Hardware for editing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jhgoodwin

Hardware for editing

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 4:55 pm

Hi,

With the GPU shortages, it is hard to size a new computer. I have no problem buying the paid version of DaVinci Resolve. I am a bit put off paying such overages on good GPUs, though. Even bad ones are overpriced.

To that end, I was wondering:

If running Resolve with a mediocre GPU (sufficient to output to the monitors smoothly), but a top end CPU like a 5950X or a ThreadRipper 3960X would it have reasonable performance?

My expected use case would be sourced from an ATEM mini extreme iso with probably 4 inputs, two of them being source cameras. I am considering getting a BMPCC 4k or Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Pro and letting it save in BRAW on the camera to help framing/zooming in post.

When I say reasonable, I mean I'd like to scrub/work without noticeable lag (not talking about the odd frame lost here/there) and some simple effects. These will be lesson videos, not an Avengers-style movie.

My current computer is a Ryzen 7 3700X w/ 64GB RAM @ 3200Mhz, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 EVO, RTX 2060 w/ 6GB.

I think this computer would probably be okay, but I wanted to know what my options are if I need a computer for another person to work with me if I wasn't going to share this one.

Jim Simon

Re: Hardware for editing

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 3:05 pm

I have a Rule of Thumb which has never failed me.

1. If you shoot H.264, edit with Proxies.
2. If you don't want to create Proxies, don't shoot H.264.

For Resolve, I actually favor using Optimized Media over the new Proxy feature. Same idea, though. I've always found Cineform at 1/4 resolution gives me great results.

As the ATEM ISO models do record H.264, my choice would be to apply that Rule, regardless of hardware.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

peterjackson

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 3:21 pm

No, aim for a 3080 at least.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

John Paines

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 3:42 pm

It's always perilous giving advice in these situations, not knowing exactly how you work or what you intend to do, but if you work on an HD timeline and color correction and fx are restricted to the very basic, you can manage with a GPU a good deal worse than the 2060 you're now using.

Timeline responsiveness/scrubbing will reflect the codec you're working with and the fx you've applied, so there's no simple answer to that question, nor is there any assurance that a high-end GPU would give you great performance in all cases.

Others here will tell you that you can't possibly work without such and such.... It depends on the demands you're making on the GPU. Cuts editing, and simple primary color corrections/sizing do not pose high demands on the GPU.

Return to DaVinci Resolve