DaVinci Data Created Files Problem

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AlexMusin

DaVinci Data Created Files Problem

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 9:40 pm

llo everyone! I have a problem. I shot on different cameras with the same time set on them and I see the shooting time in the finder (mac os), but when exporting files to Davicni 17, it will change the creation time to the change time. This is very inconvenient and I do not know what to do.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 5.37.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 5.37.14 PM.png (324.18 KiB) Viewed 2474 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Davicni Data Created Files Problem

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 2:51 am

moved to Resolve forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 3:43 pm

If I understand correctly, the Date Created for exports will be the date and time of their creation, not the original media.

This makes sense, and I don't think we can change that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

AlexMusin

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 6:26 pm

Mac os, Final Cut, Adobe premiere - they see the correct date of creation and the date of the change. Why can't Davinci?

John Paines

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 7:21 pm

In your example, the "modified" date in the finder matches the creation date in Resolve. Why would you be modifying camera files, before adding them to Resolve (or any other editing app)?

If you take the files straight off the media into Resolve, you'll get the correct creation date, which will be the same, at least initially, as the modified date.

AlexMusin

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 2:15 pm

Have you ever edited videos from 3-4 cameras? When you can't set a filter and see the files by the time of file creation, this is quite problematic. Everyone who does this wants to see the time of file creation (shooting time) and it is displayed everywhere except DaVinci.
No offense, but I think your question is stupid.

We are discussing a real software problem, which has been written about on various forums for more than one year, and if you don't need these functions, it doesn't mean that you also don't need to see the date and time of shooting files inside the program.

Peter Cave

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 1:24 am

I also see this problem.

For those that don't understand the issue:

On MacOS the Modified date/time is changed when the media is copied to a local disk drive.
Resolve reads the MODIFIED date/time as the CREATED date/time, even though the file contains BOTH sets of data. This makes sorting by the date/time of the shoot almost impossible when using filters and smart bins.

ONLY Resolve has this issue. All my other apps read the Creation Date correctly.
Resolve 18.6.2 Mac OSX 13.6 Ventura
Mac Studio Max 32GB UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Simon

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 1:43 pm

That clears it up. Thanks, Peter.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

AlexMusin

Re: DaVinci Data Created Files Problem

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 1:47 am

I wonder if the developers are not ashamed? I wrote to support 2 times and they are just silent. Is this normal? Look at the photo
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 9.05.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 9.05.50 PM.png (185.92 KiB) Viewed 2240 times

Marc Wielage

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 6:58 am

As a workaround, you could use Metadata to keep track of shoot dates, takes, scenes, notes, and all the other information. This will be visible throughout the project, as long as you're working in Resolve.

This also shows the value of slates, which are integral to good workflow since it gives you a precise visual identifier of every shot and every scene.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Peter Cave

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 8:02 am

Marc Wielage wrote:As a workaround, you could use Metadata to keep track of shoot dates, takes, scenes, notes, and all the other information. This will be visible throughout the project, as long as you're working in Resolve.

This also shows the value of slates, which are integral to good workflow since it gives you a precise visual identifier of every shot and every scene.

That works for a limited style of program.
We do a lot of reality shows where we need to keep track of multiple cameras in multiple locations.
The time sequence of events is critical and slates are impossible.
Adding metadata for very shot is not an option due to time constraints.

This is a VERY serious oversight by BMD!

TheBloke

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 9:52 am

I agree that this is a bug, and a potentially a very annoying one.

I have a workaround.

It involves running a script from the command line (Terminal) that updates the modification date of the files to match the creation date. Therefore because Resolve loads the modification date into both 'Date Modified' and 'Date Created' fields, it will now see the creation date in both those fields, rather than the modification date.

It's a bit of a hack.. but it works.

The script I've quickly written processes all files in a given folder, so this process works best if all the video files are in the same folder on disk. If the video files are in many folders, the command as currently written will need to be run multiple times.

I could improve this so it can process separate folders, if it proves useful to the OP or anyone.

Instructions:

1. Open the Terminal app.
2. type "cd" followed by space, then drag from Finder the folder containing the video file(s), then hit enter - this changes the active directory in Terminal to the one with the video files.
3. Paste in the following script:

Code: Select all
for file in *.mov ; do echo -n "Processing ${file}:" ; touch -am -t "$(stat -f "%SB" -t "%Y%m%d%H%M.%S" "$file")" "$file" && echo " OK" || echo " ERROR" ; done

4. The script will look for files with a .mov extension. If your files have a different extension, change *.mov to match your actual extension (mp4, braw, etc). This is case insensitive.

5. Hit enter
6. Import your files into Resolve, and note that both Modified and Created dates are now using the original Created Date, as desired.

