How the F do you buy Resolve Studio?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

matthoefler

How the F do you buy Resolve Studio?

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 1:26 am

So I've been contemplating dropping the money on the full version of Resolve considering it's only $300... so I go into trying to buy it, only to find the website linking me to "find a reseller," uhhhhh...WHAT?

the Blackmagic site can't be responsible for it's own full version of it's software? So I'm looking at B&H and can't figure out HOW you buy Resolve only to FINALLY figure it out (I think).

You have to buy this thing called a Speed Editor, which apparently is actually a dongle, and THAT is how you get the full studio version?

Jesus Christ... I was ABOUT to buy it too, what is this bull****? So not only can I not just pay for it and have it NOW, I have to buy this piece of junk and WAIT for it to arrive in the mail??????? Does the software come on six separate CDRs that I have to install in series as well, or.....

What if you just buy the Resolve mini panel... do you get the studio version for that, or do you need the speed editor still just to have the full version of Resolve????

BOY, DOES THEIR BUSINESS SENSE SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to studio version, I don't want some crappy "speed editor" taking up space on my desk just to have it... WHAT ARE THEY THINKING???????

I also though once you buy the studio version you get all the updates in the future for free... HOW CAN THAT BE WHEN I HAVE TO BUY THE SOFTWARE FROM A RESELLER??????

They really don't care if they ever beat Adobe do they, or have they already just given up?

Jason Conrad

Re: How the F do you buy Resolve Studio?

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 2:06 am

There's also an Apple App store version, if you're on Mac.

And at least when I bought my speed editor, there was an option for a physical dongle or an activation code. I have both. The physical dongle is nice sometimes because it'll work on any computer and doesn't require an internet connection. Activation codes are convenient, and don't take up a USB slot.

You can download the Studio version from BMD's support site, as long as you have an activation code. If you try to activate on too many computers, it just revokes the extras.

If you buy from an online retailer, and they sell the activation code version, they can probably email, but I can't say because every copy I've ever gotten came free with a camera or other hardware... which is how BMD makes their money, so no complaints here.

For C4D, I had to buy through toolfarm, so I don't think BMD are alone. I think it's easier for a lot of smaller companies to deal with international trade law by selling through distributers... just a guess.

Adobe is a behemoth... and one with consumer hostile lock-in schemes. They make it easy to get in and hard to get out... kind of like the mafia. And it's not just the business side of lock-in, either. They also make the software easy to install, but almost impossible to remove. Should be classified as malware.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

matthoefler

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 2:16 am

I'm (luckily) not and never will be a Mac user...

and good thing too considering the reviews for Resolve Studio bought from the Apple Store are overwhelmingly negative... so that means either the dongle or the activation option, which through this website I can't seem to find... I found the dongle version on Amazon... how do I know that's not fake. And it you download the software from the blackmagic site anyway, why do I buy the activation code OR the dongle from a reseller?

This whole thing stinks.... I was literally in the mood to drop the money an hour ago, and now I just don't know.... who needs this rigamarole????? Why the hell don't they just have the activation code sold ON this site that then works with your blackmagic account and email like everything else in 2021????

Jack Swart

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 5:03 am

You can buy the V16 dongle from B&H.
It will run Resolve 17 Studio and Fusion 17 Studio.
All the dongles have always worked on all future upgrades.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... s=pi&pim=Y
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

Mark Foster

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 7:41 am

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Uli Plank

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 7:46 am

Of course, you can buy it without the Speed Editor, but why should one do that as long as the offer lasts?
If you don't need it, just sell it!
I got my SE for half the price, while a friend of mine saved money on his DR license.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

roger.magnusson

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 9:54 am

matthoefler wrote:I want to studio version, I don't want some crappy "speed editor" taking up space on my desk just to have it... WHAT ARE THEY THINKING???????

