Slow Color Correction - Resolve Studio 17

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AbbeBusoni

Slow Color Correction - Resolve Studio 17

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 12:49 am

Hello all,

I am relatively new to Davinci Resolve and I am currently doing my first real color correction project on it.

When I first started grading everything was going great, it was fast to respond and fast to play the clips.
After doing about 35% of the 85 clips I have, I realized I was going to need noise reduction so I bought the Studio version and added a bit of noise reduction to every clip. From that point I realized that when I tried to move the color wheel it would take a moment before it would show on the scopes. I am not sure if it is because of Studio or of the Noise Reduction.
I continued working but the more clips I did the worse it got. It is now to a point where any time I change something it takes about one second for the scopes to show any change.

I checked and if I create a new project with the same clips but no grading is done yet then it is super quick as usual.

Usually what I have for each clip is noise reduction, one or more nodes with color wheels adjustments and then a series of layered nodes to change the skin tones of each person on screen (matte, windowed, then tracked and color adjusted). Mostly standard stuff.

I guess my issue could be due to my system but my computer is brand new and pretty strong. My activity monitor also says that my processor is 5% used and memory used is 25/64gb. My database is saved on my external SSD. Here are the details:

27-inch Imac
Processor: 3.3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5300 4 GB
External SSD: Samsung T7 - 2T - 1,050mb/s read 1,000mb/s write - USB 3.2 Gen2

Is there anything I can do to try and speed it up? Is there any chance that an update in Resolve might help me with my problem? Could the problem come from the fact that my database is on an external drive?

I still have a lot of grading to do and I want to add more effects so any ideas to improve my situation are welcome. Thanks in advance for your help!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Slow Color Correction - Resolve Studio 17

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 2:30 am

move to Resolve forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jack Fairley

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 2:33 am

Your GPU is too slow to handle real time noise reduction nicely. I would try using a cache for those nodes.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Uli Plank

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 8:00 am

Another solution might be rendering the clips with NR into ProRes 422 HQ or even 444 and work with those further on. NR in realtime would need a very high-end GPU, which is pretty much impossible to buy right now.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

AbbeBusoni

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 9:10 pm

Thanks for your responses!
I've tried caching the nodes with noise reduction but that hasn't changed anything.

I've noticed something odd though: If I try to do modifications to the last clip in my timeline then the program runs pretty smoothly. However if I try to change one that is right after all the clips I've already done it is impossibly slow. Any idea why that is?

Thanks.

Return to DaVinci Resolve