Here's a short video tutorial:

Disclaimer: This overwrites your Date Modified field. You cannot get back the old value after running this. So if Date Modified contains important data for you, do NOT run this. You could take a backup of the video files first if you want to make reference to the original Date Modified for any reason.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

AlexMusin

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 8:23 pm

That is amazing work! thank you!
but, Why don't the developers want to fix it? this is an old problem!!

TheBloke wrote:I agree that this is a bug, and a potentially a very annoying one.

I have a workaround.

It involves running a script from the command line (Terminal) that updates the modification date of the files to match the creation date. Therefore because Resolve loads the modification date into both 'Date Modified' and 'Date Created' fields, it will now see the creation date in both those fields, rather than the modification date.

It's a bit of a hack.. but it works.

The script I've quickly written processes all files in a given folder, so this process works best if all the video files are in the same folder on disk. If the video files are in many folders, the command as currently written will need to be run multiple times.

I could improve this so it can process separate folders, if it proves useful to the OP or anyone.

Instructions:

1. Open the Terminal app.
2. type "cd" followed by space, then drag from Finder the folder containing the video file(s), then hit enter - this changes the active directory in Terminal to the one with the video files.
3. Paste in the following script:

Code: Select all
for file in *.mov ; do echo -n "Processing ${file}:" ; touch -am -t "$(stat -f "%SB" -t "%Y%m%d%H%M.%S" "$file")" "$file" && echo " OK" || echo " ERROR" ; done

4. The script will look for files with a .mov extension. If your files have a different extension, change *.mov to match your actual extension (mp4, braw, etc). This is case insensitive.

5. Hit enter
6. Import your files into Resolve, and note that both Modified and Created dates are now using the original Created Date, as desired.

Here's a short video tutorial:

Disclaimer: This overwrites your Date Modified field. You cannot get back the old value after running this. So if Date Modified contains important data for you, do NOT run this. You could take a backup of the video files first if you want to make reference to the original Date Modified for any reason.

Jack Swart

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 10:09 pm

I never noticed this until a few days ago.
Following with interest.
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

JonathanCampbell999

PostWed Apr 06, 2022 8:41 pm

Ive had the same problem. But Peter is incorrect when he says all other programs do. FCPX doest and hasn't since an early 10 version. Ive just had hundreds of files sent to me by a client who doesn't understand how to wrangle his data and of course both FCPX and Davinci see the date modified when he uploaded them to cards. However FCPX can't deal with it but in Davinci all I had to do was add the "date modified' and "date created" to my bin information. Strangely Davinci saw the original date created as the date modified but therefore all I had to do was sort that column by date ascending and boom...all in order. There were 5 different cameras and all now are aligned correctly. No need to do anything else.

And all would add is if you are work several different cameras every day buy some timecode generators. Then non of this is an issue?

Peter Cave

PostThu Apr 07, 2022 5:38 am

JonathanCampbell999 wrote:Ive had the same problem. But Peter is incorrect when he says all other programs do. FCPX doest and hasn't since an early 10 version.

Resolve 17.4.6 is showing Created date and Modified date correctly.
FCPX has always displayed correctly for me with media that has been transferred from original camera sources and has not been modified by 3rd party apps.

Uli Plank

PostFri Apr 08, 2022 2:00 am

Same here for both.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Drakulica

PostThu May 19, 2022 7:53 am

Peter Cave wrote:
JonathanCampbell999 wrote:Ive had the same problem. But Peter is incorrect when he says all other programs do. FCPX doest and hasn't since an early 10 version.

Resolve 17.4.6 is showing Created date and Modified date correctly.
FCPX has always displayed correctly for me with media that has been transferred from original camera sources and has not been modified by 3rd party apps.

No, it is not fixed in version 17.4. on windows

Camuel

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 8:28 pm

Not fixed in Resolve 18 Studio on Windows. It's infuriating.

Charles Bennett

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 9:05 pm

Does this help?
Attachments
Clip Dates.jpg
Clip Dates.jpg (284.31 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Charles Bennett

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 9:17 pm

Windows follows the same naming convention.
Attachments
Dates in Windows.jpg
Dates in Windows.jpg (210.65 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Charles Bennett

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 9:42 pm

The only time you get any correlation between the Date Created and the Date Modified is if you look at the original camera media. There are some slight differences in the times which takes into account the file length in the Date Modified column.
Camera Media in Windows.jpg
Camera Media in Windows.jpg (177.48 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
Camera Media in Resolve.jpg
Camera Media in Resolve.jpg (187.77 KiB) Viewed 1316 times

So, no fix needed as Resolve is showing the correct information.

Return to DaVinci Resolve