The DaVinci Resolve Studio activation key (or dongle) is the same price as a Speed Editor. BMD is currently (for a limited time) giving away the Speed Editor when you buy DaVinci Resolve Studio. That's it. Some retailers no longer list just the activation key/dongle as that would be a support nightmare if the customer finds out they could have got a Speed Editor for free.

The Speed Editor isn’t a dongle, you don’t need to use it.
See the FAQs at the top of the Resolve forum for info on the differences between an activation key and a dongle. Some people prefer a dongle as it doesn’t require an internet connection. The activation key needs internet connectivity from time to time but is easier to use on a laptop and can be used on two different systems at the same time.

matthoefler wrote:I also though once you buy the studio version you get all the updates in the future for free... HOW CAN THAT BE WHEN I HAVE TO BUY THE SOFTWARE FROM A RESELLER??????

All updates are free, you download them from https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion (or automatically update from within Resolve if you have enabled notifications for new updates). You only need the retailer to buy the license. BMD is mainly a hardware company and have chosen to use their retail channels for everything.

And seriously, calm down.

Uli Plank

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 11:22 am

BM never promised that all future updates would be free, but they have been for many years until now.

BuckHIcks

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 12:45 pm

You can buy an activation key from Core Micro https://www.coremicro.com/blackmagic-de ... dv-resstud

I bought the key from them and received it within a couple of hours after the purchase.
Last edited by BuckHIcks on Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildlifeVideo

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 1:43 pm

I am just now starting to use Resolve (bought it from B&H two days ago, been and still use another NLE for 15 years) because I have a specific need ($300 is seriously nothing for such a product). The combo buy just might be the buy of the decade IMHO. And one good thing about B&H if there is ever a problem you get good customer support (given the $10k's I spent there I bought enough to have experience a few issues).

I think if you have reason to use the Cut Page frequently this deal will pay for itself very quickly. Seriously do yourself a big favor and get the deal. Don't like the hardware sell it for $150 and be ahead of the game. Life in these times can make you upset over things that don't merit raising the heart beat, I think this is one of them.
Ryzen 9 5900x and a RX 6700XT 12 GB GPU with 64 gigs of 3600 ram, two 1 gig SSD, 6 TB internal, 15 gig external 7200 spinners.
Resolve Studio, Creative Cloud (PS/LR), Studio One v6, Mercalli SA v6 AI

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 2:34 pm

It is true that BMD does things a little differently than one might expect.

You can purchase a Resolve Studio license either as an Activation Code printed on a credit card, or as a USB Dongle you plug into the system. The Speed Editor is included free in both cases.

But even without the Speed Editor, you'd still have to wait for a physical shipment to arrive in the mail. BMD doesn't sell licenses directly, nor as a download.

Both options are available at B&H.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... tudio.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... tudio.html
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

BuckHIcks

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 3:55 pm

BMD doesn't sell licenses directly, nor as a download.

The one exception to that is the Core Microsystems link I mentioned above. They will email you a key shortly after the purchase (USA only).

From the link:

NOTE: NO physical product ships, Davinci Resolve 17 Studio (Activation Key) delivers only by email.

Order Processing Time: Monday - Friday 9am to 5pm PST
Available for U.S Customers Only (Manufacturer Restrictions)
DaVinci Resolve Studio Software is non-returnable or non-refundable. No Exception.

dave4443

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 5:00 pm

Like others said a few retail stores in your country will sell it.

But I also agree, it's the stupidest way to sell a product in this day and age and they would make way more sales if they just swapped to a normal way of doing it like, purchase, email a key and done

roger.magnusson

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 6:09 pm

Maybe they determined that they need the retailers more than they need DaVinci Resolve Studio sales, that they don't want to be in competition with them. There might be contracts, etc, etc.

matthoefler

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 6:49 pm

BuckHIcks wrote:You can buy an activation key from Core Micro https://www.coremicro.com/blackmagic-de ... dv-resstud

I bought the key from them and received it within a couple of hours after the purchase.

