) in the Cuts page

Thanks for that. It shows that I'm not the only one missing it and that the problem is know.

As far as I can see, when trimming, the combination Audio Trim enabled and Audio Only disabled has the same function as Audio Trim enabled and Audio Only enabled . If true, the latter could be used for split edits on V1,A1. It obviously needs some thoughts how to display and handle existing split edits on the Cut page, but that's already true without any new feature.

bryantocara

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 1:01 pm

The ctrl+shift+[ or ] commands are a good workaround if you really want to force yourself to make J&L cuts in the Cut Page, but recently, I've been finding it much easier to shift+7 to jump quickly to the Fairlight page make J&L cuts there with the video tracks enabled because by default everything is unlinked on the Fairlight page. I've convinced myself to go by the philosophy to use all the pages together without the mentality of having to stay only on one page. Some pages are better for different things, and I had to remind myself that the cut page is designed FOR SPEED, not finesse, so I don't get mad anymore and curse out the Cut Page (I used to LOL). That's my two cents! I'm currently editing using the Cut Page for all roughs and assemblies using the Speed Editor, Edit Page for fine-tuning, then Fairlight, Fusion, and Color for finishing, but sometimes I jump to those pages while I'm still assembling to make quick adjustments before really picture-locking something and only focusing on finishing.

Sent from my motorola razr using Tapatalk

Return to DaVinci Resolve