Does the number of timelines affect performance?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ardelle

Does the number of timelines affect performance?

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 1:08 pm

Hello,

I have a thousand XML sequences to migrate from Premiere to DR. In an ideal case I would just import them all it would save me the most time so that I don't have to choose which ones to import.

However I wonder if it would slow down the performance? Does it matter how many timelines a project has?
There are basically no effects, just straight cuts, the project resolution is 768x432 (25fps), timelines would be on that resolution too.

Thanks,
DR 17.2.2. (build 4)
Mac Mini M1 8 GB
Big Sur 11.6.8

Jim Simon

Re: Does the number of timelines affect performance?

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 1:41 pm

I've never noticed the number of timelines having an effect on overall performance, but the most I've ever used is around 30.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

dahya.mistry

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 4:39 pm

I'm sure I have read somewhere in the manuals or something that it can/does affect performance however, all you need to do it to disable the timelines that you don't need (right click and disable timeline), and re-enable them when you do need them. I think it's to do with loading them all in memory or something?

ardelle

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 5:48 pm

dahya.mistry wrote:disable the timelines

Great tip, never heard of that.
Well I decided to just proceed and see it for myself. So far 82 timelines imported all still enabled.
My project with 0 timelines took 55 seconds to open. 82 timelines takes 64 seconds to open.
So still in terms of opening the project it's not a biggie. I guess I will see when all is in whether there are more frequent crashes or other issues.

Will report back.
DR 17.2.2. (build 4)
Mac Mini M1 8 GB
Big Sur 11.6.8

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 1:46 am

Unless all these timelines are for one project, and even then, i dont recommend this for the average system as there are performance and hardware utilization trade offs.

You should make a project for each different project and import the xmls for just that project.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

ardelle

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 9:27 am

Thanks Peter, I would not recommend this workflow for myself either, but it seems to be the most time-efficient step for me now. The alternative is to go through each scene and assess whether it's worth importing or not.

Sequences are all for the same project. Basically different versions of scenes of a massive documentary project, created in search of a workflow. (would not opt for that now)

The goal is to successfully migrate the entire project away from Premiere and never to return.
So I think I need all the sequences under the same project for now, (haven't tried the workflow with dynamic switching yet) but when I get everything under one project and move on to my rough cut, I think I'll make a new project and keep the number of sequences civil.
DR 17.2.2. (build 4)
Mac Mini M1 8 GB
Big Sur 11.6.8

Return to DaVinci Resolve