YESSSS, this is the option I'm looking for!!! Of course it's the last one on their "reseller's list

matthoefler

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 6:52 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Of course, you can buy it without the Speed Editor, but why should one do that as long as the offer lasts?
If you don't need it, just sell it!
I got my SE for half the price, while a friend of mine saved money on his DR license.

Yeah, I eventually thought of that... but then I don't know how that would pan out when people buy the speed editor specifically to get the Studio version. I can't imagine anyone having the studio version and then buying the speed editor separately...everyone is likely to move onto one of the more advanced panels.

I have a feeling the speed editor is one of those things that every Goodwill store will have 10 of very soon.

Uli Plank

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 6:56 pm

I'm sure there are thousands of amateurs who bought the Studio license before this deal showed up, since working with the free version and GOP codecs on a PC just sucks. Quite a few of these might want the SE.

The name Studio doesn't imply that only high-end studios with large and expensive panels use the software.

Bo_Hazem

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 7:53 pm

It's strange but bought from amazon anyway. Bought the activation key and it eats 10-bit 4:2:2 4K@120fps like nothing without proxies. Pushed the clip to 4K@1000fps and the playback was still rock-solid with zero stutter.

After using the free version since 2019, it's worth every penny. But be aware that you can't export 10-bit 4:2:2 in most PC's with H.265, which is pretty bad. I'm settling for 8-bit at the moment for youtube and social media.
Camera: Sony A7S III.
PC: Asus Crosshair Hero VII (PCIe 3.0), AMD Ryzen 2700x, AMD Radeon VII 16GB HBM2, 32GB RAM, 1TB 3.5GB/s Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB SATA3 SSD, Windows 10 Pro.
Editor: DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.

jamedia

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 8:52 pm

matthoefler wrote:.everyone is likely to move onto one of the more advanced panels.

I have a feeling the speed editor is one of those things that every Goodwill store will have 10 of very soon.

Neither comment is true. Most users are highly unlikely to more to a more advanced panel. So the speed editor is not going to appear in charity shops. Besides it is a quality piece of kit. Not at all "crappy"

I didn't really understand until I read the history of Resolve.... It has been squarely in the high end major film studio market for the many years since it, and it's components, started. However with the advent the free Resolve and the $300 Studio I think that the vast majority of the users are now not in the high end film world. Most are going to be YouTubers.
Looking at the ATEM Minis and other cameras BMD are doing I think they are investing in the huge new market of film makers.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 9:52 pm

BuckHIcks wrote:They will email you a key shortly after the purchase
Some retailers do that. Personally, I'm not a fan of a retailer opening my purchase. One unscrupulous employee and that code goes who knows where.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 9:54 pm

matthoefler wrote:I don't know how that would pan out when people buy the speed editor specifically to get the Studio version.
It's actually the other way around. If you buy the Speed Editor, you only get the Speed Editor.

If you buy Studio, you also get the Speed Editor.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 9:56 pm

matthoefler wrote:everyone is likely to move onto one of the more advanced panels.
The panels are actually for the Color page. The Speed Editor is primarily designed for the Cut page. (Some functions work on Edit, but not all.)

Different hardware serving different purposes. They don't "compete", as it were.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Bo_Hazem

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 2:32 am

Jim Simon wrote:
matthoefler wrote:I don't know how that would pan out when people buy the speed editor specifically to get the Studio version.
It's actually the other way around. If you buy the Speed Editor, you only get the Speed Editor.

If you buy Studio, you also get the Speed Editor.

Yeah I bought Studio 17 and got that Speed Editor for free. I have no clue on how to use it but it was included for free although I didn't want it. Might give it a shot.
Camera: Sony A7S III.
PC: Asus Crosshair Hero VII (PCIe 3.0), AMD Ryzen 2700x, AMD Radeon VII 16GB HBM2, 32GB RAM, 1TB 3.5GB/s Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB SATA3 SSD, Windows 10 Pro.
Editor: DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.

Return to DaVinci Resolve