Finding the edge of the viewer

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jo0000

Finding the edge of the viewer

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 10:28 pm

Hi, I'm a total newbie. I'm on Version 17.2 Build 11.
I'm using Resolve to put my photography time lapses together.

In Edit, I'm having trouble finding the edges of the timeline viewer when I'm adjusting the scaling of my clips. My clips are 1080 x 720, and when they are imported they "fit" the viewer but need to be rescaled to 1920 x 1080. For most clips that's as easy as hitting "stretch". But for some clips this doesn't work so well - specifically moon time lapses in my case. So for these clips I need to hit "fill" BUT sometimes I need to move the frame up or down, depending on the content I want to keep. Here's where my problem starts.

When I move the clip up or down using Transform, I'm not very steady with my hand, and I always move a few pixels left or right also. With the black background on the viewer, I can't see where the edge of the player is, so I can't ever tell if I've filled the player.

I've tried to find a way to change the UI theme to lighter shades, but it appears this isn't an option. So I tried to find where there might be some guide lines that I could use to mark the edges of the viewer, or snapping, but these also don't appear to be an option.

Currently my best fix is to put a really brightly coloured clip in a second timeline underneath the one I need to rescale, and make sure I cover it completely. It's a pretty crude workaround, and I'm guessing, since this software is clearly so advanced and exceedingly well thought through, that my problem must somehow be easily solved by some setting or dropdown box I have overlooked.

I've searched extensively through the forum for a solution with no success, but have come to the conclusion that perhaps I'm not finding an answer because I don't know what I should be searching for!
Any assistance most appreciated.

I know it's probably a dumb newbie question, but I've been struggling with it a while now, so it's time to ask!
TIA, Jo

Jim Simon

Re: Finding the edge of the viewer

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 3:02 pm

A white Solid Color on V1 is your best option, I think.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Sean Nelson

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 4:25 pm

jo0000 wrote:My clips are 1080 x 720, and when they are imported they "fit" the viewer but need to be rescaled to 1920 x 1080.

I use math for this. If you want to scale to fit the horizontal dimension, you need to zoom by 1920/1080 = 1.78. If you want to scale to fit the vertical dimension you need to zoom by 1080 / 720 = 1.5. Then just type that number into the "zoom" value in the Inspector panel.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

eikonoklastes

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 5:21 am

Maybe toggling the Viewer Overlay might be of help to you. The shortcut is Shift + `

Return to DaVinci Resolve